Author Topic: What is your principal goal collecting games?  (Read 4797 times)

Re: What is your principal goal collecting games?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 02:16:16 am »
To fill the gaping hole in my life with stuff, of course.

pzeke

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 04:07:54 pm »
To fill the gaping hole in my life with stuff, of course.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 10:19:04 am »
I think alot people on this thread answered my reason for gaming in some shape or form.

I think of games as books, pieces of art, and when you start  a game, you get teleported into the world.

I see it as looking thru a mirror (TV), a portal to another world, were you can explore, and experience people of that world's emotions.

If i want world full of horrors', it is at hands reach, and i am their. Resident Evil VII with PSVR.

If i want adventure and exploration, recently, Genshin Impact, but i would always play RPGs

If more of story telling, sit back and enjoy, Graphic Novels/Interactive games like Detroit

Be the hero, the Villain, Savior, Demon, etc etc.

As saying goes Gamer wears many Hats.

So Video Game Collecting for me, is me creating network of portals, that are at hands reach to traveler as unseen being to worlds beyond imagination.

I am the Portal Master. =) And i want as many Portals to interesting worlds as i can get get my hands on, that are worth visiting. (No Sports Games) 
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 03:22:29 am »
My principal goal collecting games is actually already reached:

I wanted to build myself a room containing my favorite consoles, plugged and ready to play, offering a not-too-small library of gems and must-have games for every system. As I went on collecting, some shelves grew bigger than expected, and there are still some items "missing", but all in all, I'm very satisfied with my little gaming-lab, as I call it  8)
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

tripredacus

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 09:28:13 am »
All of my collecting goals basically dried up when I finally hit the tipping point of having too many games to play, or owning games I'd never play and have no care about. So I suppose now my only goal is to get all of the Transformers related games, but even so, it is not active. I'm just focusing on collecting other things right now and not really doing anything with games.

shatterstar69

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 07:24:54 am »
My main goal with game collecting is to only buy games that I will enjoy playing.  I do a lot of research before seeking out specific games to make sure it is something I will enjoy.  I don't buy a ton of games because I also collect Blurays/UHDs, music CDS, books, comics, and Magic cards so I have to split the amount of disposable income I have between all these hobbies.  Sometimes I will blind buy a game but I usually end up regretting it, lol  :-[
Time to make the donuts!

Flashback2012

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 02:03:05 pm »

lex2000

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 04:28:13 pm »
I guess it's less of a goal for me and more of a hobby. Video games have been with me throughout practically my whole life and have gotten me through a lot of very tough times. It is now my biggest hobby.

Growing up and watching youtubers like AVGN and more recently Scott the Woz, it's always been a dream of mine to have a room dedicated to video games, with shelves of games just lining the walls. I'm still not that far but hey we all gotta start somewhere, yeah?
@ me when Sinnoh remakes are announced

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 01:03:41 am »
My reason for collecting has changed many times.

First I didn't really collect. I just "never let go of stuff I got" and continued to get stuff.

Then while clearing out my garage one day I found a pencil and paper wish list I had made when I was a kid for if I ever "got rich".

So for a couple of years I worked on that until I checked off everything.

Then I moved on to obscure/lesser known titles and hardware.

Currently I collect physical releases of high quality repros, homebrews and translations of games for NES, SNES, and Genesis.

I also started collecting and restoring full size arcade and pinball machines.

As I get older my ability to "keep up with the current gen", for lack of a better way of putting it, has been faltering. I own Xbox One X and PS 4 Pro and several current gen games but rarely play them. I tried and failed to land pre-orders for PS4 and Xbox SeX.

I still have the desire to game and want new fresh experiences. But I can't devote any consistent time to it and I have too much on my mind that's pays the bills. So sticking to long games with intricate stories has become very hard for me even though I love those games. Switch has made it easier but I hate that everything is digital.

Both my work and life is rather high stress nearly all the time. Even before covid there have been large swaths of time where it just wasn't practical for me to leave the house or get away.

So my collector/gaming space has kind of become a mind palace, sanctuary, safe space if you will.

Each arcade game I have (and my baby Attack From Mars Pinball) connects me to specific memories and times in my life that I don't want to forget.

It's kinda like a time capsule. But I live in it. Sometimes I will just sit on the couch and listen to everything as it runs in attract mode.

I also like to tinker. Arcade and Pinball Machines require a lot of tweaking and tuning to keep running at their prime. Reading manuals and testing/fixing boards is (usually) relaxing to me and I enjoy learning how something I cherish from my past actually works under the hood. Restoring something as old as I am to near new reminds me that old does not have to mean broken, worthless, or obsolete and sometimes I really need that reminder as I get older.

jipsy

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 09:50:20 am »
At first I was just collecting and buying games that I wanted to play. I then started just buying every game I could get my hands on. (Buying in bulk, buying from thrift store etc) Ever since I started to buy game like that I have a new goal; I want to have a room in my house that someone could walk into and be able to play whatever games they want to.

Jipsy

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 12:24:21 am »
At first I was just collecting and buying games that I wanted to play. I then started just buying every game I could get my hands on. (Buying in bulk, buying from thrift store etc) Ever since I started to buy game like that I have a new goal; I want to have a room in my house that someone could walk into and be able to play whatever games they want to.

Buy my house when I pass away.

Or thefleas. :-)

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 01:37:36 pm »

I've seen photos of collectors having a lot of games. It's what inspired me to collect for games. Their is millions of different video games out there. On PC there is even free alterations of many PC games out there and it's almost infinite, downloading free mods and custom content for your game is not illegal and they can give you an excuse to play a game you love differently

for example if you know where to look online you'll find some games have new level's more worlds new fan made content, more storylines and more
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

armani

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 03:34:44 pm »
collect all the good ones I want. not into collecting random garbage games lol

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2021, 03:37:46 pm »
collect all the good ones I want. not into collecting random garbage games lol

same here

(edit) I don't buy my games to ever turn a profit, I buy  for the enjoyment of the games, I am aware of Free ROM's but I don't want to do anything illegal even if the chances of getting caught are slim for most people, I believe that most modern consoles are garbage, and as the gaming industry gets more greedy it's only a matter of time before the Law hammers down on pirating software, and backing people into a buy digital only empire, which gives all the copyright holders of these modern games the ability to charge more and more money if you want to play there games. even if you already gave them money.

What kind of shit is buying a 500GB console to only hold 12 freaking games in some cases, not to mention running up your internet bandwidth to download them
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:14:53 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 04:28:03 pm »
I find it really difficult to answer this question as my attitude changes. 

I started a long time ago as a gamer and like most people didn't take care of much but as I grew older I appreciate everything that goes into producing a game.....especially with old games....the soundtrack, the box artwork, the manual.  It's a piece of history - might be a crap piece of history but even still :)

I have no goals but I like genres mainly RPGs,  point and click, platformers and I just collect what I like.  I have a mix on all platforms from 2600 through Amiga to PS2 being probably the latest iteration I will look at just now.