Author Topic: Wrath of the "Hidden Gem"  (Read 3165 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Wrath of the "Hidden Gem"
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 09:22:09 pm »
In an avalanche, do you blame the person who's shouting set it in motion, or do you blame all of the snow for rushing down the mountain and burying you? Scalpers gonna scalp. First, they gotta know what to scalp. Actually, I'm pretty sure the phrase "going up in price" is a registered trademark of his show at this point.

MJ ruined my life. He's one of the lizard people, and I can prove it.

pzeke

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 12:58:27 pm »
First off, Hiya! I'm new here and this is my first post so forgive me if this subject's been done to death already, but I figured I'd ask and see how the rest of you fine folks feel on the subject;

Welcome to the fold. I dig your username.

[...] This is how I learned about MetalJesusRocks. Some dude who REALLY can't get over Splashdown rides gone wild and every arcade racer I can think of. I feel like a lot of these people for some reason have legit influence on the prices of games and I find it to be ridiculous and exhausting as a collector to have to worry that some random quirky game I haven't bought yet suddenly doubles in average asking price because some dude who's famous for owning a 64DD makes a video and says it's a hidden gem. I've had store owners tell me this guy's calling what they're selling "Rare and hard to find" and going off that alone in charging loads.

This has been a topic of discussion for some time in various places, YouTube especially, and not just in regard to video games, but other type of collectibles as well. I personally agree with the argument that having a sizable audience and making a video about a certain item will in fact help propel that item's value no matter for how small the amount, even if it's just short-term—cause and effect. For example, back in 2015 when the GameGrumps started releasing their playthrough of "The Munchables" for the Wii, almost instantly you could see an influx in sales on eBay for the game; you could see certain listings going for more than the game was worth at the time, and you could even see some sellers raising their initial BIN price as well. Hell, I'll go even further, I still remember a listing where the seller unabashedly put "AS SEEN ON GAMEGRUMPS" on both the title and the description, and even had a screencap of one of the episodes, which I believe is a clear-cut indicator of how these personalities do in fact affect the hobby and its market, whether they do it intentionally or not. Granted, I don't think it's as prevalent as it used to be years ago, at least is not as obvious, but it’s still there and it's unfortunate nonetheless, especially for anyone new to the hobby. Since this has been going on for a while now, the choices are limited: either feed the vultures or learn to be patient...or better yet; if all you want is to play the games, emulate them. Best advise is to first do research on whatever game you're interested, chances are you'll come to realize is not as rare or that "hidden of a gem" as some claim it to be.

As thewelshman pointed out, this goes beyond YouTube, but I think the platform certainly has the better reach and lends itself perfectly for this kind of exploit.

I look at it this way. The guy has connections to people who own stores; people who go to conventions to sell their big goodies to traveling collectors who come loaded to break bank. Call it a theory or a conspiracy or what have you, but I've been to two stores who've outright stated that it's "Only gonna get more expensive" BECAUSE he's made videos about these games. If you call something a hidden gem people looking to make a buck are gonna use it as a certification to clown out and sell things at ridiculous prices which hurts the hobby and the availability. Then you have jerks online who ask for ridiculous prices and that domino's like crazy! One guy thinks that his copy of a game is worth hundreds and now EVERYONE follows suit because "If that person can, so can I". As far as I know, he has contributed to this. To suggest that he's a collector and unaware of his effect on the hobby is just not possible imo.

You know, it might seem tinfoil hatty of me but I also notice that he asks people to come over and talk about already rare stuff that he has /no/ idea about. Most times he outright says he doesn't know much or hasn't played the game. Can't tell you much about any of it. Call me crazy, sure, but there's a BIG difference beytween one of us to make a video of out "Top ten weird games" or "Sleeper hits" or whatever, the average joe with nothing to gain and then there's the guy with friends who own game stores and giant collections who could profit from said inflation. Just something that doesn't sit right with me.

One of the points of discussion is exactly that, the fact many of these people that tend to "put the community first" and over reiterate their love and passion for the community and the hobby actually treat video games as a business first and a hobby second. In MJR's case, he does in fact know a lot of people where video games are more a business than anything else, regardless of whatever façade they try to put on. While I agree it may seem like a tinfoil hat theory, there's some validity to it—the prospect that these videos are made with the intent of trying to create and propagate a false sense of scarcity in order to artificially inflate their value for personal gain is plausible. And this applies to other content creators, not just MJR, including, as already stated, for other hobbies. If I'm being honest, I personally don't have a problem with people treating video games (or any other hobby) as a business, but don't be two-faced about it when you're in front of the camera. Like I mentioned above, someone with a sizable audience and reach will undoubtedly create a few ripples. If it weren't for how shady and phony MJR is, I honestly wouldn't put much thought or care into this, but the guy is just another confident trickster, and a good one at that.

And ANYBODY selling Alon D'aar for anything more than $20 is out of their noggin

Anybody selling that game for $20 has their brain hanging upside down.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 08:22:02 am »
How about the fact that if you subscribe to his patreon, he'll let you know what games are in his video the day before it goes up so you can get an early start on buying up copies on ebay?

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 10:52:51 am »
How about the fact that if you subscribe to his patreon, he'll let you know what games are in his video the day before it goes up so you can get an early start on buying up copies on ebay?

Oh, that is such a lizard move. He'll probably end up selling off most of it someday in similar fashion to Classic Game Room, and make a killing from all the cheap stuff he bought (or was donated) that's now worth a small fortune. Speaking of Mark, why is it that when he reviewed obscure old games, they didn't automatically shoot up in price?

pzeke

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:20 am »
Oh, that is such a lizard move. He'll probably end up selling off most of it someday in similar fashion to Classic Game Room, and make a killing from all the cheap stuff he bought (or was donated) that's now worth a small fortune. Speaking of Mark, why is it that when he reviewed obscure old games, they didn't automatically shoot up in price?

That's quite the green-eyed comment, if I've ever seen one.

Also, comparing Mark with MJR is like comparing apples and oranges.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 05:25:14 pm »
Thats hilarious.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 05:26:38 pm »
Are there really hidden gems anymore?  We’ve had 10+ years of YouTube videos showing off these forgotten games. At this point, shouldn’t we know about every game in existence? 

Speaking of Mark, why is it that when he reviewed obscure old games, they didn't automatically shoot up in price?

I’m going to guess it was a different time. A different type of collector was out there and there were way fewer.
Now there’s a ton of folks trying to grab these “hidden gems”. And a lot are trying to snag them before they go up in value. When they do that it unfortunately drives up the value. It’s a weird place, this world.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:37:02 pm by turf »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 05:40:02 pm »
Thats hilarious.

I didn't even know this. He knows his audience.

dhaabi

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 05:41:28 pm »

Being completely neutral on the topic, MJR doesn't market his Patreon as such. This Patreon reward gives early access to all of his upcoming videos, which is commonplace among YouTube creators who set up a Patreon plan.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 10:52:41 pm »
I worry about retro games getting sucked up and out of stock everywhere because of the amount of collectors out there keeping them, especially with the ones that buy the same game multiple times.
I own a lot of what I consider Hidden Gems, I've gotten a lot of games.

I just am hopeful I never need to sell my collection because I know I'll probably never see them again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:55:28 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 11:17:05 pm »
Are there really hidden gems anymore?  We’ve had 10+ years of YouTube videos showing off these forgotten games. At this point, shouldn’t we know about every game in existence?

Sure, there's still plenty to unearth.

I worry about retro games getting sucked up and out of stock everywhere because of the amount of collectors out there keeping them, especially with the ones that buy the same game multiple times.

That scenario is highly unlikely. Even with the few people I've read that have been supposedly hoarding titles like Little Samson and Mighty Final Fight for a while, just to name a few, what you're describing is just improbable.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 11:04:11 am by pzeke »

bizzarnage

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2020, 10:06:29 pm »
If I'm being honest, I personally don't have a problem with people treating video games (or any other hobby) as a business, but don't be two-faced about it when you're in front of the camera. Like I mentioned above, someone with a sizable audience and reach will undoubtedly create a few ripples. If it weren't for how shady and phony MJR is, I honestly wouldn't put much thought or care into this, but the guy is just another confident trickster, and a good one at that.

This I agree with. I feel like the overall appeal of his work is "I'm a collector like you guys! Check out this awesome stuff you might enjoy like I did!" But in reality, it's "Check this out, you guys are gonna flip and buy like $20 copies of this rando game and pretend there's only 1 in your store and throw a photo up on your stores FB page/Instagram whenever things get to slow" I prefer a little honesty. Personally, I feel like everything has room for business. I don't like the facade, as you so perfectly put it. I like the cut of your jib, friend.

That's absolutely ridiculous. This guy can afford to fly to Japan and dick around and has the means to thoroughly insure his considerably expensive library (and home) but has a patreon?? That's a whole other layer of riduclous scum.

Being completely neutral on the topic, MJR doesn't market his Patreon as such. This Patreon reward gives early access to all of his upcoming videos, which is commonplace among YouTube creators who set up a Patreon plan.

But is his content that really warrants this? Aside from being on the up and up on what to flip, are these videos you wish you had front seats to before the movie's in theatres? Seems a little excessive and as stated by many others, he clearly knows his audience.

Idunno, guys. On one hand, a guy's gotta eat. But I guess it's just the fact that the guy doing this so clearly seems passionless on all these things he talks about. It's not so much that it's cringy, it just sucks as a collector that this is all it takes to gum up the works.
Do I look like I celebrate Festivus? 依ヴど疫 ヺ び慰

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 10:45:53 am »
But is his content that really warrants this? Aside from being on the up and up on what to flip, are these videos you wish you had front seats to before the movie's in theatres? Seems a little excessive and as stated by many others, he clearly knows his audience.

You can make this argument about pretty much any creator and their Patreon where early access is the reward - which is a lot of them.

pzeke

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 09:43:17 am »
That is true, but there are content creators out there that are actually worth watching and maybe even spending a buck or two on, as opposed to MJR and its ilk who only do the bare minimum...and that's being generous. Granted, I personally wouldn't spend a dime on anyone's Patreon, just making a general statement, which is what I think bizzarnage was trying to get at.