Author Topic: Will We Still Get HD Remasters in the PS5/Xbox Series Era?  (Read 1901 times)

Will We Still Get HD Remasters in the PS5/Xbox Series Era?
« on: November 04, 2020, 11:48:23 am »
Had this thought today as news came out about Days Gone getting significant 4K/60FPS Upgrades - Do you think we will get HD/4K Remasters of PS4/XBX1titles?

I expect we'll still get PS3/360 Era games Remastered but I think If "99%" of games work on the PS5 i'd rather just an upgrade Patch like Days Gone has received.

Flashback2012

Re: Will We Still Get HD Remasters in the PS5/Xbox Series Era?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 11:56:13 am »
Had this thought today as news came out about Days Gone getting significant 4K/60FPS Upgrades - Do you think we will get HD/4K Remasters of PS4/XBX1titles?

I expect we'll still get PS3/360 Era games Remastered but I think If "99%" of games work on the PS5 i'd rather just an upgrade Patch like Days Gone has received.

Oh absolutely. Those things are here to stay. I mean, why make a game with new code and what not when you can jazz up an already programmed game and make it look nicer with better hardware?

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 12:00:56 pm »
Uh, yeah.  I mean, Demon's Souls, Spiderman Remastered, we're seeing launch titles that are remasters/remakes.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 12:49:44 pm »
Well Demons Souls is is a full on Remake - Much like how bluepoints PS4 SotC was (but their PS3 version of SotC is a Remaster!)

The Spiderman release is a good point but then that has had a lot of iffy business around it - I think it will be available individually in time.

I'll be interested to see what games get Re-released. i just think Remasters of previous gen titles might be on the decline - I can't see releases like Ni No Kuni or DmC which offer minimal changes upgrades when we have examples like Days Gone offering upgrades with a Patch.

Then you look at other games like Xbox's wonderful enhancements to the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy - they practically look like PS4/XB1 games! So both dies are clearly capable.

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 01:59:38 pm »
[...] i just think Remasters of previous gen titles might be on the decline [...]

Hopefully. But you know these people need to make a quick buck, so a remaster or two will inevitably slither its way through the cracks.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 03:13:36 pm »
Remember how they touted 1080p/60fps as a selling point early on in the generations for games? I feel like the same thing will happen except its 4K/60fps rather than HD Remaster and whatnot.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 08:45:15 pm »
I hope so. I enjoy revisiting old games with improved graphics/content.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 09:19:09 am »
I feel there werem more remasters in the current gen then in the past, so i don't see that changing.

hexag0n

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 01:56:58 pm »
Definitely, I think we'll see a lot more "HD Collections" of Xbox/PS2 and 360/PS3 era games.  Seeing as Xbox Series X/S and PS5 have 100% backwards compatibility with Xbox One and PS4 respectively (save for Kinect titles and a literal handful of PS4 games); it'll be interesting to see how many developers choose to patch upgrades (4k, 60-120FPS, HDR, etc.) into their old games for the new systems and how many would rather re-release them as an "enhanced" version.  We're already seeing where Activision is charging an extra $10 for the upgraded version of the new Call of Duty, even though you can use the same disk for both Xbox One and Xbox Series X.

dreama1

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
I don't know why anyone thinks it's something new lately. It's been going on since the SNES days.

telekill

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:46:00 pm »
There's only 1 that I want and that's the often rumored Mass Effect trilogy. Give us 4k textures and raytracing with better overall graphics on PS5. I would love it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 07:55:21 pm »
Bloodrayne 1 & 2 Enhanced was just announced.

bizzarnage

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 04:20:17 am »
Now, when I read this the first thought that came to my mind was "Of course! Especially with capcom" And while I still think that, I also feel like a lot of games might not get remasters or enhancements but rather be part of a catalogue for streaming services. I'm thinking mostly of PS Now (Not sure if there's something like this for Xbox, forgive my ignorance) but I gotta say, a lot of nice titles are on PS Now already. I don't imagine it's particularly hard for Sony to maintain the service so I don't see them shying away from really showcasing it as an option for the future of the PS5 especially if they decide to make PS3 titles available.

I don't dislike HD remakes, but I hope that the ones we see surfacing in the early days of this new gen are of quality. We don't need another Silent Hill "HD" collection ::) (or anything else like it tbh)
Do I look like I celebrate Festivus? 依ヴど疫 ヺ び慰

shfan

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 10:42:15 am »
We don't need another Silent Hill "HD" collection ::) (or anything else like it tbh)

*shudder*

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 10:58:06 am »
There's only 1 that I want and that's the often rumored Mass Effect trilogy. Give us 4k textures and raytracing with better overall graphics on PS5. I would love it.

Well well well...