Author Topic: Will the 8th generation of consoles be considered the most interesting someday?  (Read 3312 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the entire thread.

Here's a thought. What if with all these mid-gen releases or different models of the same thing....

... what if gaming is moving to more of a cell phone model. No one cares about the older model phones they had. What if eventually, there's a new Playstation or Xbox or Nintendo every year and the older ones become obsolete so quick that no one cares about them.

With people having no issue upgrading their phones every year and no uproar for these enhanced consoles, I could see this being a thing. It's like upgrading your PC components except in this case you're buying a whole new device.

sworddude

Here's a thought. What if with all these mid-gen releases or different models of the same thing....

... what if gaming is moving to more of a cell phone model. No one cares about the older model phones they had. What if eventually, there's a new Playstation or Xbox or Nintendo every year and the older ones become obsolete so quick that no one cares about them.

people where already complaining if a the ps5 or xbox series X where above a certain price point

Consumers don't want to spend as much on a console as on a smart phone. let alone yearly will at least have to stay for 5 years I'd say. would be insane if you'd have to buy a console yearly to keep playing the newest games.

people have priorities and while there is a market for upgrades like the ps4 pro. allot of people don't want them consoles to be to pricy voices have been heard. The need for phone upgrades is higher than for consoles allot higher. People use it daily, consoles are more of an extra not essential in life for most.

Otherwise aside from the yearly upgrades your right

Each new console gen could be seen as a new phone from the 7th 8th gen onwards. There is not much reason to comeback, consoles are pc's at this point. the older consoles will be seen as inferior and not much reason to comeback to compared to older generations wich stood out. with less and less exclusives to come back to.

The wii is the only exception of the 7th gen, since it's gimmick stood out and not much is ported I mean both the ps4 and xbox X are pretty much the ps3 and xbox 360 but better having pretty much all them older titles and improved them plus a ton more. yet the wii is still unique from the wii u and switch by a long shot. ps2 wii and xbox are the last console gens that weren't pc's yet. If where including japan titles xbox 360 was pretty nice though.

the wii u however is basicly overshadowed by the switch by getting pretty much all exclusives plus extra content, let alone that the wii u's gimmick of 2 screens is really forgettable, it has almost nothing that people will remember. There is no reason to buy a wii u over a switch aside from the cost wich isn't going to be an issue if these generations grow older and older. The switch has all wii u titles an actually great gimmick and a hell lot more and way better exclusive titles.

what titles are left after pikmin 3 wich got ported plus extra content and 2 player for main story

starfox zero, and mario trash 3d land
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:21:58 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

Most interesting? Maybe. The Ouya did release during this time, after all. Oh, and virtual reality gaming grew to be successful and widely available. I guess that's important, but probably not as important as the Ouya....

Honestly, though, it's hard to say. Every generation has aspects to make them interesting. As far as the seventh generation of gaming, indie games absolutely flourished, the rise of online gaming was paramount, digital marketplaces became the ideal means to sell products more cost-effectively and efficiently, and DLC grew to be much more widely acceptable and even expected. Do these aspects make the seventh generation less interesting than the eighth? That's largely up for debate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

Seconding your opinion, I also find it hard to support the claim that the Nintendo Switch was the introduction to the ninth generation of gaming. After all, it ported a huge list of original first-party and published Wii U games to beef up its lackluster line-up:

Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors (Hyrule Warriors DX)
Mario Kart 8 (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)
New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U (New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe)
Pikmin 3 (Pikmin 3 Deluxe)
Pokkén Tournament (Pokkén Tournament DX)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore)

On the off-chance of a newly-announced game, there's a good chance that what is announced was originally a Wii U title. Even to Nintendo themselves, the Switch was their only opportune chance to play a lot of catching up at the easy expense of porting good games originally for a poorly-selling system onto what they only hoped was a system to get them out of the huge hole they dig themselves into. So, Nintendo did what they had to do by marketing a new yet almost equal-in-performance system in the middle of a console generation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:21:34 pm by dhaabi »

byron

I don't think newer generations are ever going to match the mystique of the older ones no matter what happens.

This is likely true for more than video games. We live in a mass-produced, focus-group-driven hellscape where real creativity and boundary pushing is selected against by market forces. Look at movies. Hollywood is now a byword for unoriginal schlock for the lowest common denominator, but there was a time when Hollywood movies could be unconventional and daring and tell stories that didn't have Captain America in them. How many cars from the 1960's are dripping with mystique? How many from the 2000's?

The eighth generation of video games is like every other consumer product now. Creative passion has been replaced by a cynical drive for profit. The PS4 doesn't have a fascinating history behind its creation. It wasn't some odds-defying underdog story like the NES, and it has no interesting figures like Nolan Bushnell in it. The PS4 story is "Sony wanted more money so they made a new black rectangle."  No one will ever look back on the WiiU and think "Wow, what a unique and iconic thing that was. What a heady time it evokes," any more than anyone will say that about Ke$ha.

sworddude

I wouldn't say that creation is of that much importance for a new console.  You don't always need to be an underdog and have a rich history to back it up, many collectors might not even know about the history and just collect and play them games.

Sony and microsft where way more rich when the entered the console market. it was just another day at the office for them no matter how interesting it was that the snes and ps1 could have combined at some point. Let alone that the ps2 is definitely a console to return to.

Than again fair enough it did have a soul crushing history in how it wiped sega off the map showing it's true mucsles of how much money an actual big fish has.

It's however allot more simple than that

Problem is that most stuff gets ported over in wich there is little reason to come back to the console. Limitations don't really exist anymore and the games usually get extra content aswell aside from the slight grapic upgrades. past console didn't really suffer from this problem

However xbox 360, wii u and ps3 definitely where just inferior compared to the consoles that came after it, sure there exclusives left, but so much has been ported over that allot less is left compared to older console generations

There is nothing different about them newer games wich seem to always get newer ports + additional content. In some rare cases the newer ports are worse but that's a rarity especially with patches.

To many Ports happen a bit to fast instead of waiting for 1 or 2 console gens before they happen like in the past.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 05:13:25 am by sworddude »

I don't know about interesting, but I'm thinking there will be a lot of criticism regarding a lot of things.  The introduction of limited prints and it's negative impact on consumers, the beginning of an all digital era, mid-cycle refreshes, games as a service models, esports, streaming, etc.

Also, I agree that Switch is 8th gen.  Also, switch isn't 2 years old, it's like 3 and a half years old.

dreama1

I agree with burningdoom. The switch is a 9th gen console. Stop calling it 8th.

A console era isn't defined by it's console power or they would be putting the Atari Jaguar with the 16 bit consoles, and the Dreamcast with the 32bit consoles.

sworddude

A console era isn't defined by it's console power or they would be putting the Atari Jaguar with the 16 bit consoles, and the Dreamcast with the 32bit consoles.

atari jaguar came out in 1994 same year as the ps1. you really can't compare that

Same for dreamcast came out just 1 year before the ps2 and thus of the same generation let alone that the grapics where a huge improvement compared to saturn or any console of the past generations not comparable to 32 bit systems. way more powerfull than the n64 or ps1 and in both cases years after the past gens came out.

meanwhile wii u and switch  wich already is 3plus years old are in just 1 console generation of xbox and sony. let alone that the upgrade in visuals is minimal.

You can say 9th gen if you want, but the wiki and many others will always consider the switch to be a 8th gen console.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:57:03 am by sworddude »

dreama1

atari jaguar came out in 1994 same year as the ps1. you really can't compare that

Same for dreamcast came out just 1 year before the ps2 and thus of the same generation let alone that the grapics where a huge improvement compared to saturn or any console of the past generations not comparable to 32 bit systems. way more powerfull than the n64 or ps1 and in both cases years after the past gens came out.

meanwhile wii u and switch  wich already is 3plus years old are in just 1 console generation of xbox and sony. let alone that the upgrade in visuals is minimal.

You can say 9th gen if you want, but the wiki and many others will always consider the switch to be a 8th gen console.
2 years for the Dreamcast in Japan. 1998. The PS5 could of came out last year, it was dragging it's feet, and console generations dragging their feet since the 7th gen while Nintendo staying consistent has lead to the gap.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:17:19 pm by dreama1 »

sworddude

2 years for the Dreamcast in Japan. 1998. The PS5 could of came out last year, it was dragging it's feet, and console generations dragging their feet since the 7th gen while Nintendo staying consistent has lead to the gap.

the ps3 and xbox one where released in 2013
wii u in 2012

what do you mean by nintendo staying consistent, them consoles in the 8th gen came out at roughly the same time. The wii u was a failed console they had to release a newer console early wich is why we got the switch while ps4 and xbox one where still doing their stuff. i don't see the gap in the 8th generation. wii u was only 1 year early.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:30:52 pm by sworddude »

dreama1

5-6 years for a  Nintendo Console, It's been mostly consistent.

7 years for the PS3. 8 years for the 360. And it's looking like 7 again for the PS4 and Xbox One.

The PS2 6 years was suppose to be 5 years but the PS3 delayed. Original xbox 4-5 years.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:39:52 pm by dreama1 »

sworddude

5-6 years for a  Nintendo Console, It's been mostly consistent.

7 years for the PS3. 8 years for the 360. And it's looking like 7 again for the PS4 and Xbox One.

The PS2 6 years was suppose to be 5 years but the PS3 delayed. Original xbox 4-5 years.

OG xbox was just 4 years

also it seems to me that nintendo tried to keep up to release alongside other consoles gens considering how they where 2 years late compared to ps1 with the N64
only 1 year late in ps2 gamecube era. and finally along the same time during wii ps3 era.

Sure they where a bit early with wii u era, but I doubt it was nintendo trying to be consistent, the N64 was almost a flop, a disaster, the gamecube didnt sell to hot either, and both consoles where 1 or 2 years later than it's competition. especially in n64 era nintendo just came way to late to the party at 2 years.

xbox was 1 year early in the 7th gen meaning that the Og xbox was relevant for just 4 years, and guess what happend, xbox 360 was the best selling console of microsoft by far. forget consistency being early is apparently pretty important. nintendo had to speed stuff up since they where falling behind in the n64 era.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:04:45 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The N64 couldn't beat PlayStation, sure, but I'd hardly call 33 million units a flop or close to it.

sworddude

The N64 couldn't beat PlayStation, sure, but I'd hardly call 33 million units a flop or close to it.

it is if the difference is that big. 100 million for sony let alone all those 3rd party losses.

Capcom and square left nintendo during that era. wich even was noticable in gamecube and wii era. Nintendo has lost allot of 3rd party support in the n64 era. nintendo messed up big time. They angered the wrong people during their snes cd conversations with sony.

Nintendo literally lost the huge position that they had in a single generation

Everyone went to sega or sony for them games. final fantasy, dragonquest, street fighter (pretty much everything capcom really) and megaman, classics on nintendo all to sega and sony. projects like super mario rpg where history. snk ports. nintendo got pretty much nothing.

Even konami, Sure they made some games, but all the big stuff was all for sony. From monopoly postition to a small puppy eating them leftover scraps in just 1 single generation. the pain remained in cube era. it's mainly the classic wii that saved the nintendo home consoles i'd say.

Handheld department, remained supreme though fortunately.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 05:51:03 pm by sworddude »