Author Topic: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?  (Read 6493 times)

Re: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2020, 10:35:56 pm »
burningdoom if you do record audio CD's  on a PC or laptop, make sure you use the original recordings. and not a burned copy, and to use ALAC Lossless or another Lossless format, take note the music CD recordings with lossless format take more data,

by default all ripping software compresses the CD unless you go into the Rip settings and change your setting to something like ALAC or other type of lossless quality,

for others who do not know downloading anything in MP3 format lowers the audio quality

CD's should have better quality then most downloaded music does and Vinyl is supposed to have the best audio quality.

Note that once a CD or audio file/song has been recorded in MP3 or any compressed format, for example you cannot, increase the quality by converting the format. From any compressed format, into lossless ALAC or other. that will only increase the audio file's size

If you already have MP3 or another kind of compressed audio you need to re-record all or buy a original CD and record your music with lossless setting on. to get the full benefit of sound. From all your audio recording,

Also helps having a good stereo system, audio cables, plug in speakers that are stereo (not mono) and or stereo headphones, or stereo earbuds. like you just stated, I wish you the best of luck :-\

All stereo devices have 2 stripes on the silver end of the plug of any and all headphones or speaker sound jacks, also note if you plug a headphone into a mono speaker it won't be even in stereo sound.

Also remember the the in my experience all headphones/ and speakers improve their sound over time
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:48:32 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2020, 11:16:16 pm »
Alright. That is a detailed explanation. But I didn't say anything about burning or ripping CDs.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:46:00 am by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2020, 03:10:27 am »
If the laser can read the disc without issues, it's fine. Playing a CD on a console is no different than a stereo.

Its the sound system and the quality of the recording that are gonna get you good sound. That and the right cables/hook-ups.

Sure let's just ignore that the harcore people spend crazy amounts on some of the vintage high end cd players. why not get a cheap or medium value one same results right?

like:

Sony CDP-X777ES / Year: 1991.
Pioneer PD-95 / Year: 1992.

where talking several hundred to over 1000 $ here

no speakers just a cd player.

totally has zero effect after all  ;D

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:16:58 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2020, 04:20:42 am »
If the laser can read the disc without issues, it's fine. Playing a CD on a console is no different than a stereo.

Its the sound system and the quality of the recording that are gonna get you good sound. That and the right cables/hook-ups.

Sure let's just ignore that the harcore people spend crazy amounts on some of the vintage high end cd players. why not get a cheap or medium value one same results right?

like:

I would never buy those old vintage CD player because of the following ::)

yea those old stereo systems can have one major issue with them, the shuffle belt is known to rot and stop them old 1990's era audio equipment after less than 10 years of age, I got 1 of them in my house, and it's junk,

The only reason why I even still have another mid 1990's stereo (with same issue) that my mom gave me. Is because it actually has red and white audio jacks and an Aux/Imput button for hooking just about anything to it, including a game console, but you need this cord for a PC and maybe some audio barrels and a 2 ended White and Red audio cable for use with a PS1 PS2 PS3  :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-5mm-RCA-Audio-Cable-15-Feet-Bi-Directional-Male-Nickel-Plated-Connector-AUX-Auxiliary-Headphone-Jack-Plug-Y-Adapter-Splitter-Converter-Left-Right-S/128632215

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:37:03 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2020, 05:33:39 am »

like:

I would never buy those old vintage CD player because of the following ::)

yea those old stereo systems can have one major issue with them, the shuffle belt is known to rot and stop them old 1990's era audio equipment after less than 10 years of age, I got 1 of them in my house, and it's junk,

The only reason why I even still have another mid 1990's stereo (with same issue) that my mom gave me. Is because it actually has red and white audio jacks and an Aux/Imput button for hooking just about anything to it, including a game console, but you need this cord for a PC and maybe some audio barrels and a 2 ended White and Red audio cable for use with a PS1 PS2 PS3  :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-5mm-RCA-Audio-Cable-15-Feet-Bi-Directional-Male-Nickel-Plated-Connector-AUX-Auxiliary-Headphone-Jack-Plug-Y-Adapter-Splitter-Converter-Left-Right-S/128632215

these where high end back in the day, they are really durable. that's not the issue here. quality and they last.

your faults mostly apply for cheap to medium cd players wich are worthless and dirt cheap today. most people could not even afford to get these back in the day.

Same for those pricy crt tv's bvm's they where made for proffesionals the best tv's weren't even used by consumers to last way more hours than the average tv, these tv's where made to stay on for full 24 hour days.

also all your talk about ripping and burning a cd, your literally wasting tons of time while you could have downloaded it online within seconds.

the quality will be worse or equal compared to the stuff that's already online. How do you think most music got online in the first place  ::)

if you want extra work than by all means be my guest and burn your original cd's, I don't see the gain personally your literally doing the same or worse of what has been done to the music that is online today.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:16:22 am by sworddude »

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2020, 08:00:26 am »
I ripped but never burned an audio CD in years. It took me a long time to rip them but I did it and it's well worth the wait, for how much joy music brings me in life.

Just like some of you guys like HD games and best quality graphics that is how I feel about my audio quality, when it comes to CD's and music.

the difference is mainly in the bass department, lower quality recordings often are more tint sounding and have more treble, and high pitched symbols, then better quality if lets say your listening to some metal pop or rock music

it's not noticeable for the most part but if you heard the difference and listen to music like I did in pretty much all media file formats.

(edit) I want to add the PlayStation 3 does not have a lossless option as far as I can see.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:34:32 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2020, 08:41:38 am »
I ripped but never burned an audio CD in years. It took me a long time to rip them but I did it and it's well worth the wait, for how much joy music brings me in life.

Just like some of you guys like HD games and best quality graphics that is how I feel about my audio quality, when it comes to CD's and music.

the difference is mainly in the bass department, lower quality recordings often are more tint sounding and have more treble, and high pitched symbols, then better quality if lets say your listening to some metal pop or rock music

it's not noticeable for the most part but if you heard the difference and listen to music like I did in pretty much all media file formats.

(edit) I want to add the PlayStation 3 does not have a lossless option as far as I can see.

allot of online downloads are also from ripped discs

so the quality should be identical to better than doing it yourselves.

also online music isn't just streaming also tons of locations for quality downloads.

physical cd's are slighty better, but if you rip a disc, it's going to be equal or worse than the good options for online downloads.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:43:21 am by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2020, 11:57:03 am »

like:

You're paying for build-quality and longevity when it comes to a standalone CD-player. A good Sony CD-player vs. knock-off is gonna last you for a good long while and it's not going to be as prone to skipping. All the CD-reader part is doing is reading the information and sending it to your system which then deals with the actual sound.

The sound quality comes from you system (like the equalizer part where everything goes through), your speakers, the audio cables, and quality of the original recording. But most CD players are built into systems, nowadays. So I guess it does matter which one you get in that case. You don't see those big stacks so much like you used to.

Point being, as long as you have a good sound system it's going through, playing an audio CD on your PS4 doesn't affect the sound-quality. I mean, if you're just playing it through your T.V. speakers, that's a different story.

sworddude

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2020, 12:11:27 pm »

like:

You're paying for build-quality and longevity when it comes to a standalone CD-player. A good Sony CD-player vs. knock-off is gonna last you for a good long while and it's not going to be as prone to skipping. All the CD-reader part is doing is reading the information and sending it to your system which then deals with the actual sound.

The sound quality comes from you system (like the equalizer part where everything goes through), your speakers, the audio cables, and quality of the original recording. But most CD players are built into systems, nowadays. So I guess it does matter which one you get in that case. You don't see those big stacks so much like you used to.

Point being, as long as you have a good sound system it's going through, playing an audio CD on your PS4 doesn't affect the sound-quality. I mean, if you're just playing it through your T.V. speakers, that's a different story.

according to the reviews of these sought after vintage cd players it will sound a bit different, a bit warmer than most cd players. eitherway only noticable for the super hardcore I'd say, you'll proably have an easier time with a modern 100$ + cd player most will probably not spot the difference.

so again it does affect sound especially for the people that are willing to spend. it wouldn't be that sought after if all if it would sound the same a a decent quality modern cd player after all. why would you go through the hassle for just build quality, decent priced modern cd players have that aswell.

obviously it's going to be good enough with a medium cd player and speakers but if your going for perfection there is a pretty hardcore community out there that will claim that it does actually sound different and has the money spend. It's not just build quality your better off getting a modern system if that truly was the case.

let alone why not get a high end modern setup instead. wich probably again would have better sound quality than modern medium cd players. aside from the costs wich are sometimes even higher or allot higher than most high end modern variants allot of the better models aren't that easy to find either, let alone no warranty since 2nd hand market. Quite allot of barriers for the same experience in sound you'd be an idiot if that really where the case I'd say ::)

Another example for sound is the cables, while most would claim that 50ish to 100$ is enough for the best quality, you have people who are willing to spend 1000$ on certain cables. and in that scenario the difference is even smaller. a 900$ difference in wich even among the hardcore there are people who cannot spot the difference. so pretty hard to prove if the super high end cables actually have better sound compared to good quality cables of 50 to 100$. after a certain barrier the improvements become smaller and smaller.

Perfection has it's price your paying the most for the cherry on top wich only the most hardcore might appreciate.

I don't get how your denying that the quality of a cd player doesnt affect the sound at all.

Sure speakers and cables are part of it, however the cd player alone also does have an impact on the sound quality.

A low end, medium to high end system will all have a difference in sound. the higher you go, the quality usually goes up. You'll get what you pay for.

eitherway for people who are hardcore in cd's your probably not going to use a console, your going to be using an at least decent quality cd player. for the people that still use cd's it's not really a loss it's probably not going to be that great in the sound department or maybe just comparable to a medium cd player.

Certain ps1 models back in the day where the exception being comparable to pretty good cd players. however those early ps1 models at the time where ridiculously expensive, and later on those audio options where removed.

Still even if you look up in google for current cd players you will have a top 10 of the best sounding cd players  of 2020 for consumers.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:21:59 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2020, 01:37:03 pm »
Ok, lets say your right and it makes all the difference. Wouldn't a PS4 be a Sony product, anyways?

sworddude

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2020, 02:41:14 pm »
Ok, lets say your right and it makes all the difference. Wouldn't a PS4 be a Sony product, anyways?

yes, it is however just a side feature. It might not even beat a mid range dedicated cd player for the people who care about sound quality of their physical cd's in this era.

Not to mention that you can't even play games if you are going to use it as a cd player.  so if you want to listen music while playing games you will need a stand alone cd player unless where talking digital games.

At the end of the day, what I mean is, the casuals don't give a damm about music cd's in this era, and the majority of the people who do care about that extra bit of quality, that group might not even use a ps4 since the quality would probably be less than even a mid ranged setup.

If where looking at sony's track record, There was only 1 era in wich a sony console did beat a mid range quality cd player. first model ps1. later ps1 models, ps2 and ps3 where pretty trash as a cd player, it's good enough for the people who just want to play them old cd's, but hardcore users where not impressed. I don't think ps4 would have repeated the first model ps1 scenario again. There was a shot but I highly doubt it

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:50:17 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2020, 04:03:30 pm »
Personally, I would think Sound quality would be a major feature of an entertainment system.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2020, 05:34:45 pm »
If where looking at sony's track record, There was only 1 era in wich a sony console did beat a mid range quality cd player. first model ps1. later ps1 models, ps2 and ps3 where pretty trash as a cd player, it's good enough for the people who just want to play them old cd's, but hardcore users where not impressed. I don't think ps4 would have repeated the first model ps1 scenario again. There was a shot but I highly doubt it

The reason that PS1 model does sound well is the hook-ups. It has actual RCA A/V hook-ups that use the real audio cables (like I said, audio cables matter). Whereas the other PS1 models don't have that, they just have the multi-out that their proprietary cable hooks up to. And it's way cheaper than a high-end CD-player that has the same capability.

The PS3 used an HDMI cable, so you didn't have to worry about that. HDMI will bring you high-quality audio. As will the component cables (as long as they aren't cheap cables). Don't know where you heard the PS3 sounds bad, it's known for having fantastic audio capabilities; fantastic multimedia capabilities in general. It was great multimedia machine with the Sony Blu-Ray playback build into it.

sworddude

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2020, 06:24:59 pm »

The reason that PS1 model does sound well is the hook-ups. It has actual RCA A/V hook-ups that use the real audio cables (like I said, audio cables matter). Whereas the other PS1 models don't have that, they just have the multi-out that their proprietary cable hooks up to. And it's way cheaper than a high-end CD-player that has the same capability.

The PS3 used an HDMI cable, so you didn't have to worry about that. HDMI will bring you high-quality audio. As will the component cables (as long as they aren't cheap cables). Don't know where you heard the PS3 sounds bad, it's known for having fantastic audio capabilities; fantastic multimedia capabilities in general. It was great multimedia machine with the Sony Blu-Ray playback build into it.

it's pretty mixed from what I've read online for the ps3, I wouldn't say it's the same situation as the first model ps1 by a longshot. sure it's a decent cd player but probably if you don't care about sound quality to much and just want to play some old cd's

eitherway, I already mentioned that cables also have an effect, never denied that. There are multiple parts that have an effect on the sound quality.

Also I am aware of the hookups I own 2 of them heck I'm pretty sure 99% of ps1 collectors would check the backside for each ps1 console that comes in.

Also it isn't just that the console has RCA A/V hook-ups, The thing is that it's insides are of high quality, every ps1 console could have been a great cd player however all except for that 1 version lack the hookups. if the ps1 was a trash cd player the cables would have less of an impact and the first model ps1 would not have been a suitable replacement as a vintage cd player. so again the cd player itself does make a difference otherwise people would be going after different cd players if this doesnt make a difference. any standalone cd player has the hook ups. especially atm you would otherwise not go after that particular model ps1 if your not going to use it for games.

especially back in the day people would get the ps1 instead since it beat out pretty nice cd players. why go after a ps1 or high end cd player if the sound isnt affected. a decent mid range cd player is pretty durable aswell. wich is easier to find and to hook up quality cables. Makes no sense if just the cables and speakers influence the sound quality. Why would you go through the effort to find and pay more than a low to medium end cd player if it won't affect the sound anyway. There are plenty of cheaper easy options if you just need a durable cd player.

also I quote on multiple ps1 articles again why do you deny that a cd player doesnt affect the sound quality at all. It's like literally one of the main reason why people go for certain vintage models or high end cd players period.

This is so well known amongst audiophiles that there there's a thriving market for a very specific kind of early PS1 that, due to the hardware it was made with, produces better quality sound than the best CD players on the market

If it was just the cables and speakers why the fuck does the cd player itself matter, why not go low or mid range why spend that much effort and money? 

your pretty ignorant I'd say. It's pretty obvious that a cd player does affect the sound quality, tons of people talk about it the main thing of discussion when talking about higher end cd players, literally one of the main selling points for a high end system. If you just wanted durability you would have been fine with a mid range cd player. Like seriously.  ::)

That being said while the ps1 is good, certain vintage cd players apparently have better sound than the ps1 console since otherwise the ps1 would have downgraded those prices big time wich hasn't happened. It's an above average vintage cd player for a fair price a pretty good deal if you don't want to spend to much. instead of going all out while spending multiple hundreds to sometimes over 1000$. That being said I'm not to sure if it's better than cd players at a simular or slightly higher price point if where talking vintage quality cd players. Like say of the luxman or marrantz brand.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:42:11 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2020, 09:48:59 pm »
Ok, this is my understanding of how it works:
A cd-player reads the information on the disc and sends it to the receiver that processes and outputs the sound to the speakers. Audio tech 101.

When I say the build quality matters on a CD player, and that it's less prone to skipping, this is what I mean exactly: A cd has bumps that are more apparant as the cd spins. Cheaper CD players will be more prone to skipping over sections of those bumps. A higher quality laser is more precise, and able to read the data without skipping. There's also this thing built into audio players called error-protection. Its a system that tries to cover up those pits in the data when a cheap or dying laser encounters them. That error-protection can drop some of the quality.

Those high-end, focused lasers also requires a better quality build to function at that level for a longtime. That is exactly why you pay more for a high-end CD player. (And for various hook-ups and extra technical settings for audio geeks.) It's all about how well they read that data and last doing it.

Now you get into DACs and that's a whole new discussion. Some guys swear by it and spend a bit of dough on them, other guys swear they can't hear the difference.

The PS1 has that quality Sony build, has the RCA hook-ups which makes it versatile to hook-up to various sound systems with high-quality output that other PS1 models cannot without modding, and the biggest draw is that it's at a fraction of the cost of other dedicated players of the same quality.

Now, to the original point, these are Sony systems. They are not cheap drives. There's no reason why a PS4 would have a cheap drive and be skipping data, or your games would suck, too. If you have a Sony console, hooked into a good stereo system, with good cables, you will get good sound. It will sound just as good as your stereo system and speakers are capable of. Unless your laser was going out or damaged.

BTW, I have to wonder...why are you on such a crusade about this anyways? Why does the way I collect or listen to music matter so much to you? I mean even if I listened to cassette tapes on a Fisher price tape player, that's my choice, right? You arguing until your blue in the face isn't going to convince me to stop using CDs and start loving MP3s.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:52:46 pm by burningdoom »