Author Topic: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?  (Read 6515 times)

sworddude

Re: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2020, 04:26:15 pm »
There are several articles out there, presumably covering one interview (could be multiple), where someone from Sony mentions that the systems team was looking at including audio CD capabilities through a system update.  Obviously that never happened, but it sounded like that was their intent from the beginning, to maybe include it through an update.

if it was just an update, why not just jailbreak the ps4 mod it and make it work

I haven't seen an audio cd app to play them on the ps4

if it was just an official update in wich it might eventually work you might expect it to doable to just crack the system and play music cd's on a ps2 when they haven't released it just yet, yet this isn't the case.

Still why would it need to be an official update doesnt make any sense if it's not implemented from the get go.
It's a two fold software issue.  The OS has to tell the reader to process the data, this is where the licensing from Philips or whomever comes into play.  Philips doesn't require licensing to use a 780nm wavelength laser, they require licensing to process data from their owned medium.  On the other side, there has to be software to do something with the data that is read, that is, needing an app to play music read from a CD.  I would venture to guess the reason no one has done it is because if you were to illegally add the ability to read CDs without someone paying Philips you're opening yourself to lawsuit, but that's really me guessing on that one.  I honestly have 0 knowledge of the PS4 modding scene, so I really couldn't say why it doesn't exist or if it doesn't exist.

modding and jailbreaking is also a law suit material. The reason why most mod their console is to pirate newly released games for free.

lawsuits are not the issue here modding in general is lawsuit material but they are not going to go after you since it's way to much effort to find people, people are pirating and modding their consoles today and years ago, however no apps to play music cd's. Has to be a hardware issue, if it was just software people would have cracked this issue a long time ago.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:29:01 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2020, 04:36:35 pm »
There are several articles out there, presumably covering one interview (could be multiple), where someone from Sony mentions that the systems team was looking at including audio CD capabilities through a system update.  Obviously that never happened, but it sounded like that was their intent from the beginning, to maybe include it through an update.

if it was just an update, why not just jailbreak the ps4 mod it and make it work

if it was just an official update in wich it might eventually work you might expect it to doable to just crack the system and play music cd's on a ps2 when they haven't released it just yet, yet this isn't the case.

Still why would it need to be an official update doesnt make any sense if it's not implemented from the get go.
It's a two fold software issue.  The OS has to tell the reader to process the data, this is where the licensing from Philips or whomever comes into play.  Philips doesn't require licensing to use a 780nm wavelength laser, they require licensing to process data from their owned medium.  On the other side, there has to be software to do something with the data that is read, that is, needing an app to play music read from a CD.  I would venture to guess the reason no one has done it is because if you were to illegally add the ability to read CDs without someone paying Philips you're opening yourself to lawsuit, but that's really me guessing on that one.  I honestly have 0 knowledge of the PS4 modding scene, so I really couldn't say why it doesn't exist or if it doesn't exist.

modding and jailbreaking if you tell that your doing it is also a law suit. The reason why most mod their console is to pirate newly released games.

lawsuits are not the issue here modding in general is lawsuit material but they are not going to go after you since it's way to much effort to find people, people are pirating and modding their consoles today and years ago, however no apps to play music cd's. Has to be a hardware issue, if it was just software people would have cracked this issue a long time ago.

Stealing illegally distributed software (like games) is illegal. Modding your system is not.

A case came up in court where someone took Microsoft to court over voiding their Xbox's warranty because the seal had been broken (the seal that shows you opened up your console). The judge took the person's side over Microsoft's saying that once you purchase property, that property is yours do with what you want. That then sets the precedence that if you're allowed to open up your console to with what you want, then you're allowed to mod it.

"The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (1975) forbids these types of policies, as well as the warranty-void-if-removed security stickers that are placed over screws or seams in video game consoles."

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2020, 04:58:32 pm »

modding and jailbreaking is also a law suit material. The reason why most mod their console is to pirate newly released games for free.

Just because someone hasn't done it doesn't mean it can't be done.  If you wanna find a post from one of the CFW makers who have stated it couldn't be done with some semblance of reasoning why it can't be done other than "I don't know how", I'll cede the point, otherwise your statement is conjecture.

Like I said, I don't know anything about the ps4 modding scene.  It's not just some homebrew maker, the people who develop the CFW for the jailbroken PS4 would need to code in the ability to read CDs, it's not a trivial thing and it's possible they just never bothered to try, I don't think it's a highly requested feature.

sworddude

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2020, 05:13:48 pm »

From what I've read during release there was apparently backlash for ps4 not being able to play audio cd's

and that they promised to get it later on with an update

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/sony-remembers-ps4-will-play-cds-and-mp3s-after-update-1199081

we are however 7 years later, no update and no one in the modding scene for it to happen

If I really had to guess sony probably just hoped that people would forget because the hardware to read cd's might have been removed in wich even an update doesnt make it possible to make a ps4 console read cd's again

If the hardware is missing no matter what you  do,no amount of modding skills will be able to get that function back unless you actually go out of your way to just add some tech to the actual hardware. or maybe the usb update with mediaplayer for other sources was it's replacement update, since there is no way for them to make cd's work again by a software update alone.

People have been complaining since release, and you can do some crazy stuff with mods. I'm not deconfirming anything but I'd say the possibilty that the ps4 has hardware to actually play music cd's is very low. don't underestimate the modding scene if it really was just a software issue, the protection against using music cd's would have been cracked years ago let alone that sony for some reason just quitly walked away from it's promise to give people music cd's by update after the backlash wich probably was just impossible if I had to guess.

Maybe it's possible but I highly doubt that. Modding and jailbreaking a console doesn't matter for sony of philips, the consumer is at risk here if they they win the lottery and find you, but that's pretty much the modding jailbreak scene as a whole, it's personal usage wich people don't find anyway aside from the sources where people get the software or roms.   
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:22:41 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2020, 05:20:46 pm »
Guys it's not worth the trouble of modding your device to play CD's or jail-breaking it, just buy a PC or Laptop or perhaps a stereo, Walmart sells these (white and red) audio cords and audio barrels to plug your PC or Laptop, phone, Ipod, MP3 Play into a compatible stereo.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-5mm-RCA-Audio-Cable-15-Feet-Bi-Directional-Male-Nickel-Plated-Connector-AUX-Auxiliary-Headphone-Jack-Plug-Y-Adapter-Splitter-Converter-Left-Right-S/128632215
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2020, 05:23:54 pm »
Guys it's not worth the trouble of modding your device to play CD's or jail-breaking it, just buy a PC or Laptop or perhaps a stereo, Walmart sells these (white and red) audio cords and audio barrels to plug your PC or Laptop, phone, Ipod, MP3 Play into a compatible stereo.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-5mm-RCA-Audio-Cable-15-Feet-Bi-Directional-Male-Nickel-Plated-Connector-AUX-Auxiliary-Headphone-Jack-Plug-Y-Adapter-Splitter-Converter-Left-Right-S/128632215

it isn't even possible with modding atm that's the thing here. this isn't just a software problem. it would have been cracked years ago, they've just removed some hardware it's most likely not even possible by modding or official updates.

if your playing on your ps4 a seperate stereo + stand alone cd player would have been used in the first place, you could not play any games if you use it as a cd player unless it was maybe a digital download.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:27:38 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2020, 05:26:00 pm »

Huh uh, no way. I can't imagine how MP3s sounds through a real stereo system. On your phone or cheap boom box or something, whatever, you won't tell the difference, much. But on a full stereo system, you want a good, clean sounding CD or record.

Though I'm not saying I'm gonna mod my system for CD playback, either, it's not that important to me.

sworddude

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2020, 05:28:33 pm »

Huh uh, no way. I can't imagine how MP3s sounds through a real stereo system. On your phone or cheap boom box or something, whatever, you won't tell the difference, much. But on a full stereo system, you want a good, clean sounding CD or record.

Though I'm not saying I'm gonna mod my system for CD playback, either, it's not that important to me.

in wich you usually use a quality standalone cd player not a console. If your still using music cd's in this day 9/10 times you have a quality cd player. music cd's are pricy and mostly for the more hardcore audience atm.

also again modding to make music cd's work on a ps4 isnt even possible atm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:31:56 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2020, 05:36:55 pm »

With a PC or a laptop you can set up a music CD to record with lossless sound that mean uncompressed audio, My stereo also has an equalizer it sounds great as long as you have the cord plugged into a powered set of speakers and not directly into the PC or Laptop itself, also

I used to have a tiny MP3 player plugged into a large stereo before and it sounded great and it was compressed audio.

but it all depends on what kind you have  :(

(edit) I forgot that I have not used a portable device in years, but my old cheap $20 MP3 player sounded great, but I don't even know if windows OS or Itunes will even detect a portable new device in order to put music on a portable device anymore
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:58:11 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2020, 05:58:30 pm »

With a PC you can set up a music CD to record with lossless sound that mean uncompressed audio, My stereo also has an equalizer it sounds great as long as you have the cord plugged into a powered set of speakers and not directly into the PC or Laptop itself, also

I used to have a tiny MP3 player plugged into a large stereo before and it sounded great and it was compressed audio.

you can literally download pretty much all music within seconds why bother to use a music cd if your going that route, that's a waste of time with very few exceptions in wich you can't find it

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2020, 06:27:26 pm »

With a PC you can set up a music CD to record with lossless sound that mean uncompressed audio, My stereo also has an equalizer it sounds great as long as you have the cord plugged into a powered set of speakers and not directly into the PC or Laptop itself, also

you can literally download pretty much all music within seconds why bother to use a music cd if your going that route, that's a waste of time with very few exceptions in wich you can't find it

For quality sounding music.

It's amazing how this is such a foreign concept to this group. You guys are all for physical media when it comes to video games. Many of you won't even log digital games in your collections on this site.

Yet somehow me still buying CDs is crazy to you guys.

Why bother with physical CDs when you can just download music? Well, why bother with physical games when you can just download them? At least with CDs, there's a technical reason: The sound quality. A CD (or a record) always sounds better than a compressed MP3. There's also the fact that you own it to do whatever with. You can sell it, trade, copy it, display it, whatever. And just like a game, having the album artwork and booklet is important to collectors.

sworddude

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2020, 06:30:54 pm »

For quality sounding music.

It's amazing how this is such a foreign concept to this group. You guys are all for physical media when it comes to video games. Many of you won't even log digital games in your collections on this site.

Yet somehow me still buying CDs is crazy to you guys.

Why bother with physical CDs when you can just download music? Well, why bother with physical games when you can just download them? At least with CDs, there's a technical reason: The sound quality. A CD (or a record) always sounds better than a compressed MP3. There's also the fact that you own it to do whatever with. You can sell it, trade, copy it, display it, whatever. And just like a game, having the album artwork and booklet is important to collectors.

if you are going to copy it off an original music cd to another format quality will get lost anyway in wich a download is a way better option while saving tons of time.

eitherway if you wanted to use a music cd for quality you'd probably use a quality cd player instead of a console. so there are two sides of the coin here. if you really would care about sound quality using a console as a cd player would have been a no go from the very start.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2020, 06:33:44 pm »
Why would playing it on a console matter with the sound quality?

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2020, 07:46:53 pm »
Why would playing it on a console matter with the sound quality?

the chips and the laser and such, the hardware and the software, I think we can all agree PS4 is only made for video games and maybe blu-ray movies.  it's unfortunate, but with the know
how anything is possible I guess

I've been ripping and playing CD quality, music on a computer for years and sometimes it's amazing what enhancements some software can have with the quality of music, but the chips and hardware also play a role in it.

I once had power cord, external 3D stereo speakers plugged into a hardware sound card chip. installed onto an HP motherboard running windows XP. Then I made my own custom equalizer from the sound card software, and then played the ripped music with Windows Media Player in the XP days with another software equalizer combined.

Still today I can never re-due the quality of sound that the one sound card, and HP computer and 3D Speakers combine could ever do

I would ask someone who designs technology from the ground up, maybe someone in the country of Japan would know more. :-\
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:06:52 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2020, 08:26:00 pm »
If the laser can read the disc without issues, it's fine. Playing a CD on a console is no different than a stereo.

Its the sound system and the quality of the recording that are gonna get you good sound. That and the right cables/hook-ups.