Author Topic: The Doom Series Remake Topic  (Read 1482 times)

The Doom Series Remake Topic
« on: November 11, 2020, 10:16:17 pm »
First off there might be an error on my end I could not necrobumb this topic for some reason, Not sure why it's still listed in the forum, unless the rules have changed I don't know. but it was a topic created in 2013 so maybe that is why?

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,3529.msg36512.html#msg36512

In case you never heard of or played any DOOM video game, the entire Doom Series is First Person Shooters originally on PC, and it was revolutionary for 1993. it's a game series where you are a soldier and you fight bad guys/demons all by yourself, it's not like Call Of Duty since you don't have any help shooting the bad guys.

Anyway, I been playing Doom BFG edition lately. And I think it's an awesome video game so far. But? damn I never played a game with a campaign this long in my entire life! and I highly recommend this version of DOOM 3. If you already have all or most of the DOOM games On the PC. I recommend playing the first campaign of Doom 3 BFG edition first because, to me that is how the game series story makes the most sense.

Doom 3 BFG edition had to have been a LONG game to design because every room is different. absolutely nothing in the first campaign is copied and pasted from other parts of the game. 12h 25m according to google is the average time for players to finish the 1st campaign on PC. If you like old first person shooters that you go rouge on, than I highly recommend the Doom series, but don't expects anything like Call Of Duty or Battlefield or Medal Of Honor. In doom you have no combat assistance in this game.

(STORY TO GO BY BEFORE PLAYING)
https://steamcommunity.com/app/208200/discussions/0/485624040225023299/

1:Doom 3
2:Doom 3 Resurrection Of Evil
3:Doom 3 Lost Missions
4:Ultimate DOOM I
5:Doom 2
6:Doom 2 No Rest for The Living
7:Final Doom Plutonia Experment (first)
8:FInal Doom TNT (Second)
9:Doom 64.

Not sure where Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal fits in though

This thread is about everything Doom Related, open discussion of the console games is also welcomed
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:37:50 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: The Doom Series Remake Topic
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:44:57 pm »
While I think I played Doom at some point in the 90's/early 00's, I don't really remember that too much as by the time I got into shooters, it was 3D ones on the PS1/N64 and eventually PC come 2000, but I did play and generally like Doom 3 for what it was at the time, though I absolutely had the duct tape mod.  After that years later was Doom 2016, which I was actually not super interested in initially.  By that point, I wasn't really into the more arcade based, enemies swarming you, type of shooters.  At this point I'm more about Battlefield and more realistic handling weapons for the most part.  I ended up really digging the game though, it was really solid, the music is badass, and overall had fun with it.

Doom Eternal is more of a mixed bag.  In some ways, it's a lot better, I love the new gear and mobility options, the hub space castle is really cool, and I liked most of the story going on  The negative is that I think the gameplay loop makes the game less fun, rather than just picking up armor, health, and ammo as you want, tackling it with whatever weapons you'd like, you now have to play ultra-aggressively, you have to use specific weapons on specific enemies to take them down at a good pace, and the kinda more explorable maps seemed like a good idea, but made the levels really boring compared to the more intricate level designs we got with the first game, which made finding secrets much more rewarding.  It's not a bad game at all, but I hope for the next Doom they kinda take things back abit to what they were doing

Oh and I own Doom 64 with the PC release of it, I just haven't put more than like an hour and a half into it.  It's alright though, but easy to get lost in.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 12:37:00 pm »
I just beat the Doom 3 BFG edition's 1st campaign and I thought it was fun, except for the Guardian. In which is a boss fight that you need to first shoot flying targets, and only can defeat him is to aim at him while he flashes once all of his surrounding  flying minions are defeated, and if you don't kill all them fast enough, they keep on respawning, making the boss invincible

now I am onto the vary beginning of the 2nd campaign "Resurrection of Evil" where I'm stuck on a boss. He is Invincible to all gun fire also. But this time I need to catch green energy balls in thin air as they fire. and try to aim it back on a moving boss target. it's the only way to beat him  with the boss constantly attacking me. I don't know how to explain it. But it plays like a stupid mini game. And I thought the first invincible boss in the first campaign was bad. balls of energy shoot off every 5 seconds on either side of the boss I need to catch them and aim them correctly all the while the boss is moving all over the place. and constantly attacking me. WTF

I'll get past it eventually but it really sucks
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:44:32 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 06:44:15 pm »
How I'd rank the Doom games. Given, there are a few I haven't beat in nearly 20s years, but at least from memory this is how they'd rank for me personally:

1. Doom (2016)
2. Doom
3. Doom 2
4. Doom Eternal
5. Doom 3
6. Doom 64

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:12:46 pm »
DOOM 2016 and Eternal take place after 64 as at the end of it Doom Guy stayed in hell. Then (no spoilers) in the future 2016 and Eternal fit in.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 07:35:04 pm »
DOOM 2016 and Eternal take place after 64 as at the end of it Doom Guy stayed in hell. Then (no spoilers) in the future 2016 and Eternal fit in.

Thanks for letting me know, because I was eventually going to get those games as well, I personally think the doom story is enjoyable, it gives you something to go by thank again
@kypherion :)

I always enjoyed a story in first person shooters even though a lot of people don't care

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 07:58:18 pm »
DOOM COLLECTORS EDITION CD ON PC/WINDOWS

https://www.amazon.com/Doom-Collectors-Ultimate-Trilogy/dp/B00OQYCA1I

I recommend taking off the WAD files off This Disc for all the original Doom games. rather than the "Doom 3 BFG Edition" game version of it. Or the Steam version of it

Doom Collectors Edition will install just fine on Windows 10 or Windows 7. but it does not play on Windows 7 or Windows 10 without out running the game with Zdoom or Zandronum engine, you need to install the Zandronum from this link

https://zandronum.com/

The biggest problam with the Steam version of Ultimate Doom and Doom II is the graphics look like crap, it's vary blurry

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:01:08 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 02:51:29 pm »
Why is this .wad better than Ultimate Doom on Steam?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 06:15:50 pm »
Why is this .wad better than Ultimate Doom on Steam?

I have purchased Ultimate Doom and Doom II on Steam and all I know is when I run the game the graphics are blurry, 2nd I'm not even sure if the one I have on steam has the WAD file.

since mine on Steam appears to be the original MS/DOS port. instead of the Doom 95 port. And The BFG edition has one of the levels impossible to beat. Episode 4 level 10 the secret level.  has a pillar in front of one of the switches in order to beat that one level.

and in the Doom 95 port aka the .WAD file let's you beat all the levels without that stupid pillar death trap in EP4 L10. The the Doom 3 BFG EDition has.

NO APPS NEEDED

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 09:20:10 am »
I got into Doom when I was in college. I played the hell (pun intended) out of Doom and Doom II. I also got Final Doom and I think I finished that too, but I don’t remember much about it.

I was excited enough when Doom 3 came out on Xbox that I got the collector’s edition...then I hated the game. IMHO, Doom 3 just isn’t Doom at all; it’s slow, dark, and too serious. I know some people like it, but I tried starting over multiple times and kept getting so bored within the first 2 levels I turned it off.

Doom 2016 was a wonderful return to form. I haven’t played Doom Eternal yet, but I can’t help feeling cautious about getting it based on the complaints I’ve read about the more frustrating action, having to use specific weapons on certain enemies. I don’t mind platforming, though.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 09:53:53 am »
I got into Doom when I was in college. I played the hell (pun intended) out of Doom and Doom II. I also got Final Doom and I think I finished that too, but I don’t remember much about it.

I was excited enough when Doom 3 came out on Xbox that I got the collector’s edition...then I hated the game. IMHO, Doom 3 just isn’t Doom at all; it’s slow, dark, and too serious. I know some people like it, but I tried starting over multiple times and kept getting so bored within the first 2 levels I turned it off.

Doom 2016 was a wonderful return to form. I haven’t played Doom Eternal yet, but I can’t help feeling cautious about getting it based on the complaints I’ve read about the more frustrating action, having to use specific weapons on certain enemies. I don’t mind platforming, though.

Final Doom from what I hear was actually a Doom fan made  game I heard, I am playing through Finial Doom (The Plutonia Experiment ) now, Final Doom's levels in my opinion are better levels then Doom II. Final Doom is actually 2 games in  one, it comes with 2 parts part 1 (The Platunia Experiment) and  part 2 (TNT) each part has 32 levels, and their quite challenging. I recommend Finial Doom to those who enjoyed the Ultimate Doom because the levels are great quality, I often found Doom II levels to be kind of bland.

As fpr Doom 3 it's really a more complicated FPS game, I have the BFG edition with the improved Doom 3 Campaign graphics. If you want to successfully complete Doom 3 then everyone needs to read and listen to the some of the data logs that you pick up through the campaign, to unlock storage containers containing weapons and health, each storage locker has a digital code and you need to surf though your in game data like an RPG to find all the hidden combinations for the storage lockers. but pretty much all your weapons are weak in Doom 3 and the Doom Guy in Doom 3 takes a long time to reload just like he don't give a crap even if he is getting killed by enemies, The reload weapons process is too slow in Doom 3.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:55:40 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 05:14:39 pm »
I need to ask what  What PC Windows 10 graphics/video card do you think would work the best for "Doom 2016" and Doom Eternal

All I have is Intel HD Graphics not an actual dedicated video card for my current PC. however I can still play mostly all my games with integrated Graphics including games like Doom 3 BFG edition I have a small motherboard not sure what kind, but the only cards I can connect to my system is the cards that will accept the littlest part of a card connector.

I do have the minimum requirement of 8gb of DDR 3 RAM

Intel(R) HD Graphics

Driver Version: 20.19.15.4624
Operating System: Windows* 10 Pro (10.0.19041)
Default Language: English (United States)
Physical Memory: 8082 MB
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 0402
Device Revision: 06
Video BIOS: 2176.0
Current Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3250 @ 3.20GHz
Processor Speed: 3193 MHz
Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Shader Version: 5.0
OpenGL* Version: 4.3
OpenCL* Version: 1.2
* Microsoft DirectX* *
Runtime Version: 12.0
Hardware-Supported Version: 11.1
* Devices connected to the Graphics Accelerator *
Active Displays: 1
* Digital Television *
Display Type: Digital
DDC2 Protocol: Supported
Gamma: 2.2
Connector Type: HDMI
Device Type: Digital Television

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:23:33 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 05:42:54 pm »
I need to ask what  What PC Windows 10 graphics/video card do you think would work the best for "Doom 2016" and Doom Eternal

All I have is Intel HD Graphics not an actual dedicated video card for my current PC. however I can still play mostly all my games with integrated Graphics including games like Doom 3 BFG edition I have a small motherboard not sure what kind, but the only cards I can connect to my system is the cards that will accept the littlest part of a card connector.

You don't need anything too crazy for the new Doom's, I've got a 6gb GTX 1060 and can play them pretty well, but it doesn't sound like you'll be able to upgrade your PC if your motherboard doesn't support a full size card and that you are still using integrated graphics, your system is probably fairly older.  The more tech savvy crowd here could help you out with that, but it sounds to me like you'll need to get a new system.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 09:07:11 pm »

You don't need anything too crazy for the new Doom's, I've got a 6gb GTX 1060 and can play them pretty well, but it doesn't sound like you'll be able to upgrade your PC if your motherboard doesn't support a full size card and that you are still using integrated graphics, your system is probably fairly older.  The more tech savvy crowd here could help you out with that, but it sounds to me like you'll need to get a new system.

thanks for the information, :) yea my PC is older, I got it brand new in 2014 around this time of the year. it will play actually play most PC games vary smoothly games. even the HD games like 2013 Doom 3 BFG Edition since I got a decent amount of RAM still and almost no apps on my PC. I might be able to get a RAM upgrade if I don't already have another stick of RAM in my motherboard.

my family say that my integrated graphics is better than most of the late 2000's and early 2010's video card which is why my family never installed an older video card in my PC
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:13:28 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED