Author Topic: PS5 General Discussion Thread  (Read 8570 times)

PS5 General Discussion Thread
« on: September 17, 2020, 06:48:15 am »
I have had a lot of thoughts on the PS5 recently so thought I would make a generic thread for people to talk about the console.

So I bit the bullet this morning and pre-ordered the PlayStation 5 at my local GAME store with a £10 deposit.

Honestly, I'm not even bothered about the launch line up, not even remotely and don't intend to get any of the games at launch :P What made me suddenly change my mind? The notion of Final Fantasy XVI being a timed exclusive - I know it's going to be on PC to in time but I'm not a PC gamer and there is no way I would miss that at launch. There are other games I'm excited for too Resident Evil 8 & Oddworld to name a few.

The other problem is my PS4 Pro. It has been confirmed that 99% of PS4 games will run on PS5. Which made me come to the realization that once the PS5 is released I will have zero (Well maybe 1% :P) use for my PS4 Pro. I was going to wait until RE8 was released or something but my concern is that if I am intending to sell my PS4 PRO, that may go down in value by next year and I can't see the PS5 dropping price any time soon. So rather than sticking with my paperweight of a PS4 it would make sense to get rid of it now while it holds it's value right?

Now the research comes into play:
- Will the launch console be sustainable?
- 99% of PS4 titles will work? - CONFIRMED:
https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps5-backwards-compatibility-can-you-play-ps4-games-on-playstation-5
- Will the DLC for PS4 games be compatible on PS5 (You'd hope so right)
- Will the PS4 games be enhanced (Beyond just SSD loadtimes)
- Will I be able to play PS4 games with online capability on my PS5 - With PS4 owners? So if I play the PS4 version of Resident Evil 6 on PS5, can I play with a friend who owns the game on PS4?
- SSD, Can you use external SSD HD's on PS5? I know with Xbox Series X you have an Storage Expansion Card
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:30:44 am by vivigamer »

sworddude

Re: PS5 General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:04:12 am »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:27:55 am »
I think when he says 99% he's accounting for online games with their servers shut down (usually free to play games) and like, P.T. perhaps.

Not sure why DLC wouldn't be supported. PS4 games will probably get their PS4 Pro enhancements but I wouldn't expect too many developers to put in more work on PS4 games to further improve performance.

I think Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War confirmed being able to play PS4 vs PS5. Fortnite and other free to play games I imagine will support this too but the decision is probably left to the developer if they want cross gen multiplayer.

This seems to answer your last point: https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-ssd/

telekill

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:25:12 pm »
I got my PS5 Optical Drive model preordered with the wireless headset. I'll be getting a couple games at launch but I'm not sure which ones yet. Hoping that Outriders and Oddworld are launch games as right now, I'm only seeing AC Valhalla as a possible buy.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 05:54:32 pm »
I got fortunate to get my PS5 at Target before things went crazy and it got really hard for people to get theirs pre-ordered. 

I'm pretty stoked for the PS5 actually, it's got one of the better launch lineups I've seen for a console in recent years other than probably Switch as I'm getting Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Ultimate Edition so I can have the original Spider-Man again that's been remastered), Demon's Souls, and then I'll maybe grab Godfall if it turns out to be good.  We then have some really good games on the horizon...like Horizon 2!  Also God of War 2 and Final Fantasy XVI within the next year or two.  Plus any of the PS4 games that get updates that I'm still playing or would like to go back to if they get a notable improvement.  As long as everything turns out well, this could be one of the better systems I've had, as the Switch after it's first year kind of soured on me.  There's still at least games I enjoy every so often, but I've not played it nearly as much as my PS4 or PC over the past like 2 years.

ferraroso

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 10:40:28 pm »
Well... To tell you all the truth, I'm far from being excited with the PS5's launch. So far, Spider-Man: Miles Morales was the only game that caught my attention...

Well, like I commented in another post, here in Japan, shops are distributing tickets to their clients for a chance to preorder the console. Most of them will reveal the winners by the end of the month, and then people will have the chance to preorder the console.
I got some tickets myself, so now all I can do is wait. Personally, I think it's a lot fairer than what stores did in the US.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 01:36:18 am »
Well... To tell you all the truth, I'm far from being excited with the PS5's launch. So far, Spider-Man: Miles Morales was the only game that caught my attention...

Well, like I commented in another post, here in Japan, shops are distributing tickets to their clients for a chance to preorder the console. Most of them will reveal the winners by the end of the month, and then people will have the chance to preorder the console.
I got some tickets myself, so now all I can do is wait. Personally, I think it's a lot fairer than what stores did in the US.

That at least cuts down on some of the chaos that happened where people were scrambling to get through websites falling apart in a mad dash to collect a pre-order.  Is that the only way to get one before launch though with the ticket? I could see it being a little annoying dealing with a lotto for if you'll be able to even get one, or is this more of a thing that happens early on, but people can still pre-order online?

astralsoul

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 03:19:33 am »
PS5 is looking and sounding great. However just like all other Playstation consoles, I'll wait. Most likely I'll get it when the "Pro" or "Slim" models come out. I just have too many games to play, and not enough time or money. By the time I get one, the games will be cheaper as well.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 07:16:19 am »
PS5 is looking and sounding great. However just like all other Playstation consoles, I'll wait. Most likely I'll get it when the "Pro" or "Slim" models come out. I just have too many games to play, and not enough time or money. By the time I get one, the games will be cheaper as well.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 08:19:27 am »

Same here.  The only thing that is remotely tempting about it (right now) is the PS4 BC and 4K option.  But since I don't havea 4K TV and my regular PS4 is working fine for now, there's no reason not to wait.

ferraroso

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 12:12:26 pm »
Quote from: kamikazekeeg link=topic=11094.msg182930#msg182930 date=
That at least cuts down on some of the chaos that happened where people were scrambling to get through websites falling apart in a mad dash to collect a pre-order.  Is that the only way to get one before launch though with the ticket? I could see it being a little annoying dealing with a lotto for if you'll be able to even get one, or is this more of a thing that happens early on, but people can still pre-order online?

Well, some shops already closed their lottos while others are yet to open it, but as far as I know, that’s the only way you can preorder a PS5 around here.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 02:47:33 am »
Wasn’t able to get my pre order through.

I will survive.

telekill

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 08:48:22 am »
I'm not super hyped about the launch lineup of PS5. I decided to go with AC Valhalla and Spiderman Ultimate Edition as I've yet to play the game from a couple years ago. Spiderman is going under the Christmas tree for my son though. He is a huge fan and Spiderman as well as most super hero games were never my thing.

Main reason for me to upgrade to the PS5 at launch is that I skipped the Pro. My launch PS4 still works perfectly so I wasn't in a rush to dish out another $400 for the mid gen upgrade. Glad I waited. That said, there are many games coming down the pipe for PS5 that look incredible. Now it's a matter of finding the time to play the ones I want.

I'm thinking if there's a lull at the start of the year like there always is, I'll replay the Uncharted games. Starting with the first. Play a PS3 game remastered for the PS4 on the PS5.  8)

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 11:26:10 am »
I'm thinking if there's a lull at the start of the year like there always is, I'll replay the Uncharted games. Starting with the first. Play a PS3 game remastered for the PS4 on the PS5.  8)

Haha :)

This is the kind of information I want to hear about though, how PS4 games will handle on the PS5 - Will it jsut be faster loading times with the SSD or will they actually be enhanced? - I'm hoping Digital Foundry will do a comprehensive test with many PS4 games. Good news is the console is releasing here a week later so by then there should be a lot of info to just make sure the PS4 experience is kept secure.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 01:34:59 pm »
This has ticked me off considerably today:
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/yakuza-like-a-dragon-launches-november-10-for-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-march-2-2021-for-ps5-in-the-west

Yakuza: Like a Dragon will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and the Microsoft Store alongside its previously announced Xbox Series release on November 10, and for PlayStation 5 on March 2, 2021 in the west, publisher Sega and developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio announced.

Users who purchase the digital PlayStation 4 version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon will be able to download the PlayStation 5 version at no additional cost when it launches. The PlayStation 5 version will also be available as a standalone purchase for $59.99.

So much like the Spiderman fiasco, PS4 owners of the Physical Edition Yakuza 7 won't be to play it on PS5 until March 2021... This is VERY off putting and if the trend continues makes the Xbox Series a much better investment for the gamer. But sadly as PS5 has Final Fantasy 16 I'm stuck with it.

I'll probably just wait till March now, not seeing the point in buying an inferior version of the game at full price when Xbox S' owners get a much better deal.