Author Topic: Search by Item Number?  (Read 1406 times)

Search by Item Number?
« on: August 26, 2020, 04:03:37 pm »
I've got a cart, it's got some Japanese name, so I go to advanced search and type in the item number (DMG-SOJ) and it won't search unless I type in an item name? Why?

Re: Search by Item Number?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 05:11:56 pm »
Not all item #s are recorded here, unfortunately. 

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:23:28 pm »
Not all item #s are recorded here, unfortunately.

Yeah, but even if they are, I can't search by them.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:12:24 pm »
I've got a cart, it's got some Japanese name, so I go to advanced search and type in the item number (DMG-SOJ) and it won't search unless I type in an item name? Why?

Unfortunately, that's just not how the search feature for VGC functions. An advanced search must include information in the Item Name field at a minimum. Your best luck would be to post a photo of it. I'm sure someone can identify it.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 08:05:48 am »
Consider this a second for the ability to search without including an item name.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 09:43:30 am »
The entry is here:
https://vgcollect.com/item/143668

But to note, that if this entry was complete and correct, you wouldn't be able to find the item number for the cart by using advanced search anyways. The reason being is that the item number for the cart would be in the description and not the item number field. The item number for this release seems to be RS0GS924 or something like that. I didn't put it on the entry because the picture I am looking at for the cover is low resolution and I can't be sure if that is an S or a 5.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 04:33:10 pm »
the item number for the cart would be in the description and not the item number field.

What's the rationale for that? I don't think I follow.

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 04:45:33 pm »
the item number for the cart would be in the description and not the item number field.

What's the rationale for that? I don't think I follow.

Items regularly have numerous item numbers. VGC's style guide details the order for which item numbers take priority over others in the event of multiple item numbers. Since only one item number is permitted in the item number field, additional item numbers should be listed in the description field.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 06:30:53 am »
Searching by name/title is the best, as people still add games with only the title.

The 5 latest games added:
Latest Items
Fight Crab Box Art
Fight Crab
 Nintendo Switch [JP]
by rockybalboa

Homesick Box Art
Homesick
 Steam
by tripredacus

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee Box Art
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
 Nintendo Switch [EU]
by crazyfox

Nightfall, The Box Art
Nightfall, The
 PlayStation 4 [EU]
by nutsy

Escapists, The + The Escapists 2 Box Art
Escapists, The + The Escapists 2
 PlayStation 4 [EU]
by nutsy

Only 1 game has a item number. None have a barcode (Trips game doesnt need one, steam).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:21:52 am by fazerco »