Author Topic: Using Hardware Vs. Using (Legit) Emulation For Older Games  (Read 1879 times)

Using Hardware Vs. Using (Legit) Emulation For Older Games
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:13:50 am »
For me I like both

but only Legit emulation. Sure it's tempting to download thousands of free ROMs, and play them on PC, or other devices, but it's just not for me. (except for Atari 2600 ROMs I have on a Portable device) As for emulation period, what is the difference between playing something on real hardware? compared to playing an emulated console or some kind of ROM? something like an official NES classic/Mini

I always wanted to know this. Because I play PlayStation 1 games on a PS3 and 99.9% of all my PlayStation 1 games play are fine. and no noticeable slowdown on most of them. Even though it's technically emulation. So do you think emulation better? or worse then playing most games on original hardware? I've never seen a difference, but I don't really know anything about computer chips and other hardware for consoles
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Using Hardware Vs. Using (Legit) Emulation For Older Games
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 03:23:41 am »
After modding my PS1 classic and comparing the difference between playing on that and using my PS1 discs I don't think i'll ever go back to playing PS1 games on the PS3. It really is night and day! I bought many USA PS1 releases off the PS Store too - Xenogears, Parasite Eve etc.

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 05:05:19 am »
So do you think emulation better?

Of course. Emulation is the shit - it was, and still is the future. Only purists make a fuss about it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

rudy09

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 04:56:43 pm »
For me I like both

but only Legit emulation. Sure it's tempting to download thousands of free ROMs, and play them on PC, or other devices, but it's just not for me. (except for Atari 2600 ROMs I have on a Portable device) As for emulation period, what is the difference between playing something on real hardware? compared to playing an emulated console or some kind of ROM? something like an official NES classic/Mini

I always wanted to know this. Because I play PlayStation 1 games on a PS3 and 99.9% of all my PlayStation 1 games play are fine. and no noticeable slowdown on most of them. Even though it's technically emulation. So do you think emulation better? or worse then playing most games on original hardware? I've never seen a difference, but I don't really know anything about computer chips and other hardware for consoles
I prefer legit hardware

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 06:13:54 pm »
So do you think emulation better?

Of course. Emulation is the shit - it was, and still is the future. Only purists make a fuss about it.

Especially with how you can emulate from a vast amount of devices outside of just a PC.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 08:41:31 pm »
Emulate all of it.
Games deserve to be played. Prices keep a lot of folks from playing really good games.
Enjoy it all

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 08:44:00 pm »
Original hardware. I find clone systems like Retron 5 have issues like input lag, or the Genesis clones sounding terrible. I want to play games as they should be played. And I'm a collector, so I want that physical item.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 09:37:43 pm »
For those of you who do emulation the Hyperkin RetroN 2 is a good emulator console for both Super Nintendo and Regular NES game cartridges. Mine works great,  no lag and I can use both official and Un-official game controllers too. :)

But it is AV and S-video out only or at least the one I have. Mine does not connect HDMI
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:39:29 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 06:33:16 am »
imo, emulation is way more practical and cost-efficient. I spent years and years playing everything I wasn't able to play in childhood-days, and I'm really thankfull for all those sources for roms, etc. ...

But actually I turned out to be a "Purist" ... without making a fuss about it. I totally understand why many People use emulating programs for their retro-game-experiences ... but mine personally do include using the original systems, that's just the way I for myself can pull much more joy out of it. I love reading instruction booklets before clipping in cartridges, and I love the feel of old controls in my hands. Darn, even blowing into slots to make games work  8) get's me in somewhat sensual mood, hehe ...

I think everyone should choose for himself, what's the better fitting way of experiencing old games - I chose having my like 12 Systems or so, set up in one room, surrounded by shelves of cartridge-stacks - all ready to go, if I want a quick play. But that's not only for gaming, but living out my nostalgia connected to those old games. That's definitely nothing really "necessary" ... if it is just the games itself for you, then stick with the "good ol'" Emulators  :o
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 09:13:57 am »
Original hardware. I find clone systems like Retron 5 have issues like input lag, or the Genesis clones sounding terrible. I want to play games as they should be played. And I'm a collector, so I want that physical item.

I prefer original hardware. I can’t play games I’m good at on emulation. SMB is unplayable on emulation. If I have to learn how to play something new, emulation is just fine.

tldr; This was some incoherent rambling.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 11:51:29 am »
I prefer to play everything on original hardware when possible. With that said however, I'm currently into buying flash carts and disc emulators to play game roms on the original hardware. Still, sometimes I'm just feeling lazy and want to plug in a USB controller to my laptop and play some NES or arcade game. Sure, there's probably some slight difference because it's being emulated, but I don't really care.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 12:39:45 pm »
Especially with how you can emulate from a vast amount of devices outside of just a PC.

Precisely. And emulation is also a great way to not only play arcade games, but preserve them as well.

[...] SMB is unplayable on emulation.

You seriously lost me there...

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 01:37:53 pm »

Precisely. And emulation is also a great way to not only play arcade games, but preserve them as well.

In regards to arcade games, this is the reason why I went out my way to softmod an OG Xbox to install CoinOps 8 and the amount of arcade titles is ridiculous. I'm sure there are more viable options these days but this was my way at the time to get a boatload of titles. Couple that with a couple of adapters to use my PS4 arcade sticks on the Xbox and I am good to go.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 01:38:54 pm »

He's right. That's the exact game that throws me completely off in emulation. I know how that game feels. I never die on it. On a Retron 5 the input lag was incredibly apparent on SMB, I was dying left and right

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 01:48:33 pm »
sometimes free ROM can have issues, I had a few before I knew they were illegal ', and Mike Tyson's Punch-out didn't have a low blow option as far as we could tell. Making the hippo king impossible to beat, therefore after looking it up on the internet  we found out that you were suppose to punch him in the stomach but me and my friend could never do it, no matter which button we tried.

We pressed all the button's on the controller. Maybe there was a combo that we didn't know about? since A and B Select and Start and a D-pad  are the only button's used for NES games,, we tried using the D-pad and pressing all the button and we still could not beat that character

It's safer and better two not use free ROMS, since it's it basically the same thing as you know what on the internet

Retron 5 I heard was not a good console, which is why I never bought one  :-\
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:40:41 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED