Author Topic: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?  (Read 5769 times)

telly

Re: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 01:09:05 pm »
I have a couple PS4 LRG releases that I regret purchasing, the big one is Last Blade 2, which I just purchased a few months ago. I've discovered that I just don't like fighting games that much.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 01:45:52 pm »
Never really have that. Even if I do buy something I'm disappointed in, that's what eBay is for. Turn that into money and get something else.

monkeyjam

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 02:24:13 pm »
Probably Grand Tour Racing '98, Car and Driver Presents on Playstation 1, one the worst racing games i played. I received it with my Ps1 at the time.
Collecting Xbox OG, Playstation 1 and 4, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 02:33:18 pm »
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - https://vgcollect.com/item/187415
It's not in widescreen... nope, I'm still not over it...

topspot123

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 04:04:19 pm »
My regrets are mostly about money spent, especially from buying games at full price or first markdown but still never playing them by the time they are $5-$20. I don't regret the purchase, just the circumstances.

I've told the story before, but the game I'm most regretful for overpaying for is Yoshi's Cookie on the SNES. I still can't believe I blew $60 on such a simple game, especially since I already had the Game Boy version.

But the bigger regret than all of these is the games I didn't buy when I had the chance. NES Bonk's Adventure for $40, Saturn House of the Dead for $50, TurboGrafix Magical Chase for $39.99! Too bad I didn't know then what I know now.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 06:49:31 pm »
I remember being at a Toys R Us in 2003 that still had tons of N64 stock. Like many, many copies of Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Mega Man 64 all for 10 bucks a pop. I only bought Perfect Dark, and while the other two aren't great games, you know how much people are paying for them these days????

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 09:45:24 pm »
Portal Runner for the ps2 is my most regretful item in my collection I hate this game so much I swore never to own one. But a friend who knew of my hate for this pile of garbage tricked me into excepting it as a birthday gift. By making me promised never to get rid of said gift. Now Im bound by my promise to keep it forever.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 12:36:43 am »
Dead Island.

The fantastic trailer combined with the game being made to be "Borderlands but with zombies" got me hyped up to do a day 1 purchase. Instead, I found myself disappointed as the game was boring and repetitive. You also had no sense of progression as everything respawns incredibly fast, the weapons break so quickly, and the level scaling was garbage. I can legitimately claim I had more fun playing through Monster High: New Ghoul In School than I did this game.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 11:39:43 am »
I got a tatakon for the switch this Christmas... the sensitivity is worse than I thought. I want to love it though. Might have to mod it.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 01:13:41 pm »
Dead Rising 2 High Stakes Edition.
It’s packaged in a box that’s not even sealed, with the exact same copy of the standard game inside.
I took the game out and sold it, then repurchased another copy when it dropped to $15. Not too bad I guess.

Friday the 13th autographed Kickstarter. I think it was $150. The game kept getting delayed. When the game finally shipped, the autographed portion was a cardboard slip cover that was shipped separately.

soera

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2021, 03:20:21 pm »
I dont think there is a specific one. It's mostly the giant amount of pointless games I've acquired a couple of times going for full sets. I think I've broken myself of the habit now so it won't happen again.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2021, 03:33:03 pm »
My collection is definitely pretty tight at this point, or in other words I've trimmed most of all that unecessary, "why the hell did I buy that" fat. But if I had to say what I regret buying the most it would probably be all the JRPGs I've amassed over the years. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of JRPGs I love, but I was obsessed with collecting them during the first 5 or 6 years I collected. I spent serious money on a few of them too. Sadly, I feel like my love for the genre is a fraction of what it was 20-years ago and unless it's a well known, AAA JRPG there's a good chance I'm going to get bored of it within the first 4 or 5 hours of playing, and then just never return to it. I came to this realization a few years ago and sold a ton of JRPGs I had on the PS3, PS2, PS1, DS, and several other consoles. I watched reviews on all of them before I sold them and just realized there's no way I would be able to get into them or enjoy them. I still have easily over 150 JRPGs in my collection, and to be honest I doubt I'll ever play, or at least enjoy half of them, but they're at least ones that looked interesting and fun enough to hold onto.

aliensstudios

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2021, 07:11:56 pm »
I'd say probably 1/3 of my Wii U collection. At one point I was going for a complete set but I kind of gave up on it. Fortunately, I've got all of the first-party and expensive releases, plus all of the great third-party gems, but I've also got a glut of Just Dance, Skylanders, and Dreamworks movie games that aren't worth owning unless you are going for the full set.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 07:24:52 pm »
Just thought of another regretful purchase:

Final Fantasy Chronicles (PS1)

For those who don't know, this release consists of fairly straightforward ports with minor changes to dialogue here and there of Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger. Final Fantasy IV doesn't have this issue, but Chrono Trigger for some reason has these unbearably long loading times every single time you go in and out of a new area or building AND when the game switches back and forth between the stats menu screen and the in-progress game. It's unbelievable that it got released like this, and I've never attempted to go further than the first time-hop sequence in this version, it's f***ing unplayable.

theflea

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 07:30:00 pm »
This question can be taken many ways for me.

First - Sport Games I payed a good amount for:
I am not a fan of sport games and I hate paying more then $10 for a game I know I'll never play.
I bought NCAA College Basketball 2K3 on GameCube not long ago for around $100...
Every time I see it in my collection I think "I can't believe I payed $100 for this stupid game"
But seeing it goes for well over that, I felt I had to buy it for my collection.  :P

Second - Collector's Editions:
I get suckered to buy a lot of Collector's Editions and spend as much as $200 for them. While I love the steel books and some of the items I see these giant statues and these large giant boxes that take up so much space I think later "why did I buy that" lol

Third - Games that if people see them in my collection they think I'm a perv:
I love to collect weird games, I laugh at their weirdness and love showing people the odd side of video games.
But I do have a few I think... God... Why did I buy this... this game is messed up.
I own many "Adult" games and some from Japan are just so pervy that make me cringe at their subject mater.
But the funny thing is... Most people want to see those games. lol  ::)
Thank God I'm limited to Consoles and handhelds so there's not a lot of them.
"Happy game hunting!!!"