Author Topic: Microsoft Buys Zenimax (Bethesda, et al)  (Read 2865 times)

Microsoft Buys Zenimax (Bethesda, et al)
« on: September 21, 2020, 09:47:36 am »
$7.5 billion purchase price.  Guess they really wanted some exclusives.

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-buys-bethesda-parent-zenimax-media-for-7-5-b-1845127153

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Microsoft Buys Zenimax (Bethesda, et al)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:00:41 am »
Wow! This changes the game
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

telekill

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:11:50 am »
This is a big move by Microsoft. Hopefully they can get Bethesda under control enough that they don't release bug infested games or have nightmare releases like Fallout 76 again. I remember when Bethesda was synonymous with quality. Here's looking to them obtaining that again.

telly

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:21:00 am »
This is a big move by Microsoft. Hopefully they can get Bethesda under control enough that they don't release bug infested games or have nightmare releases like Fallout 76 again. I remember when Bethesda was synonymous with quality. Here's looking to them obtaining that again.

At least they've been putting out some quality FPS games like Wolfenstein and Doom. But yeah, their RPGs have really been underwhelming lately I feel.

EDIT: That said, I feel like the last thing the Xbox brand needs is more shooters. They already have Gears and Halo haha.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:24:03 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dhaabi

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:28:00 am »
Did Xbox Series pre-orders just double, if not more?

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:42:08 pm »
Most of Bethesda's releases head straight to the bargain bin so heading straight to Game Pass isn't much of a change.

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout mainline games will be on PlayStation.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 12:48:47 pm »
Elder Scrolls 6 Xbox exclusive confirmed

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 12:51:14 pm »
Nope.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 02:06:10 pm »
Nope.
No confirmation either way, but given there is little info on either game, I'd put my money on Xbox/PC exclusive.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 02:43:20 pm »
In an interview with Bloomberg, Spencer said that upcoming Bethesda games like its single-player sci-fi RPG Starfield will come to Xbox, PC, and Game Pass. Whether it will also still come to PS5 is now less than certain. “We’ll take other consoles on a case-by-case basis,” Spencer told Bloomberg.

Well that is not promising.

https://kotaku.com/future-bethesda-games-will-come-to-other-consoles-on-a-1845129483

dhaabi

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 03:00:25 pm »
In an interview with Bloomberg, Spencer said that upcoming Bethesda games like its single-player sci-fi RPG Starfield will come to Xbox, PC, and Game Pass. Whether it will also still come to PS5 is now less than certain. “We’ll take other consoles on a case-by-case basis,” Spencer told Bloomberg.

Well that is not promising.

https://kotaku.com/future-bethesda-games-will-come-to-other-consoles-on-a-1845129483

Perhaps for some franchises such as Rage, Prey, and The Evil Within, but for highly prolific franchises such as TES and Fallout, in addition to Starfield, there would be way too much money to lose in a exclusivity release, even if it were only timed exclusivity. I have strong hopes for the latter still being released on Sony's platforms.

telly

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 03:37:26 pm »
I would place my money on it being a timed exclusive but I guess we'll see what happens.
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 04:18:48 pm »
Update to the same article-

The commitments we’ve already made with the gamers out there on the games people know about, we will continue with those commitments. The thing this is really about is a huge investment in our Xbox community. They know that the great games coming from ZeniMax and all of those studios—we’re now over 23 studios inside of Xbox—those games will be able to come to the Xbox community, they’ll come to Game Pass day-and-date, and people will just have this amazing collection of great games to continue to play on Xbox.

Release date for Game Pass.  This actually makes me tempted to get a Series S.  Probably just keep upgrading my PC.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 04:31:57 pm »
Definitely a good thing to boost their console exclusives.  It'll be business as usual for me as most of their stuff is what I play on PC anyways, and these will all be on PC no matter what, but some of them going Xbox only is kinda significant.  I also don't think they'll make everything exclusive though, because losing the Playstation market is a pretty big market to lose.  Like I could see some of their biggest games like Elder Scrolls being on a timed exclusivity before coming to Playstation perhaps, but we'll have to wait and see.

gummo

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 05:23:52 pm »
I don't think Microsoft cares about the Playstation market ,as far as selling their games in it anyways .