Author Topic: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?  (Read 6498 times)

Re: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 02:43:12 pm »
Yeah, not everyone plays music CDs anymore, but plenty of people do or there wouldn't still be music sections of stores or record stores. That's as broad of a statement as saying everyone just downloads or streams games, nobody buys physical (which every single person here would cry out that they like physical better).

My point is that while it's not the main means of music anymore, it's not expensive or difficult to add an audio player app to something that already has a disc drive. Or if they didn't even want to bother with that, they could have just let you download another app from the PlayStation store for. It literally would have only been an app approval for them and done. Not saying that I'm not gonna buy a console over that, though. Just saying it seems very lazy since it's so easy to do.

Yes there is always people buying music CDs in my area, and online stores like Walmart and Amazon do still go out of stock on there items, continually. but  as far as streaming serves goes, if you have a data cap on your internet for phone or device.

Then you might be using tons of data up within 30 minutes, every second you hear a song or even a commercial or video you're using data (lots of data) each second. It much nicer to just have your own collection.

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 02:52:39 pm »
I still miss the audio visualizer from the PS1.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 03:15:01 pm »
I have to ask now, does the PS4 even read any media player for Digital Music (MP3 etc.) quiet honestly I just listen to my music through my laptop or phone. I really just rip my CD's onto my computer and keep them as a physical backup nowadays. especially since I know I have several I can't buy online digitally.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 10:02:44 pm »
I still miss the audio visualizer from the PS1.

yea it was kind of neat, really SONY were the first to do this I think, Microsoft Windows XP later did similar visuals in the early 2000's for Windows Media Player.

And many might not know it but the PlayStation 3 operating systems also come with three different visualizers built into the PS3 software.

one of the visualizers is used as my avatar, That earth photo on my forum avatar, is actually one of the music visualizers that came built into the PlayStation 3's operating system, That visualizer shows a moving video of the earth sun and moon, and while that displays so does your song information.

I had my camera ready put on some music and then turned on one of the visualizers and took that photo off my television screen.

I am not responsible for the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gud7hiPRM0
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:12:52 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 12:14:55 am »
It has Spotify. I'll take that over music CD's.

Xbox One has both.

I'm a collector, music CDs included. I moved my PS4 into the living room to be my new blu-player. Went to put in a CD to play through the sound system, and nothing happened. So I looked it up online and learned it just doesn't play them, I was very surprised.

If you have a disc drive already in the console, it is very little work to make a CD player program, or even allow for someone's else's CD playback to work on it. The Sega CD could do this, for crying out loud.

The PS4 has been out since when, and in all that time you just recently found out it doesn't play audio CDs? I mean, I get it, but you're crying over spilled milk at this point. Here's a wild idea, though; rip the CDs you want to listen to and import them to a USB drive. I think Sony even has a page for this specifically somewhere in their website.

Playing CDs was a low-demand feature, as far as I've read, and as droaa pointed out, Sony at the time was pushing their streaming service, plus they were also being stingy. Plain and simple, the PS4 doesn't have the hardware to play CDs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:50:47 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 12:47:19 am »
I just realized.

I feel like I keep repeating myself and making the same statements over and over. and if I am, I apologize. to this forum. sorry if my statements are annoying anyone.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:51:02 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

mark1982

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 04:32:13 am »
I believe it's all subjective, if you ask us collectors here the majority of us will say previous gens are better because there were no Day 1 patches, no 50GB add ons, games worked as they should from day 1, etc.

However if you ask a modern gamer about this they really couldn't care less to be honest. Majority of people playing games are buying digital and loathe collection clutter. Video game collectors are a dying breed when you look at the large scale of things. Last I heard digital sales for PS4 is up ahead by 74% compared to people buying physical, so the PS5 is gonna be the last console with physical games at this rate.

Music CDs are pretty much alien to kids and young adults these days when everything is so readily available on Spotify. Modern consoles have apps for Music, Youtube, Netflix, storefronts, etc. And that to a modern gamer is quality compared to being able to play a music CD from the disc drive.

Sony and Microsoft are just catering to the overall majority of their consumer base to earn a profit. Just look at how popular Game Pass is, the gaming industry is saying it's the best thing to come out of this generation and I don't blame them, to a modern gamer it's a no brainer to subscribe to Game Pass because the value behind it is too good to pass up. For me as a collector I couldn't give a damn because I have a large majority of those games I'm interested in being offered and my main concern is if my physical game is backward compatible to run on an Xbox One.

Quality wise the modern consoles are pretty solid with 500GB / 1TB storage options, they just cater to a different crowd, the young and upcoming crowd that is. For me I don't use any of the additional apps on my PS4 or XB1, I just use it to play my physical games and connect it online to just download the latest patches or DLC's I'm interested in. The modern console is just not built for me, accepted it a long time ago but I still enjoy what modern gaming has to offer.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:42:50 am by mark1982 »
  l    l 

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 05:46:52 am »
8th gen definitely has some ups in quality

It's only barriers might be micro transactions, to much dlc and making games to easy/casual while leaving no options for the core players.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:12:40 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 10:41:37 am »
Plain and simple, the PS4 doesn't have the hardware to play CDs.

It has a blu-ray drive, that's the hardware.

pzeke

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 12:07:47 pm »

Dude, an optical drive just won't magically play/read every kind of optical media there is. Yes, it "has a blu-ray drive", but that doesn't intrinsically make it backwards compatible - it needs certain hardware to be able to read all those CDs you're wailing on about.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 12:08:32 pm »
Pretty much no one is going to use a sony console as a cd player

and for the harcore music cd lovers they already have a high quality cd player on the side wich you can turn on during gameplay

Using A ps4 as a cd players is pretty expensive considering how cheap a good cd players is there is very good reason why it can't read cd's in this era.

the new era will use other sources to get their music and the old generation has their quality cd players on the side anyway

There is no loss here.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 12:09:40 pm »

Dude, an optical drive just won't magically play/read every kind of optical media there is. Yes, it "has a blu-ray drive", but that doesn't intrinsically make it backwards compatible - it needs certain hardware to be able to read all those CDs you're wailing on about.

Seriously? And you're gonna try to make a funny meme about it and everything? Wow. All blu-ray drives can also read DVDs and CDs. Just like all DVD drives can also read CDs.

pzeke

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 12:32:21 pm »
Seriously? And you're gonna try to make a funny meme about it and everything? Wow. All blu-ray drives can also read DVDs and CDs. Just like all DVD drives can also read CDs.

Yeah, I'll meme it up whenever the time calls for it. Why? Do memes offend you, too?

You just recently learned that the PS4 doesn't read CDs, so I can understand you being thick-headed. Just Google this shit up and learn for yourself why the PS4 doesn't read CDs if you don't want to take my word for it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 12:49:28 pm »

Yeah, I'll meme it up whenever the time calls for it. Why? Do memes offend you, too?

You just recently learned that the PS4 doesn't read CDs, so I can understand you being thick-headed. Just Google this shit up and learn for yourself why the PS4 doesn't read CDs if you don't want to take my word for it.

It's not that hard to be a civil instead of an abrasive dick. (Especially since you're wrong, lol.) Anyone that knows a damn thing about computer tech can tell you blu-ray drives are inherently backwards compatible. So then yeah, blu-ray drives can read all optical media. There is not a single TECHNICAL reason why the PS4 cannot play audio CDs, which was my point to begin with. Sony specifically made it not be able to read audio CDs. It can read DVDs, still.

Sony pushing their steaming service seems to be the most logical reason. The hardware has absolutely zero to do with it "plain and simple".

telly

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 12:50:54 pm »
Aren't there some very niche blu-ray releases of music out there? (FFXIV is one example I can think of).

But I'm pretty sure those will play if you put them in a PS4 (it will play as a movie), and you can extract MP3s of the music straight out of your PS4
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery