Author Topic: PS3, PSP & Vita Store Closing Down - I hope I've Read This Wrong?!  (Read 7577 times)

covfefe2020

Re: PS3, PSP & Vita Store Closing Down - I hope I've Read This Wrong?!
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2021, 05:43:56 pm »
you love to see it. The customer is always right.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

mrkonasoni

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2021, 06:17:29 pm »
you love to see it. The customer is always right.

I will buy that for a dollar.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2021, 09:20:53 pm »
I still don't trust them to keep things up very long, so I'm going through the process of downloading all patches for PSP, PS3, and PSVita games now so I have them available to me when I finally get to many of the games still on my backlog.

Sony, just fix the CMOS issue, mm'kay? Or you want to make some bank? Offer us a Playstation console that plays everything, 1-5 (okay, maybe 1-4, but then fix the damn CMOS on 5).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:23:09 pm by bunnybear »
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2021, 01:58:20 am »
I still don't trust them to keep things up very long, so I'm going through the process of downloading all patches for PSP, PS3, and PSVita games now so I have them available to me when I finally get to many of the games still on my backlog.

Sony, just fix the CMOS issue, mm'kay? Or you want to make some bank? Offer us a Playstation console that plays everything, 1-5 (okay, maybe 1-4, but then fix the damn CMOS on 5).

if only they would ::)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2021, 12:37:28 pm »
What a nightmare this has been... glad to see Sony have come to their sense... but for how long?

Regardless this has given me the kick up the backside to get the last PS3/Vita stuff I want - I got most of it with a decent deal online for a PSN  voucher. The whole fiasco has still put a lot of doubt between me and Sony. The Final Fantasy XVI exclusivity saved me jumping to Xbox this time, but if Xbox continue to treat their heritage titles with the respect they've been doing so, I will inevitably jump ships.

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/23/digital-playstation-3-purchases-may-only-live-as-long-as-your-pram-battery-without-sony-servers/?fbclid=IwAR2qcriUxg-4JIet3Wb23aTcU-qhpNbTyh6fuB1sMQ5-FF8ZSrBAYqsujTI

https://youtu.be/qt5juSuq69g?t=1317 at the 22 minute mark

It seems that the cmos battery issue exist on ps3 aswell but not as bad as ps4 that it would affect physical games.

However If this is actually true you might not want to buy that much digital content. If sony ever decides to close down them ps3 stores your digital games dlc etc might be worthless. so the fomo purchases that people make before the store closes down would ironicly not be saved since after closure when your cmos battery dies all your digital content might not work anymore even when you replace it.

If we Consider that there is a time window in how long sony will keep them gates open it might not be usable for all that long. I hope the ps3 one isn't true considering how people actually made some last second purchases since the store would close down to play them later on.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2021, 11:44:46 pm »
this article is about consumer rights so nobody is suppose to disable products that consumers purchased legally

https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/bureau-consumer-protection

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2021, 05:08:35 am »
However If this is actually true you might not want to buy that much digital content. If sony ever decides to close down them ps3 stores your digital games dlc etc might be worthless. so the fomo purchases that people make before the store closes down would ironicly not be saved since after closure when your cmos battery dies all your digital content might not work anymore even when you replace it.

If we Consider that there is a time window in how long sony will keep them gates open it might not be usable for all that long. I hope the ps3 one isn't true considering how people actually made some last second purchases since the store would close down to play them later on.
I know many on here will have a far larger PS3 collection that I, but I downloaded all the patches for my nearly 80 physical games..... and it came to a grand total of 11.5 GB. Not bad, to be honest, and there are a lot of AAA releases in that library (but GOTY editions where possible, so in addition to DLC said editions also tend to have all patches on disc as well).

In case anyone hasn’t booted up their PS3 in a while, the instant you pop in a disc, the system looks for all the updates to download and install.... even before installing the game. So it’s a pretty easy process to get all the game patches without having to fill up your disc with all the games themselves.  :)

this article is about consumer rights so nobody is suppose to disable products that consumers purchased legally

1) nobody here, except you, thinks Sony is going to intentionally disable the console.  ::)
2) The world is bigger then the US, so in any event what you’re citing with that link does apply to anyone here outside the US
3) that’s not even an article you linked..... it’s just the web portal for consumer protection information
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

sworddude

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2021, 05:26:15 am »

https://youtu.be/inlbg2I7Qnc?t=1041 17.21 minute mark

Sony is allowed to do that laywers have already looked at them rules sony got them asses covered. You can't sue them even for physical games. Technicalities long after a console is dead ain't there responsbility.  Even with snes and sega genesis games you technially don't own the license however the game is stuck physical so you can do with it what you want except for copying it and selling those like a ton of people did with dvd's back in the day.

Music and movies hate physical since you earn way less money that way since people can sell it 2nd hand aka the reason why those 2 sectors are really digital heavy these days. They hate phsyical like the plague.

I will say that oldgamerz isn't entirely incorrect Companies might have made this design choice on purpose.

PS1 can still be used like back than.
ps2 has some dead servers of online games.
Ps3 all your digital content and probably patches already downloaded on your system will be unusable when servers are down even when it's on your system.
ps4 both digital and physical games will be unusable withouth servers when the battery dies

Giving less control to the consumer isn't just sony exclusive. These practices happen everywhere. phones music movies.

As a company you can scrape stuff away little by little giving less control to the consumer however you want to do this when people hardly notice it. However since people complained and noticed it this time they might reverse it a bit since people discovered these intentional or accidental flaws.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:07:46 am by sworddude »

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2021, 11:58:10 am »

I know many on here will have a far larger PS3 collection that I, but I downloaded all the patches for my nearly 80 physical games..... and it came to a grand total of 11.5 GB. Not bad, to be honest, and there are a lot of AAA releases in that library (but GOTY editions where possible, so in addition to DLC said editions also tend to have all patches on disc as well).

In case anyone hasn’t booted up their PS3 in a while, the instant you pop in a disc, the system looks for all the updates to download and install.... even before installing the game. So it’s a pretty easy process to get all the game patches without having to fill up your disc with all the games themselves.  :)

That's why I'm so quick to stand by the PS3, because of how many games progress and patches can fit onto a single PS3, unlike most modern consoles, where one game can take the equivalent of 80 game patches and the games. one game on a PS4 or Xbox one needs to be downloaded and installed AND patched in order to play it. All the while requiring 20GB or more sometimes 100GB in call of duty's case.

I am well aware of claims to say storage capacity is cheaper these days. But that don't stop the fact that this stuff takes resources to build, limited resources, that the planet has. and slave labor. hard drives and most other electronics are made from a type of crystal

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2021, 12:04:30 pm »

That's why I'm so quick to stand by the PS3, because of how many games progress and patches can fit onto a single PS3, unlike most modern consoles, where one game can take the equivalent of 80 game patches and the games. one game on a PS4 or Xbox one needs to be downloaded and installed AND patched in order to play it. All the while requiring 20GB or more sometimes 100GB in call of duty's case.

I am well aware of claims to say storage capacity is cheaper these days. But that don't stop the fact that this stuff takes resources to build, limited resources, that the planet has. and slave labor. hard drives and most other electronics are made from a type of crystal

Allot of people just delete games that they don't play anymore with those consoles. you could always download it again later on well for the forseeable future at least.

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2021, 05:09:11 pm »

Just like PCs. At the end of the day consoles with the exception of the Switch are PCs without the functionalities of a traditional computers. What PS4 and Xbox One are doing is no different than what PC games are doing with patches and games being installed unto the hard drive except there is no physical media attached to it(at least anymore). Plus as sworddude said, free up space for games you arent using it and leave it for those you want. Not the end of the world.

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2021, 05:49:52 pm »

Just like PCs. At the end of the day consoles with the exception of the Switch are PCs without the functionalities of a traditional computers. What PS4 and Xbox One are doing is no different than what PC games are doing with patches and games being installed unto the hard drive except there is no physical media attached to it(at least anymore). Plus as sworddude said, free up space for games you arent using it and leave it for those you want. Not the end of the world.

Modern console don't seem useful to me, I could buy a new PS4 now or PS5 still in the Box, but, I would only be able to use it temporary probably. no point, but unlike a lot of people I don't just buy any game to sell it later when I'm done with it, If anyone of you only play a game a few times and never go back to it ever again then buy a modern console., there is so much to life in these games
but developers are still working there asses off to make new games for these things, but in a few years their project will just get trashed. all that work will be lost unless the developers keep them in a safe backup place. without a working console their project is just a waste of time, not to mention each time a new console comes out developers need to re-learn how to design games for the newer hardware.

Digital is fine but not when it take up so much space on a hard drive. I just won't quit on this.

As for PC? there is billions of free legal custom content for games on PC for free. and, as of right now there is a somewhat easy way to put digital steam downloads to a hard drive to use them in the future, as for the PS3? well it would take some hacking just to get all the patches working on most PS3 games. when you can't download them anymore. SONY even wrote in the PS3 fine print that when you use the PS3 backup utility it will only backup some of a lot of the games data, not all the patch will ever write to your backup drive without additional hacking

also with the PS3 you can not just swap out hard drives I tried that, and I needed to reformat my entire hard drive, and  re-install the PS3 operating system. You can not just take a hard dirve off a failed PS3 and put it into another without first having a copy of that  base  PS3 operating system.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:02:24 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2021, 06:48:17 pm »
also with the PS3 you can not just swap out hard drives I tried that, and I needed to reformat my entire hard drive, and  re-install the PS3 operating system. You can not just take a hard dirve off a failed PS3 and put it into another without first having a copy of that  base  PS3 operating system.

Which is exactly how it works for a PC as well.

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2021, 06:55:44 pm »
How do you expect digital to not take up hard drive space when its freaking data and just like any data on a computer, it takes up hard drive space.