Author Topic: Super Smash Bros  (Read 4646 times)

Super Smash Bros
« on: December 11, 2020, 06:29:03 am »
New thread time with Sephiroth getting announced for Smash Bros.  Comes out this month, I heard he is getting his big gameplay reveal video on the 17th, so good chance he's released that day or right before Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJo25Dtglbo

Super awesome, the game needed more villains added for sure, and he is a very notable one to add, especially with the FF7 Remake out this year, so it's just perfect.

That being said, who should fill the last three spots of this pack? It could be the last one, we don't know, but as it is, there are three slots left.  Who should we think needs to be in? With Monster Hunter Rise out next year, I think Monster Hunter is a must.  I mean there is a stage and a Rathalos in the game already, get a Hunter in there! The alts could be 2 or 3 armor sets with both male and female versions.    Move set would be all the weapon sets, and I would have the Final Smash be the people hit into an arena and getting cracked by the Dragonator, or maybe sent to an area to get attacked by some big beast like Rathalos, Zinogre, or some Elder Dragon.

The next character I would say should capitalize on the Zelda hype next year, it's the 35th anniversary, so alongside what I hope will be Breath of the Wild 2 and maybe another Zelda release early to mid year, I think we could always use another Zelda character.  I'm personally supporting Urbosa, she's been a favorite of mine since BOTW came out and think she could have a pretty fun moveset even as just another sword character, but also having a lightning magic moveset.  Her Final Smash would be the Divine Beasts joining together for the big blast towards the end of BOTW.  If not, then Midna if we want to pick out another standout character of the series, and who truly makes Twilight Princess great.  I think she could be a real fun character with a more unique moveset and they can adapt ideas we saw in Hyrule Warriors in terms of a moveset.  Her Final Smash would be her turning to her true form, transporting someone to the twilight realm, and getting hit with a big magic attack.

And as Pzeke brought up in the Game Awards thread, I think the final spot of this pack, whether it is the last one or not, should be Crash Bandicoot.  Smash is very much about representing gaming history, and I feel like a mascot character like Crash, even if he's not one anymore under the Activision banner, would be awesome.  Goofy moveset, I can imagine him using his jetpack for his boost jump, maybe one of his alternates could be classic polygon Crash.  Like Crash isn't the biggest deal anymore, but I have some definite nostalgia for him, he was the original game I played on PS1 as a kid at a little card shop in my small town, and while he isn't Banjo-Kazooie level of hype, I would love to see him return, especially after his big revival with the remake collection and the brand new game, which I need to pick up some day.

Other possibilities that I think would be fun, would be Geno, which would count as both Nintendo/Square Enix representation, Robotnik from Sonic, because he's another iconic classic villain and Sega could definitely use more rep here, and being a Nintendo property and was one of the games that made the first year of the Switch so good, I would love to see Rex with Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade 2 show up.  I think something cool would be that Pyra/Mythra would act like Pokemon Trainer in the background, tethered to Rex, only interacting in special moves or the final Smash.

So what do you folks want to see?

Re: Super Smash Bros
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 10:22:18 am »
Give me Rayman or Crash and I'll be happy. That said I already got my dream character as part of pass 1 (Banjo Kazooie) so I wouldn't be upset if we didn't get the limbless lad or bandicoot boy included.

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 02:03:44 pm »
Give me Rayman or Crash and I'll be happy.

Those two fit the game more than Steve or even Sephiroth, so I'm still quite surprised that they haven't been included yet. Of the two I think Crash should've been part of the roster by now.

It's cool to see Sephiroth either way - that's now another amiibo to add to the list.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

soera

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 03:17:43 pm »
Sigh, thought I was done with amiibo. Sephiroth is right up my alley though for my collection and Ill definitely get him.

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 03:42:06 pm »
So far I haven't been inclined to buy Fighters Pass 2 and it looks like it will continue to be that way.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 03:57:13 pm »
So far I haven't been inclined to buy Fighters Pass 2 and it looks like it will continue to be that way.

Sephiroth has been the only one to interest me so far, though Min Min is a fun choice, but I probably won't buy the whole pack unless all three of the last ones nail something I like.

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 07:13:52 pm »
I heard a weird thunder the other day and I found out it was the raucous applause of millions of weebs clapping in their parent's basements over the announcement of Sephiroth for Smash.  :P

Now I totally get his inclusion and in fact figured they would have included him sooner. I was honestly expecting something from Squeenix or another Fire Emblem character, at the outlier maybe a Monster Hunter character. Whoever it was going to be, I was bracing for disappointment.

As for the final three roster spots, I'd like to see Bomberman upgraded to full character and not just a cameo. Shantae and Shovel Knight would round out my trio. As for Crash, I'm not opposed to his inclusion but he's basically under the rule of Activision and I'd hate to see them get any kind of compensation/royalty from his inclusion (maybe if Kotick were ousted I'd be more open to his inclusion).

Robotnik/Eggman, Tron Bonne w/Servbots and Linkle from Hyrule Warriors would all make great additions. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more Namco love but I can't think of any characters they could add.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 08:13:54 pm »
I heard a weird thunder the other day and I found out it was the raucous applause of millions of weebs clapping in their parent's basements over the announcement of Sephiroth for Smash.  :P

Now I totally get his inclusion and in fact figured they would have included him sooner. I was honestly expecting something from Squeenix or another Fire Emblem character, at the outlier maybe a Monster Hunter character. Whoever it was going to be, I was bracing for disappointment.

As for the final three roster spots, I'd like to see Bomberman upgraded to full character and not just a cameo. Shantae and Shovel Knight would round out my trio. As for Crash, I'm not opposed to his inclusion but he's basically under the rule of Activision and I'd hate to see them get any kind of compensation/royalty from his inclusion (maybe if Kotick were ousted I'd be more open to his inclusion).

Robotnik/Eggman, Tron Bonne w/Servbots and Linkle from Hyrule Warriors would all make great additions. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more Namco love but I can't think of any characters they could add.

Linkle is actually one of my top character picks I'd love to see happen, I just rarely bring her up, because she's not an official character, being made for the Hyrule Warriors game, so I think she'll be absolutely overlooked by numerous other characters from the Zelda series that are more popular in general such as Urbosa, Midna, Skull Kid, any other BOTW champion, and some villains from the mainline games.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 09:17:55 pm »
id love to see sora, or paper mario,

bizzarnage

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 11:58:02 pm »
*Stereotypically unpopular opinion alert*

I absolutely cannot stand FF7 and only own the games because my SO's like them. But me personally, I can't stand the game or it's characters and I see Sephiroth as an utterly wasted slot especially if it's with the intentions of having a FF character. Could've done far better. As for villains,

Majora's masked deku kid
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Mr. L
Bald Bull
King Hippo
Darkrai
Gengar
Sagat
Dracula
Bass
Sho Minamoto

All viable options. Would've been better than swordy mc shirtless. I won't ramble off any more than this
Do I look like I celebrate Festivus? 依ヴど疫 ヺ び慰

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 11:59:41 pm »
[...] I wouldn't mind seeing a little more Namco love but I can't think of any characters they could add.

How about some more of their classic characters like Valkyrie, Wagan, or even Mappy? There's also Wonder Momo, or Hiromi from Burning Force. Heck, KOS-MOS has already appeared in other games outside of Xenosaga. Perhaps someone from the Tales of series, which incidentally if Namco had been the one to come up with the Super Smash concept, Tales of would pretty much equate to Fire Emblem. They could also share a Soulcalibur or Tekken fighter since there's plenty to choose from. I obviously can't leave Namco's second mascot Klonoa out of this list. And there's also Reiko Nagase for the shits and giggles.

My point is they're like Nintendo, so they have a bunch of characters to choose from. If I'm being honest, I'm amazed that the roster isn't flooded with more Namco representation seeing as they're developing the game.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 12:48:49 am »
*Stereotypically unpopular opinion alert*

I absolutely cannot stand FF7 and only own the games because my SO's like them. But me personally, I can't stand the game or it's characters and I see Sephiroth as an utterly wasted slot especially if it's with the intentions of having a FF character. Could've done far better. As for villains,

Majora's masked deku kid
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Mr. L
Bald Bull
King Hippo
Darkrai
Gengar
Sagat
Dracula
Bass
Sho Minamoto

All viable options. Would've been better than swordy mc shirtless. I won't ramble off any more than this

Even if you aren't a FF7 fan, it makes a whole ton of sense to have Sephiroth.  We need more villains, more Final Fantasy representation is good, Cloud is there, so we got our hero and villain pair.  Comparing him to that list, Sephiroth is absolutely more standout than pretty much any character on the list, with the one exception being Eggman I feel.  He's not nearly as popular as Sephiroth, but he's very recognizable and been in countless forms of Sonic media for decades, and Sonic could definitely use more rep in the game after all these years.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 05:45:52 am »
It's interesting how they have chosen sepiroth over Sora, not to mention a character from ones again FF VII.

Seems like Disney really didnt want Sora in smash.

Don't get me wrong sepiroth is a cool character, but it wasnt even a top 50 char pick. sora was a top 5 pick and sakurai even said he wanted sora in smash last year.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 09:40:38 am »
Sephiroth has been screwing up with the video gaming multiverse since Kingdom Hearts, and not satisfied with what he did in FFVIIR, he decided to jump into Smash just to make Cloud's life a living hell once again. That's commitment right there.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 12:32:20 pm »
Master Chief
Ryo Hazuki
Garalt

Probably only one of those might actually make it at some point, but hey, I can dream :p