Author Topic: Frustration Of Saving A Game At The Wrong Time  (Read 3938 times)

Frustration Of Saving A Game At The Wrong Time
« on: August 29, 2020, 03:56:30 pm »
There are certain games that have where you can accidentally save before a game over screen, meaning if you die in that type of game, you need to wait for the entire game to re-load again each and every single time you die.

One of those games is Spyro the Dragon, for the PlayStation 1 or 2 where it is possible to have this happen you. It happened to my cousin who didn't even have a memory card to save it on. And after 3 hours of play. this one Spyro the Dragon game went into game over and he had to redo the entire game over again from the beginning.

Have you ever encountered this kind of flaw in a video game before. where you might accidentally save your game on the last life then die in the game.

before you realize that you are stuck waiting for the game, to go into an unstoppable cut-scene and then wait for the game to load the main menu? and then have to wait more time for the game to re-load your last save point?

But maybe if my cousin had a memory card would this still happen in Spyro? I hesitate to play this game because of that.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:29:52 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

dhaabi

Re: Frustration Of Saving A Game At The Wrong Time
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 04:41:04 pm »
Aren't the two scenarios you're describing completely different from another? One involves saving game data, one wholly neglects it. The problem with your cousin's experience is that a memory card was needed to avoid the gaming starting from the very beginning upon losing all lives.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 05:03:09 pm »
Aren't the two scenarios you're describing completely different from another? One involves saving game data, one wholly neglects it. The problem with your cousin's experience is that a memory card was needed to avoid the gaming starting from the very beginning upon losing all lives.

yes it's both, maybe this topic should be called something else. But I didn't know what exactly what to call it so yes it's both. Saving at the wrong time and or not saving at all. Because some games don't let you do either, Spyro has a save option something like most NES games you can not save at all, unless you are emulating it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:07:20 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:50:43 pm »
There are certain games that have where you can accidentally save before a game over screen, meaning if you die in that type of game, you need to wait for the entire game to re-load again each and every single time you die.

One of those games is Spyro the Dragon, for the PlayStation 1 or 2 where it is possible to have this happen you. It happened to my cousin who didn't even have a memory card to save it on. And after 3 hours of play. this one Spyro the Dragon game went into game over and he had to redo the entire game over again from the beginning.

Have you ever encountered this kind of flaw in a video game before. where you might accidentally save your game on the last life then die in the game.

before you realize that you are stuck waiting for the game, to go into an unstoppable cut-scene and then wait for the game to load the main menu? and then have to wait more time for the game to re-load your last save point?

But maybe if my cousin had a memory card would this still happen in Spyro? I hesitate to play this game because of that.

Your comments never cease to amuse me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:07:22 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

indenton

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 10:10:50 pm »
Hmm, saving at the wrong time.

I recently played through Fire Emblem Three Houses, on one of the routes, the game tells you 'your choice will drastically effect the story'. I reset the game real quick, made a copy of the file, and continued playing. Then just a few chapters later, I accidently overwrote the pre-decision file anyway! Meaning I'll have to play through the first half of the game again to see that other route. The game is great, but that's a lot of time I could of saved myself.

I remember Wario Land 4 had autosave. Once you beat a boss, the EXACT moment you beat them, you better hope you beat them with all treasure intact. Because if you don't, you just missed the perfect ending and they are gone for the rest of the playthrough. A lot of killing yourself on the bosses, for some reason you can't quit or restart in boss stages in Wario Land 4, that was always really weird and annoying.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 07:09:10 am »

I recently played through Fire Emblem Three Houses, on one of the routes, the game tells you 'your choice will drastically effect the story'. I reset the game real quick, made a copy of the file, and continued playing. Then just a few chapters later, I accidently overwrote the pre-decision file anyway! Meaning I'll have to play through the first half of the game again to see that other route. The game is great, but that's a lot of time I could of saved myself.

I remember Wario Land 4 had autosave. Once you beat a boss, the EXACT moment you beat them, you better hope you beat them with all treasure intact. Because if you don't, you just missed the perfect ending and they are gone for the rest of the playthrough. A lot of killing yourself on the bosses, for some reason you can't quit or restart in boss stages in Wario Land 4, that was always really weird and annoying.

I'm pretty sure he means a soft lock, not being able to actually complete the game because you saved at the wrong time.

Wich doesn't happen in any game worth your salt. And sure classic era fire emblem series is an exception since you could softlock yourself by training trash units or your best units getting killed, but for that 1 series it's done on purpose. your decisions matter otherwise even if your at the end game you need to redo the whole game from chapter 1 building a team from scratch again. but again that's only natural with perma death and certain trap units.

Your case is 100% completion and extra content, those things are only natural to have annoying restrictions especially in the old era. sloppy play is not rewarded wich is fair.

Missables in rpg's but even action based games like zelda etc are pretty common. Even in the modern era missables still exist for 100% completion for some games.

You can still complete the game just not 100% of it's content. it's not broken.

Closest thing to his example are probably rpg's but in all cases you can literally leave the room or at least grind in that particular dungeon. it doesn't really exists with the exception of some really horrible games that aren't worth your time anyway.

Also in terms of wario land 4 the non perfect endings are pretty funny not getting a perfect ending is not a bad thing, shame to miss out on those. let their be consequences for sloppy play.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:36:00 am by sworddude »

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 08:02:37 am »
Certain games I've played mainly games that are really hard games, I have been backed into a corner before at times where I think It's a good spot to save OR it auto-saves my current progress when I have low health.

But then comes a challenge ahead of me that I was not expecting. So I keep getting killed until I grit me teeth and work my ass off to pass a certain section.

like Halo Combat: Evolved for the original Xbox. I had no health through this one part. And the game wanted me to survive busting my own shield (to move forward in the game) and then get through one of the level section by taking on a swarm of guys with guns surrounding me in a crowded room on a one hit death.

I got past it, but I felt like breaking something but I didn't, when one of my favorite games starts to get that difficult i get angry,

Now that I'm writing this think I could have just reset the level but I worked so hard on getting that far in I didn't want to do the whole level over from the beginning. the first Halo game levels are long and difficult all the way through, especially later on in the first Halo game.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:26:09 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 08:40:23 am »

I'm pretty sure he means a soft lock, not being able to actually complete the game because you saved at the wrong time.

Wich doesn't happen in any game worth your salt. And sure classic era fire emblem series is an exception since you could softlock yourself by training trash units or your best units getting killed, but for that 1 series it's done on purpose. your decisions matter otherwise even if your at the end game you need to redo the whole game from chapter 1 building a team from scratch again. but again that's only natural with perma death and certain trap units.

Auto-Saves have definitely screwed me in modern AAA titles.  I actually had to restart an entire chapter of The Last of Us Part 2 because it auto-saved the moment I fell off a ledge.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 08:51:05 am »

Auto-Saves have definitely screwed me in modern AAA titles.  I actually had to restart an entire chapter of The Last of Us Part 2 because it auto-saved the moment I fell off a ledge.

so you lose 30 minutes of progress annoying sure, but just redoing 1 lvl or chapter is not gamebreaking.

I will agree with you though, auto saving has done more bad than good, manual saves all the way if there is an option to turn off an auto save function. Definitely one of the worst additions in the current era, rarely did an auto save actually save me time and it usually prevents me from doing stuff in the era's before auto saves like rerolling rng. in some games you can work around this issue, yet in other games it will always save after such events at all times. in other words, auto saves actually wasting your time by a hell lot, literally destroying it's main purpose why it was introduced in the first place.

To hell with auto save.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:58:31 am by sworddude »

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 08:59:56 am »

so you lose 30 minutes of progress annoying sure, but just redoing 1 lvl or chapter is not gamebreaking.

I will agree with you though, auto saving has done more bad than good, manual saves all the way if there is an option to turn off an auto save function. Definitely one of the worst additions in the current era, rarely did an auto save actually save me time and it usually prevents me from doing stuff in the era's before auto saves like rerolling rng. in some games you can work around this issue, yet in other games it will always save after such events at all times. To hell with auto save.

I could only finish because the game thankfully included a chapter select that unlocked after you reached the chapter, not after you beat the game.  There are dozens of other games where it would have a been a death sentence for the run - including the first The Last of Us if I'm not mistaken.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 09:14:28 am »

I will agree with you though, auto saving has done more bad than good, manual saves all the way if there is an option to turn off an auto save function. Definitely one of the worst additions in the current era, rarely did an auto save actually save me time and it usually prevents me from doing stuff in the era's before auto saves like rerolling rng. in some games you can work around this issue, yet in other games it will always save after such events at all times. To hell with auto save.

I could only finish because the game thankfully included a chapter select that unlocked after you reached the chapter, not after you beat the game.  There are dozens of other games where it would have a been a death sentence for the run - including the first The Last of Us if I'm not mistaken.

Usually some options in the pause menu could solve it.

To actually prevent this issue all games should have multiple auto saves like botw wich also has a manual save on top of that, wich are all seperate save files from eachother. kinda impossible to get in such infinite death loops than.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:21:40 am by sworddude »

telly

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 10:04:48 am »

I had a similar experience in Titanfall 2. I was flung off of a moving platform and somehow reached a checkpoint as I died. So I kept spawning over an open pit and falling to my death and there was nothing I could do. I had to restart the level.

Mega Man Zero's lives system was really screwed up and didn't give you new lives on a game over. So if you saved the game with 0 lives to spare it would make for a very frustrating experience.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 10:20:25 am »
Had a very big issue with Dead Rising 2 on this matter.

The game has this whole time based system where if you're not at a certain point at the allocated time the whole game will lock down on you and you'll have to restart. I had a save point which was 5 seconds prior to locking the game from not being at a certain place for a mandatory story sections - So whenever I load that save it locks up and asks me to restart the game. It's easily one of the worst structures to a game that I know of. It's pathetic that the game can't adapt to the player missing one measly story event. It's actually ruined the whole franchise to me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:50:53 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 02:35:22 pm »
When I played the original Parasite Eve, I took the option that I was given to save the game right before the final battle. Unfortunately, I didn't have nearly enough ammo to beat Eve at the time I saved, and didn't realize what I had done until it was too late. Since I wasn't smart enough to keep a secondary save from earlier in the game, I would have had to start the game from the beginning to have any chance of finishing it. Maybe someday I'll give it another go.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 02:38:08 pm »
Saved Morrowind at the bottom of an unescapable pit deep in a cave. And thats a game that you put not hours into, but months.