Author Topic: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?  (Read 5767 times)

Re: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 09:07:39 pm »
Destiny for the XBOX 360 and GTA V.  Ugh, I loathe those two games.   What a waste of $60 each.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 09:23:12 pm »
I don't have a whole lot that I really regret.  I mean, I have a lot of stupid shit in my collection; but I don't regret it too bad.
I'm going to go with Star Wars Battlefront Deluxe Edition.  I paid $70 for that piece of shit.  It looked so good, but let me down big time.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2021, 09:26:25 pm »
Destiny for the XBOX 360 and GTA V.  Ugh, I loathe those two games.   What a waste of $60 each.

What don't you like about GTA5? I'm not one of those people that worships that game or plays it 24/7 online, but I did really, really like it when I played it. Just curious.

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 08:30:47 am »
For the most part I don't regret the games I buy, even ones like Fable 3 but there is one game that I do regret and that is Anubis II on the Nintendo Wii. This game is the very definition of shovel ware. Why did I buy it? Just because I needed a game to fill the spare spot in teh Wii bundle I was buying.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 08:15:19 pm »
Dead Island.

The fantastic trailer combined with the game being made to be "Borderlands but with zombies" got me hyped up to do a day 1 purchase. Instead, I found myself disappointed as the game was boring and repetitive. You also had no sense of progression as everything respawns incredibly fast, the weapons break so quickly, and the level scaling was garbage. I can legitimately claim I had more fun playing through Monster High: New Ghoul In School than I did this game.

Man, one of my favorite games of the generation. Level scaling was OK, except for vehicles. That was a mess, but they did fix it in the remasters.

I don't really regret anything I've purchased, as I don't go crazy on things. However, if I could go back- I probably would skip the XB1 and PS4. I have enough games on my 360 and PS3 to last decades....so I didn't really need them.

Flashback2012

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2021, 02:47:40 pm »
I've seen a few people mention LRG games and this is definitely my go-to as well.

This damn thing. I present to you Jumanji: The Video Game - Collector's Edition...

https://vgcollect.com/item/172194

It's my own fault. I didn't do my due diligence to know that they would release it at retail in non-CE. Had I known it was going to get a regular release, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the CE (though I doubt I would have picked up the non CE unless it was like $5).

That said, I've watched videos of older games I picked up from them and couldn't fathom sometimes how they made the decision to commit them to physical release.  :P

On the other end of the spectrum is a game I do NOT regret owning (and something I paid full price for) is this...

https://vgcollect.com/item/20779

HAIL TO THE KING BABY!

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2021, 03:51:55 pm »
I tend to stay away from shitty games (I usually don’t buy a lousy game just for the sake of having it) so I don’t have too many big regrets. I also can’t really include older stuff like NES games, since even though I do own some bad ones, at that time (late 80’s-early 90’s) it was harder to know what was shit and what wasn’t.

Two games I do regret:
Twisted Metal III (PS1): TM2 was a frickin’ blast, so I hoped TMIII would be more of the same. I didn’t know at the time that it was being developed by a different studio, and the game turned out to be pathetic compared to TM2.

Double Dragon 3 (Genesis): Bought this used from Media Play in the early 2000s. Took a chance since it was pretty cheap (like $6 or something) but the game is complete garbage and isn’t even worth the small amount I paid.

sworddude

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2021, 06:28:20 pm »
Final fantasy X-2. I'm not a super huge fan of X or XII but X-2 is just on a different lvl

I'd honestly rather play sonic 06 :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:31:37 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2021, 09:30:46 pm »

What don't you like about GTA5? I'm not one of those people that worships that game or plays it 24/7 online, but I did really, really like it when I played it. Just curious.

I just couldn’t ever seem to have the same kind of fun as GTA3, VC and IV.  The wanted system is too frustrating and the story wasn’t as engaging so I just ended up shelving it and haven’t touched it since. 

mrkonasoni

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2021, 12:25:44 am »
I don't buy absolutely nothing that I don't consider a fine game when watching a trailer or gameplay.

But since I read a comment from the thread, I can agree that a lot of games I regret buying are from Limited Run Games.

It was from the time the business was starting and it was 2017 or 2018.

I certainly disliked buying some titles and after read the dissapointment and some comments in the forum.

I am surprised that I don't have nostalgia about those times when I am so attached to the past.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Warmsignal

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2021, 03:28:24 am »
I have to give myself credit in that I always do my homework before I make a purchase. I don't regret anything, really.

If I have to pick something, it would be similar to what Biking said about JRPGs. When I was more of a novice collector, I had a much greater interest in the genre and I used to seek them out. Never paid too much for them, but I ended up buying more than I'd ever want to play in reality. Not a big deal, because they're an easy sell.

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2021, 06:57:51 am »
I have to give myself credit in that I always do my homework before I make a purchase. I don't regret anything, really.

If I have to pick something, it would be similar to what Biking said about JRPGs. When I was more of a novice collector, I had a much greater interest in the genre and I used to seek them out. Never paid too much for them, but I ended up buying more than I'd ever want to play in reality. Not a big deal, because they're an easy sell.

When I was a new into collecting I mainly only bought cheaper games that I was currently interested in. Then as I grew my collection to the point I am more satisficed, I started picking up more expensive titles.

With my lucky experience with a repo game cartridge just recently. I plan on looking for more cart only repos on purpose, and buying more in the future If I can't find any originals first. because that is how impressed I am with the fake I own now

I would have gotten a real copy but those are not easy to find to my knowledge it would seem logical that originals are hard to come by, and if Nintendo still made this game and not just an online download they could  remove in the future I would have gladly purchased this game, from Nintendo. I think Nintendo should sell a few repos themselves if they don't want people copying their work
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:21:20 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2021, 10:52:15 am »

When I was a new into collecting I mainly only bought cheaper games that I was currently interested in. Then as I grew my collection to the point I am more satisficed, I started picking up more expensive titles.

With my lucky experience with a repo game cartridge just recently. I plan on looking for more cart only repos on purpose, and buying more in the future If I can't find any originals first. because that is how impressed I am with the fake I own now

I would have gotten a real copy but those are not easy to find to my knowledge it would seem logical that originals are hard to come by, and if Nintendo still made this game and not just an online download they could  remove in the future I would have gladly purchased this game, from Nintendo. I think Nintendo should sell a few repos themselves if they don't want people copying their work

you can also just buy an everdrive instead of tons of repro's

And yes repro's will work pretty nicely in wich the differences aren't that notable if actually existent. have you been living under a rock in the past 5 - 10 + years?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:34:23 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2021, 11:43:34 am »

you can also just buy an everdrive instead of tons of repro's

And yes repro's will work pretty nicely in wich the differences aren't that notable if actually existent. have you been living under a rock in the past 5 - 10 + years?

oldgamerz admit's I don't keep up with the times lol ::)

(edit) I not as that desperate to buy an everdrive
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:46:07 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2021, 08:32:17 pm »
Not really one thing but trying to keep up with early limited run ps4/vita games, i stuck around until release 150 orso after that i just got so burned out from their overload off releases each week, i bought maybe 4-5 games from them since then.
Should've known better the desire of these limited print games would fade away over time.

Regret a lot of LRG purchases... a lot.

I have a couple PS4 LRG releases that I regret purchasing, the big one is Last Blade 2, which I just purchased a few months ago.

I've seen a few people mention LRG games and this is definitely my go-to as well.

*Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Cyberpunk 2077 Collectors Edition.

I'll die with a scowl because of it.

Imagine how those people who bought the console must be feeling :D

Quite probably on par with those who bought an Ouya.

I occasionally question whether or not I really need my Virtual Boy.  Especially since it needs a resolder.

If you're not sentimentally attached to it, and you think you're not going to use it, it wouldn't hurt selling it, methinks.

But the bigger regret than all of these is the games I didn't buy when I had the chance. NES Bonk's Adventure for $40, Saturn House of the Dead for $50, TurboGrafix Magical Chase for $39.99! Too bad I didn't know then what I know now.

Hindsight is 20/20, my friend.

This question can be taken many ways for me.

Given the gargantuan amount of games you own, I reckon you'd have plenty of regrets, but given you're more of an archivist/preservationist at this point, I bet you're willing to live with more than one.

I don't buy absolutely nothing that I don't consider a fine game when watching a trailer or gameplay. But since I read a comment from the thread, I can agree that a lot of games I regret buying are from Limited Run Games. It was from the time the business was starting and it was 2017 or 2018. I certainly disliked buying some titles and after read the dissapointment and some comments in the forum. I am surprised that I don't have nostalgia about those times when I am so attached to the past.

Well, at least you took that as a learning experience. Truth be told, though, I might break my own rule and end up getting Scott Pilgrim—I really want that damn game.

Anyway, I don't have anything in my collection that I regret owning; I pride myself in taking the time necessary to find out if whatever game I'm interested in is worth my time or not. Nonetheless, if that were the case, I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond in selling/getting rid of whatever I regret having in my collection - there's no need to keep crap I'm not going to enjoy.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!