Author Topic: How Do You Feel About The High Physical Demand For Game Collecting?  (Read 1769 times)

I'm vary angry, because they stopped producing (no need for internet connection) retro games, and the cold hard fact that the supply I think will eventually be taken up quickly. People are smart since physical copies are now a thing in the past. Now for the most part game discs are just a license to play, instead of a game you can go back and play 20 years later. after you bought it. and the fact that none seem to care. Until let say something happens to our. stuff like if a house fire or a flood or a theft we may never see those games again

I know there is the Nintendo Switch with SD cards/cartridges but the system is more like a handheld then a powerful game console as far as I can tell.

One of the games with I think will be unavailable shortly if not already.

how many units sold of Conker's Bad Fur Day (according to google)

23,000 units (regions unspecified)
Sources close to Nintendo have told IGN64 that Rare's M-rated 3D platformer Conker's Bad Fur Day has sold impressively under expectations. The game, which released on March 5, debuted with slightly more than 23,000 units sold -- a laughable unveiling by Nintendo standards -- and quickly dropped off the list. Apr 6, 2001 data inquiry

Why is Conker's bad fur day so expensive?!

Because it's a classic N64 game and they haven't produced N64 games in like 15+ years so... High demand, low supply drives the price up. It came out pretty late in the N64's lifecycle, so not a lot of people picked it up back then. Apr 27, 2019 data inquiry

I'll tell you what I buy lots of Music CD's brand new and I'm thankful that movies and Music is still a thing being produced today on music CDs and and movie Blu-rays
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:22:08 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

BinaryMessiah

Re: How Do You Feel About The High Physical Demand For Game Collecting?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 10:14:40 pm »
It's annoying for sure. Right now there's a boom in collecting because of COVID and people were so bored they took to collecting retro stuff, especially games. Right now prices are through the roof and I haven't bought a single retro game in the last year. I just recently started collecting again as some platforms have leveled out again, like Game Gear, but I feel physical games will eventually go by the wayside.

It's just part of the times and part of technology evolving. I will always collect physical when I can, but I know one day that won't be possible anymore for the newest systems. It's disappointing, but I'm also not mad. I have my collection of older games that make me happy and I have my slice of video game history. Thanks to us, however, history is being preserved. Lots of people are restoring systems, and the more games end up on shelves in a home the less likely they will end up thrown around in a Goodwill or rotting in someone's basement.

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 11:37:00 pm »
Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) sold about 530,000 copies in North America. That should make very common and not rare.
https://www.vgchartz.com/game/395/conkers-bad-fur-day/?region=America

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:21:46 am »
I'm vary angry, because they stopped producing (no need for internet connection) retro games, and the cold hard fact that the supply I think will eventually be taken up quickly. People are smart since physical copies are now a thing in the past. Now for the most part game discs are just a license to play, instead of a game you can go back and play 20 years later. after you bought it. and the fact that none seem to care. Until let say something happens to our. stuff like if a house fire or a flood or a theft we may never see those games again

I know there is the Nintendo Switch with SD cards/cartridges but the system is more like a handheld then a powerful game console as far as I can tell.

One of the games with I think will be unavailable shortly if not already.

how many units sold of Conker's Bad Fur Day (according to google)

23,000 units (regions unspecified)
Sources close to Nintendo have told IGN64 that Rare's M-rated 3D platformer Conker's Bad Fur Day has sold impressively under expectations. The game, which released on March 5, debuted with slightly more than 23,000 units sold -- a laughable unveiling by Nintendo standards -- and quickly dropped off the list. Apr 6, 2001 data inquiry

Why is Conker's bad fur day so expensive?!

Because it's a classic N64 game and they haven't produced N64 games in like 15+ years so... High demand, low supply drives the price up. It came out pretty late in the N64's lifecycle, so not a lot of people picked it up back then. Apr 27, 2019 data inquiry

I'll tell you what I buy lots of Music CD's brand new and I'm thankful that movies and Music is still a thing being produced today on music CDs and and movie Blu-rays

you can also just get conkers live & reloaded on xbox. way cheaper

Original, better grapics and an extra conkers game wich is pretty decent aswell. you don't need to buy the n64 version. the censorship is a thing but it's not that notable.

Also where talking N64 any modern console can run conkers easily. not to mention the 3ds is far less powerfull than a switch and that ran N64 games with improved grapics.

Don't get that excuse of a modern console being to weak to play old games. not to mention controllerwise you have more options than ever on switch. N64 controllers are not known for being great. Better to use a gameucube or pro controller instead.

Still emulation and everdrives have been more accesble than ever. and with legit ways. more and more devs see value in old games bringing out collection or mini consoles.
Your not forced to go original. Heck there are so many advantages nowadays for not going original and that includes saving a ***** ton of money.

Also pro tip don't always look at the literal peak of sought after stuff naturally prices will be sky high than.
Look around for games that people care less aboutwich is pretty easy especially compared to stuff like conkers bad fur day wich is one of the few games with to much hype surrounding it. Kinda like earthbound.

It's far from the best title on the system really. Looking at the most hyped stuff with sky high prices won't do any good if the price is to high just move on to something else complaining about high prices won't do anything.

Also thanks to sky high prices acces to old era content is getting easier and easier let alone the improved options to play them on modern displayes. You've got to look at things from the bright side. if prices where low all these options that we had now where probably garbage in comparison because not many people cared about it.

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) sold about 530,000 copies in North America. That should make very common and not rare.
https://www.vgchartz.com/game/395/conkers-bad-fur-day/?region=America

Rarity depends on the size of the market. in comparison to allot of sought after N64 games it's low. still conkers bad fur day especially pre corona times never had a price like an actual rare game. Cart was only 50 or 60$ wich is just pretty uncommon. actual rare games sold for a hell lot more. eartbound sold 140K copies in the US wich is 25% of the supply of conkers. simular hype lvl's and over double the price for a lose cardridge.

In europe conkers was actually a bit rare and the price reflected on that. cardridges only even pre corona times have always been 100 + or well above in europe.

If you where to have those numbers in say GI joe toys than yes prices would be low. but there are allot more people that collect nintendo games. you can't compare the quantity of one market to another. In allot of collectible markets having more than 1000 or even 100 copies makes it already common simply because the market is far smaller.

Supply and demand. Still videogames have always been on quite a big scale plus allot of names still being active in the present era it's not to farfetched to see how allot of people want to relive their past. you'll never get those numbers in say figurine collecting, model kits board games model trains toy cars you name it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 09:04:20 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 10:49:05 am »
I feel mostly indifferent towards it now, but had this all been going on a couple years ago or before I'd be a much unhappier person. I barely collect anymore. Yes, by definition I'm still a collector, but I don't go all over the place to find good deals on retro games anymore for multiple reasons. For one, I have 98% of all the retro games I really want; fortunately I got into collecting when it was still pretty cheap and easy and was able to get most of the games I wanted for significantly less than what they were worth back then, and ridiculously less than what they sell for now. On top of that my priorities when it comes to retro games and just gaming in general have changed.

I get way more satisfaction out of playing my games now than I do acquiring new ones. Also, I've recently taken a huge interest in preserving my ability to have my games playable for the rest of my life. This has taking the form of modding, console restoration and repair, flash carts and ODE devices, and getting the best picture and sound quality out of older games. I honestly haven't been this enthusiastic about gaming in a long time and I have more projects than I have the time or money for right now that I can't wait to jump into.

As for the high demand on newer consoles and games go, this has been slightly more frustrating for me, mostly in that I don't really feel like I have a place where I can just browse a ton of new releases and see what's out. Gamestop was that place, however their stores have more or less become useless in that what they have on the shelf no longer represents what they actually have in stock. And Target, Walmart, and Best Buy's game selection is laughable in terms of the selection. Combine that with no one being able to find a Switch, PS5, Xbox, or any of the previous gen consoles and it's hard to want to play newer games. In many ways this sort of feel like the beginning of the end for me in terms of my interest in newer games being released. I say this having recently purchased an RTX 3070 and also a PS5 last December, but more and more I feel like this will probably be the last new console generation I participate in and enjoy (as much as possible that is).

But if people want to go nuts and overpay on ebay, camp out in front of Target 3-hours before they open everyday, or get caught up in the other insane demand generated by COVID and stimulus money than by all means they can. I'm just happy I feel comfortable not being part of the mob and instead have other hobbies and interests within gaming that have mostly gone unfettered by the current gaming climate.

I just wonder if the combination of stimulus money inflating the prices so wildly is going to eventually result in a massive crash once things "return to normal" again. I have to assume that many people who otherwise wouldn't be buying these games and consoles will probably be selling them off once they're able to return to their pre-Covid activities. Before COVID started prices on most consoles had begun to decline or plateau, and I feel like a massive influx of sellers could sharpen the natural declines that were previous occuring. Who knows, but I'm curious to see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:59:00 am by bikingjahuty »

telekill

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:16:51 am »
I'm frustrated by it and I'm not even a huge collector. I basically am working on wrapping up my Game Gear collection and then my retro collection will basically be what I already bought. The frustrating part for me is the prices skyrocketing. I'm not trying to complete a full collection either... just snagging the games I remember really enjoying as a kid.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 03:36:36 pm »
I'm frustrated by it and I'm not even a huge collector. I basically am working on wrapping up my Game Gear collection and then my retro collection will basically be what I already bought. The frustrating part for me is the prices skyrocketing. I'm not trying to complete a full collection either... just snagging the games I remember really enjoying as a kid.

My fiancee and i were talking about anniversary gifts for later this month and we give each other wishlists of things we want. There are always some retro games on there, however this year I nearly pulled all of them. My fiancee was looking at Die Hard Arcade and was like, "umm, are you sure you want this?" and I was like why? The price on it has nearly doubled since last year with it now going consistently between $120 and $150 complete. I told her to forget it since as bad as I want that game it's certainly not worth that kind of money to me. Same story with several other retro games I still really want. I'll probably just hold off until this whole insane price hike dies (if it ever does) and acquire those things then.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 11:06:10 pm »
I've complained for many years, but I'm not so bothered by it anymore. Games with crazy high prices I just say to heck with them. If it's under $100, I can do it. Because for one, I don't want to own every game. I'm usually interested in about 25 - 30% of most console libraries. It also doesn't really make sense to complain that a retro game is $60 so it's "too expensive", when we're perfectly fine paying that for a brand new release that we want.

I'm not going to act like that isn't pricey, but most of these games were valued with an MSRP of $40 - $60 back in their day. So as collectors, why do we complain when we can't get them for a fraction of that price? Likely because we were spoiled in an era where people literally gave them away to us thinking they were "obsolete" and no good. But we knew we were getting a steal. I get just as much satisfaction playing an old game, as a new one.

I've recently gotten back in to SNES collecting, and it's not actually too terrible. Granted there's a dozen interesting games I'll never buy because of their price, but I've compiled a wish-list of games that are all entirely affordable over time, 98% of them well under $100. I just enjoy it. I'm gonna keep riding it out and amassing these hunks of plastic, because they put as smile on my face.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 11:07:41 pm by Warmsignal »

mrkonasoni

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 12:04:40 am »
Yeah I am struggling with the idea I will never get some special games for me, because a person is requesting an unforgiving price for it.

Maybe some of the oldest companies would have bite the bullet and make more and better retro packages with old games for people like me that don't want to put the past to rest.

Anyway, while I am sad about the subject, I prefer to let it go, since I am kinda old now, I just want to rest in bed while playing multiple games using homebrew, anyway.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 12:15:42 am »
Loose is way easier than compete in box, and I don't need even more cardboard in my house,

One good thing I can say about a recent purchase of a fake or repo Mario Kart 64 is that it's clean, it's new, and it works, so far no issues. I love it. and I only paid about $30 USD for this cartridge. And I am satisficed I can play it finally play it and on the official hardware. Some of my older real copies are ugly and faded and with a half rusted cartridge tip. and they don't even boot up right away, But this fake game I bought turns right on. and it fits more snug then real Nintendo 64 cartridges giving it less wiggle room and could I think has a stronger signal then my old rusted cartridge tip old/real Nintendo 64 cartridges.

I also purchased a red NES 450 in one Multi-cart from Esty back in 2016  it is advertised as 500 games but 50 of them are repeats, this game cartridge has 8 different contra game with entirely new levels each and with a level select screen and even custom weapon select screen before starting up some single or 2 player action. they no longer sell this same cartridge anymore but it's on sites like eBay but vary hard to find today

Sometimes we need to settle for  fake game cartridges as long as they work. Yes I'm aware that there sometimes is a dip in quality but what are you gonna do?  We all have the right to spend our money differently.

(Edit) I have mood swings so bare with me. on the OP I was having a bad day thinking negitive,
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:24:19 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 08:34:23 pm »
How Do You Feel About The High Physical Demand For Game Collecting?

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 08:19:06 am »
I've got everything that i really wanted already. all the extra stuff is just a bonus. even if collecting was superbly cheap nowadays I'd do it less since I have the games that I really wanted. although I'd probably go hardcore for japanese exclusive games aswell.

If I started to collect today I'd probably just stick with a small collection and emulation. wouldn't be as hardcore collecting wise like I was in the past. because it was definitely a fun hobby to find stuff for the collection in cheap deals aside from the gameplay.

Doesn't bother me to much at the end of the day if I started today I'd just enjoy everdrives with a smaller physical collection.

Still gameplay wise I feel that this is good for the scene

Emulation devices everdrives cables and such for good quality on a modern tv, repair tools/spare parts potential consoles brand new consoles that will play physical copies that will continue to improve in the next years since the demand is there.

Also Games like bloodstained curse of the moon or modern releases of blazing chrome, ninja saviors and wild guns reloaded crosscode would not have been made if the demand wasn't this high to name a few examples.

If everything was easily accesible online from the very start withouth the high prices for physical I'm not to sure if there would be a spark to even create the cool old school games that we have nowadays.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:21:42 am by sworddude »

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 03:21:41 pm »
I lost all interest in video game collecting, the demand is too high, and some people are grabbing whatever they can before it's gone completely, I knew the day would come, and there is noting I can do about it. I am kind of of uneasy knowing that I probably will never find retro deals ever again, and if my favorite games or retro consoles wear out, it does not look like I'd be able to replace them, unless I wanted to pay $1000 or more for a replacement, and modern consoles don't have a lot of the retro games.

I just hope that I won't be force to pirate games in order to play them. console games are apparently just rental now being online and everything

(edit) the video game crash as far as I'm concerned
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:25:18 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 04:05:14 pm »
I lost all interest in video game collecting, the demand is too high, and some people are grabbing whatever they can before it's gone completely, I knew the day would come, and there is noting I can do about it. I am kind of of uneasy knowing that I probably will never find retro deals ever again, and if my favorite games or retro consoles wear out, it does not look like I'd be able to replace them, unless I wanted to pay $1000 or more for a replacement, and modern consoles don't have a lot of the retro games.

I just hope that I won't be force to pirate games in order to play them. console games are apparently just rental now being online and everything

Just buy some modern era compilation games than for the more pricy stuff you don't need the og

Besides weren't you interested in older racing/ sports and WW II and FPS games you seem to have fond memories of those I'm pretty sure you'll always find good retro deals with those kinda games.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 04:40:14 pm »

Just buy some modern era compilation games than for the more pricy stuff you don't need the og

Besides weren't you interested in older racing/ sports and WW II and FPS games you seem to have fond memories of those I'm pretty sure you'll always find good retro deals with those kinda games.

yes I like older racing video games and I even have some I never even played yet, I already have most of everything I want, but I am putting more in music now since I never know when it will become digital only, in which might mean less quality sound, I spend most of my days listening to music anyway, it just bothers me that if I ever lose part or any of my current collection due to wear I may not be able to play those games again.

NO APPS NEEDED