Author Topic: Consoles you got at launch versus ones you waited and got later  (Read 2475 times)

shatterstar69

Re: Consoles you got at launch versus ones you waited and got later
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 03:27:06 am »
The last console I bought at launch was the PS2.  Since then I have waited 6 months to a year before buying a new console and I don’t plan on changing that anytime soon.
Time to make the donuts!

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 08:33:49 am »
I think I got the 3DS and Vita at launch, have cycled through other models since then.

I got the Wii U, PS4, and X1 at launch.  Wii U in general was a regret and disappointment, but it got used way more than the PS4/X1 in its first year of release than the others.

theflea

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2020, 08:29:32 pm »
Here's all the launch consoles I've gotten over the years.

PS2
The first launch console I ever got, my mom got in line at a Best Buy while I was at work and once I got off I took her place. I didn't ask her she wanted to do it for me. The system ended up having a laser eye problem reading PS1 and Blue back discs later on and I had to replace it.

XBOX
My bro worked for Comp USA and was told if he wanted to get an XBOX on launch he could but he had to buy a bunch of warranties to get it. I gave him the money to get me one and I got it and Never had much issue with it. Still runs like a tank. Waste of money on those warranties (lol)

GAMECUBE
I remember getting in line at a Walmart right before they opened and rushing back to electronics and getting my little Black Launch Box. Still own it to this day, never had any issues with it.

PS3
Toys R Us was taking pre orders on the PS3 and the Wii on the same day, I camped out all night and was 3rd in line. we where told we could pick one, I picked the PS3 that was backwards compatible. Later it turned out to be harder to get a Wii then the PS3. Still own that system and it works fine.

PS4 & XBOX ONE
Didn't have any issues getting these consoles on launch, just was at Gamestop asked about pre orders and I put money down on both of them.
Both had no issues, still run to this day.

SWITCH
My Gamestop had a midnight opening to sell the console and when I got there I was 2nd in line and got a system and BotW. There was a small hand full of people there not to crazy. Never had any issues with the console still runs great.

XBOX ONE X
I wanted the Scorpio Edition and Gamestop sold out of pre orders and I thought I was screwed, I later saw Amazon posted pre orders and got one through them.
I got it a day after launch date and its still running great for games, only issue I've had with with it it doesn't seem to want to play DVD movies anymore.

SWITCH LITE
I wanted the Limited Edition Pokemon version. I was at Gamestop and they said they where out of in store pre orders but I could order online. So I had to pay the whole thing down and it came in the mail. I honesty have not opened the box. lol

PS5
With Sony dropping surprise pre orders and it was right as I was starting work, I tried to get my bro to get a pre order but it was too late. I was online on my phone trying to get though any place to get a pre order in with no luck. Best Buy was late with their pre orders and went up at midnight, it took me three hours of error screens and refreshes to finally get a pre order through. So far it hasn't been cancelled.

XBSX
I was stuck at work till 3am before I could go see if people where camping out side Gamestops. I get off and dash to the main store in my area and see there and see along line of people camping outside the store. The store had posted on their door they where only had 8 Series X pre orders, so I rushed to a smaller Gamestop and see 3 people camping out. They posted 4 Series X pre orders and I just stayed there. Once they opened I got my pre order done.

The rest of the consoles I got after launch date,

The Wii U I was in a Shopko and just happened to see one on the shelf and bought it a week after launch.
The system had issues booting up and I had to send it to Nintendo for repairs, haven't had an issue with it sense.

The XB360 I remember I had to work and again my mom offered to wait outside to help me get one, but she was sick with the flu and I told her no, I'll wait.
I got one about 3 months later and of course it got the red ring of death. I think I had to replace my 360 more then any console I own.

I picked up a Wii about 3 months after launch, people wanted to play Wii Sports and I was bringing it to game parties. Still runs fine never had an issue with it.

As for a PS4 Pro, I didn't feel the need to get one right away. My first and only Pro is the 500 Million Special Edition.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:32:37 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"