Author Topic: Do Repo Nintendo Cartridges Have A White Cartridge Tip?  (Read 1137 times)

Do Repo Nintendo Cartridges Have A White Cartridge Tip?
« on: February 12, 2021, 09:09:15 pm »
I just bought a copy of Mario Kart 64 off amazon, and the first thing I notice is that the cartridge tip is white instead of gold colored, I assume this is a fake game since it Most original N64 games are all bought up by people that got the games at an earlier time. All I want to do is play the game, but I'll be vary upset if this possible fake N64 cartridge has issues like freezing and not working properly. The label looks real, but I highly doubt this is an original copy. and yes it was sold as an original.

The cartridge's tip is not gold it's white and shows no usage. Will this game function correctly? is all I want to know, and I hope it does not break my console
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do Repo Nintendo Cartridges Have A White Cartridge Tip?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 09:25:17 pm »
I just bought a copy of Mario Kart 64 off amazon, and the first thing I notice is that the cartridge tip is white instead of gold colored, I assume this is a fake game since it Most original N64 games are all bought up by people that got the games at an earlier time. All I want to do is play the game, but I'll be vary upset if this possible fake N64 cartridge has issues like freezing and not working properly. The label looks real, but I highly doubt this is an original copy. and yes it was sold as an original.

The cartridge's tip is not gold it's white and shows no usage. Will this game function correctly? is all I want to know, and I hope it does not break my console

you should post a pic

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 10:32:36 pm »
I did the best I could with what machine I had to take the photos with

here is the site database cartridge front

Everything about this cartridge looks real (except) for how clean and non discolored the board edge is and how the cartridge board is GREEN exposing on the back of it's input
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:41:23 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 11:11:55 pm »
Ok this game works perfectly, My gut feeling says mine is not an original but this cartridge boots up perfectly and runs the game without any lag, and I can even use my brawler controller.

Again as collectors some of us need to realize that as long as the game works correctly, it's fine keep it, chances are the fake is more likely to be better

It's a fake because it doesn't even fit the N64 slot like my other gold cartridge's games, but it's brand new and has no usage, it's extremely clean.

who cares if it's not original it works and It seems to be working just fine so far

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 12:11:34 am »
You can tell it's fake right away because the ESRB rating is the old one that says +6 at the bottom. This was only used in 1995 and beforehand, so no N64 game should have that. Fake games usually work at first, but don't be surprised if you have issues with saving or if it stops working later on. I always advocate buying flash carts instead of reproductions if you don't care about having the originals.

To answer the original question, a small number of legit N64 games (such as Ogre Battle) do have the "white cartridge tip". Mario Kart isn't one of them though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:13:22 am by raggerreadfish »

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 04:49:23 am »
You can tell it's fake right away because the ESRB rating is the old one that says +6 at the bottom. This was only used in 1995 and beforehand, so no N64 game should have that. Fake games usually work at first, but don't be surprised if you have issues with saving or if it stops working later on. I always advocate buying flash carts instead of reproductions if you don't care about having the originals.

To answer the original question, a small number of legit N64 games (such as Ogre Battle) do have the "white cartridge tip". Mario Kart isn't one of them though.

thank you for telling me, I figured it was not an original, I'll just not delete anything on it, all the data seems already unlocked.

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 07:06:51 am »

thank you for telling me, I figured it was not an original, I'll just not delete anything on it, all the data seems already unlocked.

you can also just open the cardridge?

Unless it's stuff like a megaman X3/ X2 that uses Japanase rom boards it being a fake will be obvious

If your only going to look at the lable that's not going to work overtime. allot of repro's will have the exact cardridge lable art and it's matching quality. that only works for poor repro's
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 07:29:35 am »

Unless it's stuff like a megaman X3/ X2 that uses Japanase rom boards it being a fake will be obvious

If your only going to look at the lable that's not going to work overtime. allot of repro's will have the exact cardridge lable art and it's matching quality. that only works for poor repro's

I know but I don't have the tools needed to open the cartridge, well aware of that. Also aware of people that swap out games and putting different boards in. This is obviously a ROM chip of Mario Kart 64, since I testing the game and it seems to work like it should. But I just read that if you are caught selling a game like this on Ebay you could be banned for life. I don't plan on selling it though

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 07:56:02 am »

I know but I don't have the tools needed to open the cartridge, well aware of that. Also aware of people that swap out games and putting different boards in. This is obviously a ROM chip of Mario Kart 64, since I testing the game and it seems to work like it should. But I just read that if you are caught selling a game like this on Ebay you could be banned for life. I don't plan on selling it though

It's literally 5ish$ usually I'd highly recommend you get them at the very least the two sizes in wich you can open almost any cardridge and console. It's super handy down the road. if your really that scared of repro's there is no reason to not own it already if your in this hobby.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 11:39:41 am »

It's literally 5ish$ usually I'd highly recommend you get them at the very least the two sizes in wich you can open almost any cardridge and console. It's super handy down the road. if your really that scared of repro's there is no reason to not own it already if your in this hobby.

I appreciate your advice I think about it more, but I am really not too worried about fakes, and opening my consoles. as long as a game works I don't need to open the cartridge, but if the board is swapped than even with the tools I still won't really make that big of a difference, I'm in the hobby of playing the game more than displaying. I know I could get those kits off amazon, but I don't think it would make much difference

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 12:18:01 pm »

I appreciate your advice I think about it more, but I am really not too worried about fakes, and opening my consoles. as long as a game works I don't need to open the cartridge, but if the board is swapped than even with the tools I still won't really make that big of a difference, I'm in the hobby of playing the game more than displaying. I know I could get those kits off amazon, but I don't think it would make much difference

The difference is that an original costs far more than a repro. Your wallet will be more empty if you buy an original. so if you bought a more pricy original wich turns out to be a repro at a high price you paid to much if it really doesn't bother you than perhaps you should go to a seller that sells repro's at the super cheap prices instead. because you should not pay high original prices on reproduction games.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 01:42:35 pm »

The difference is that an original costs far more than a repro. Your wallet will be more empty if you buy an original. so if you bought a more pricy original wich turns out to be a repro at a high price you paid to much if it really doesn't bother you than perhaps you should go to a seller that sells repro's at the super cheap prices instead. because you should not pay high original prices on reproduction games.

yup completely agree with you on this statement, for the record I only payed about $30USD shipping included, for this normally this game currently goes over $60 USD plus many many people like this game.  technically I thought the sale was fair enough even. though this game was and never was advertised a repo, I see what you're saying it's robbery for someone to not tell you the game is repo and sell you it for $80-$100, and/or it was a peace of crap.

I'm sure there is some poor conditioned originals floating around somewhere, going for top dollar. as well as broken repos that are probably recovered from someone trash can, yea that would be bad

but I never bought one game in my collection for more then $60USD, This seller had the one with the best condition for the price. I would be more concerned if this game was broken even if i were an original copy. seller had 5 star review and the product was advertised like new and yea it was
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:55:43 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED