Author Topic: Microsoft Buys Zenimax (Bethesda, et al)  (Read 2882 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Microsoft Buys Zenimax (Bethesda, et al)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 06:05:35 pm »
I'm sold. Xbox next-gen, due to this. I love Elder Scrolls and Dishonored way too much to miss out on those. And Wolfenstein, to a lesser degree.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 06:15:39 pm »
I guess as long as the ES games and Star Field are also on the PC I could really care less. I get that big companies like this are always buying each other out. but part of me wonders if a lot of this had to do with Bethesda losing a massive amount of money on Fallout 76. I've heard rumors that 76 was the template for what they were going to do with ES6, and since that failed I wonder if starting over became financially impossible for them. Sadly I guess this also means no more Doom multiplats.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 01:52:00 am »
Elder Scrolls 6 Xbox exclusive confirmed
Nope.
No confirmation either way, but given there is little info on either game, I'd put my money on Xbox/PC exclusive.
That's a pretty bad bet. Why miss out on so much money? Nearly 20 million players played a version of Skyrim on PlayStation. Not to mention both Phil Spencer and Todd Howard are already mentioning not being exclusive with the "game by game basis" quote and Todd Howard saying this:

"Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one."

I don't think Microsoft cares about the Playstation market ,as far as selling their games in it anyways .
Minecraft and Minecraft Dungeons and to a lesser extent Cuphead?

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 05:31:48 am »
The Xbox having almost no exclusives meme is broken after 4 generations

Having almost no exclusives was microsoft's signature, 

sad times  :'(

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:35:36 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gummo

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 10:00:04 am »

I don't think Microsoft cares about the Playstation market ,as far as selling their games in it anyways .

Cuphead is not Microsoft's IP so they had nothing to lose by pimping it on other consoles later on and Minecraft was not Microsoft's IP either when it went to PSN . Whatever deals they already had I'm sure they'll honor , beyond that I wouldn't hold my breath as they are trying to sell Game Pass .

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 02:52:57 pm »

Cuphead is not Microsoft's IP so they had nothing to lose by pimping it on other consoles later on and Minecraft was not Microsoft's IP either when it went to PSN . Whatever deals they already had I'm sure they'll honor , beyond that I wouldn't hold my breath as they are trying to sell Game Pass .
They definitely had to approve Cuphead going to PlayStation. They could have stopped supporting it once they bought Minecraft but instead it's getting even more support in some ways by having a VR mode on PlayStation that's not on Xbox. Minecraft Dungeons is a separate title title that launched this year.

If PlayStation would allow it they would happily put Game Pass on PlayStation.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 03:44:23 pm »
This is actually my thought, that Sony and MS might mutually agree to allow PSNow/Game Pass on each other's platform.  There's a lot of speculation that MS and Sony are gearing up to make the majority of their money through GaaS instead of SaaS.

gummo

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 04:12:35 pm »
They definitely had to approve Cuphead going to PlayStation. They could have stopped supporting it once they bought Minecraft but instead it's getting even more support in some ways by having a VR mode on PlayStation that's not on Xbox. Minecraft Dungeons is a separate title title that launched this year.

I think Minecraft was more a chance to experiment in crossplay for MS than a move to make money from Sony . VR is not on Xbox yet, but it is on Windows PCs, in other words it wasn't developed solely for PS VR . And Minecraft Dungeons , who knows ?

MS absolutely would sell GP for Playstation if they could , they have openly supported crossplay . I don't know if that's in the realm of possibilities though .

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 11:54:37 pm »
A rumor that's going around is that while Sony isn't doing big company grabs, they are courting publishers for console exclusives (Obvious seeing stuff like the Final Fantasy exclusivity), one being a remake of Metal Gear Solid for PS5 and then them doing remasters of MGS 1 to 4, so that would be a pretty "solid" get for Sony I think, I know I've been wanting them to do a new collection with MGS4 since the PS4.  Of course it could all be nonsense, it's just a rumor, but Metal Gear Solid does have a big history for Sony, being generally exclusive for a time on three of their consoles, so it makes a lot of sense just like they are doing with Final Fantasy lately.

Konami is such a weird company these days though, so I don't how real this would be if it's Konami making the game, as they haven't made anything of note in years, since MGSV in 2015, though maybe a bundle of Sony cash gets them going to actually try again, or perhaps another studio comes up to make it, like Bluepoint making the Demon's Souls remake.  It's interesting, because while no one really wants to see an exclusivity battle, not everyone can own all the consoles, what this kind of stuff does do is create competition between the companies.  Xbox got their ass handed to them this past generation and now they throwing around cash with a goal to start chipping away at Playstation (As I don't think they'll be doing big numbers at launch with them not having big games ready). 

Will it work out? Who knows, but this will be an interesting generation for sure with Nintendo doing well, Playstation starting out real strong with their success from the previous generation, and Xbox coming in hard with some real big plans for the future of their system.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:58:18 pm by kamikazekeeg »

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 08:30:26 am »
if they actually buy sega ps5 is in some big shit.

I don't think 3d sonic has much value these days but They'll lose persona and yakuza, Sega did buy atlus after all.

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 08:50:54 am »
Konami is such a weird company these days though, so I don't how real this would be if it's Konami making the game, as they haven't made anything of note in years, since MGSV in 2015

It has been rumored for a while that Sony was trying to buy Konami - or at least the Konami IPs - and at this point I'd be happy if anyone did.  I'm one of the weirdos that could take or leave MGS, but I need some new Castlevania.

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 08:57:27 am »
Konami is such a weird company these days though, so I don't how real this would be if it's Konami making the game, as they haven't made anything of note in years, since MGSV in 2015

It has been rumored for a while that Sony was trying to buy Konami - or at least the Konami IPs - and at this point I'd be happy if anyone did.  I'm one of the weirdos that could take or leave MGS, but I need some new Castlevania.

There is, konami has been busy with castlevania mobile games these days, symphony of the night clones with pay to win micro transactions

this one should come sometime soon

Castlevania Moonlight Rhapsody

That being said considering that creator of symphony of the night literally moved out and makes games of it's own you could consider ritual of the night and curse of the moon to be th true succesors to classic castlevania

Both metroidvania and the more classic action castlevania is represented.

Sadly not 16 bit but curse of the moon is basicly 16 bit with an 8 bit color palette at this point.

Unless you really want the god of war 3d castlevania lord of shadow games back, probably the reason why the man himself koji left since he wanted to make the classic games again. not some mobile trash or 3d god of war clones. literally nothing what the series was actually known for.

also remember konami released contra rogue corps in 2019. it was trash but at least they tried that's a series that I haven't seen them touch in a while :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:03:23 am by sworddude »

pzeke

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 09:56:28 am »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 10:07:32 am »
Didn't think I'd need to clarify this, but here it is.

but I need some new console Castlevania.

And I've got the first two Bloodstained games.  It's not just about the gameplay, it's about the IP.  CV is a much stronger idea than Bloodstained.

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 10:39:29 am »
Sure I get that the original cast and such. it's konami's property after all.

IMO better to ignore future games in the series and stick with the old stuff in terms of iconic cast and characters. because no matter how much better the original cast is it might never return, the good creators of the series have left after all, those where basicly the soul of the series.

because odds are new castlevania games are going to dissapoint. I did not like lords of shadow but that could make a return I guess, if that was good enough for castlevania fans than by all means go ahead. at least if where talking current konami that is. things could change.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:44:22 am by sworddude »