Author Topic: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?  (Read 5766 times)

Re: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2021, 02:43:48 pm »
Maybe the most embarassing thing that I have in my collection is this 'American Pie' UMD movie. https://vgcollect.com/item/57123
It's just a pretty weird movie and I think I just got it at a thrift store for close to nothing.

pzeke

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2021, 07:53:16 pm »
Maybe the most embarassing thing that I have in my collection is this 'American Pie' UMD movie. https://vgcollect.com/item/57123
It's just a pretty weird movie and I think I just got it at a thrift store for close to nothing.

Nah, nothing weird (or wrong) about it - that movie is one of the best things from the last century.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2021, 08:38:30 pm »
Suzuki TT Superbikes. There's a review online that perfectly sums up the dissapointment of this game, so I'll just copy-paste it here

"Left my wife for this game. Best 2$ I've ever spent! 5 out of 5!"
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2021, 11:39:28 am »
Nah, nothing weird (or wrong) about it - that movie is one of the best things from the last century.
[/quote]

true. I mostly just got it for the collection factor of it all.

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2021, 01:31:49 pm »
PSVita

Warmsignal

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2021, 02:15:40 pm »
I don't regret the Vita, I'm just sad it was snubbed by developers, publishers and Sony themselves. I still think it's a cool little piece of hardware despite having so little to play on it.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2021, 03:44:38 pm »
Celebrity Deathmatch for the PS2
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 06:42:34 pm »
I don't regret the Vita, I'm just sad it was snubbed by developers, publishers and Sony themselves. I still think it's a cool little piece of hardware despite having so little to play on it.

I jumped the gun with my response just cuz I wanted a response because at the end of the day, I do still have my Vita and by all accounts I dont intend on getting rid of it. That said, what you said falls in line with why I thought the Vita felt short with the lack of support which is a shame because the PSP which I really liked was awesome. Yes you can still play digital PSP games, PSone classics but the Vita library for me was lacking. I primarily wanted it for Persona 4 Golden so Im not mad about that. Also Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Muramasa. So if anything regret is a strong word with the Vita but rather disappointed that it was left to die so to speak.

kashell

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2021, 08:05:54 am »
Agreed. I love the Vita and feel like it has all of this untapped potential. I initially got it for Ys but I enjoyed some different titles on it while I waited for Ys to be released.

Flashback2012

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2021, 11:36:00 am »

*Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

That's fair.  ;)

The thing with LRG is they've licensed some really good stuff like Wonder Boy, DariusBurst, The Game Paradise and a bunch of other shoot em ups and platformers (like Shantae...how could I forget). That said, they let that fame get to their head and they put out a bunch of stuff that probably did NOT need a physical release. No doubt you'd be quick to say that it's on the buyer's part to do their due diligence on releases and that's certainly true. With them I wasn't on board from the get go, I think I started picking up games until Mystery Chronicle got released? I kept buying every week at first because they were Vita releases and I wanted to beef up my Vita collection. Then it just became a thing. At first I was telling myself I was helping that developer but some of the games I'd watch videos on and go "Why did I buy that?!" It's not that the games wouldn't be bad, just not games that appealed to me.

Also, they're started raising prices and the collector's/limited edtions didn't seem worth what they were charging. I did break myself of the "buy everything every week" and now have some lapses in my collection (mostly the PC releases). The good thing now is they've switched over to the pre-order model so I usually have a little time to decide if I want to pick up what they put out.  :P

pzeke

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 08:21:28 am »
I guess I can understand where you're coming from seeing as after years in the hobby I ended up collecting comicbooks haphazardly, just getting whatever book piqued my interest based on the cover alone, which led me to a path of obsessing with cover variants. Ironically, look at where that industry is right now...

LRG's initial approach was certainly well-intended—which we all know is the road to hell—but what they've become I honestly cannot support. Much to my chagrin, however, I'm immediately eating those words in a soup given I caved in and pre-ordered Scott Pilgrim; I was internally battling myself, dithering on whether getting it or not right until the very last minute...literally. In the end I just said "fuck it" out loud and placed the order. Indecision is a decision, as they say, and I was willing to live with it, but I really wanted that game.

Anyway, getting back on track, you can always sell whatever games you no longer want; there's still plenty of people interested in LRG releases, so I'd take advantage of that before the allure fades away.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 08:39:28 am »
Quite probably on par with those who bought an Ouya.
I forgot that I bought an Ouya.  That's up there.

Flashback2012

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 09:18:18 am »
I guess I can understand where you're coming from seeing as after years in the hobby I ended up collecting comicbooks haphazardly, just getting whatever book piqued my interest based on the cover alone, which led me to a path of obsessing with cover variants. Ironically, look at where that industry is right now...

LRG's initial approach was certainly well-intended—which we all know is the road to hell—but what they've become I honestly cannot support. Much to my chagrin, however, I'm immediately eating those words in a soup given I caved in and pre-ordered Scott Pilgrim; I was internally battling myself, dithering on whether getting it or not right until the very last minute...literally. In the end I just said "fuck it" out loud and placed the order. Indecision is a decision, as they say, and I was willing to live with it, but I really wanted that game.

Anyway, getting back on track, you can always sell whatever games you no longer want; there's still plenty of people interested in LRG releases, so I'd take advantage of that before the allure fades away.

I have parted with a couple of LRG games. I traded them to a friend who runs a flea market booth so I was able to get roughly what I paid for them.

Just a quick diverge about comics, in the last year I finally managed to break myself of only getting floppies. Cover prices are too high, chasing variants and dealing with speculators/scalpers have turned me off. Most series are written with trades in mind anymore so major events and what not I just wait out. It's not always the case but some trades have the variant cover art as a bonus plus I much prefer reading the whole thing from one book instead of a bunch of single issues. Took me long enough to jump on the trade train.  :P I still buy some floppies though, I'll never stop getting single issues of Action or Detective Comics. For Action, I have somewhere in the 400's all the way up to just past 1000.  ;)

Back to LRG...I just had a bunch of stuff show up from them. I did splurge on a few of the CE versions for Samurai Shodown and the Neo Geo ports they put in Shock Boxes. In regards to Scott Pilgrim, the version with the stage looked neat but I went regular on that. I did buy it on PS4 and Switch though.  :P

Quite probably on par with those who bought an Ouya.
I forgot that I bought an Ouya.  That's up there.

I bought one of these on clearance at Target. At the time it was still alive and Razer hadn't bought them out yet. I remember initially setting it up and then forgetting about it. Then Razer bought them and scuttled the thing. I haven't really looked into it but I heard they were somewhat "hackable" in that you could side load stuff onto them even though the platform is defunct? I have this "arcade stand" in the room that was an old Games for Windows kiosk that GameStop had in stores years ago that I've been looking to restore and slap some kind of Retro Pi device in or what not and thought maybe the Ouya could be used for that.

telly

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 10:03:17 am »
Thinking back to all the games released by LRG that I’ve bought…

•   Bastion – Fantastic experience
•   Broken Age – Not that great, decent beginning, but really falls apart at the end
•   Cosmic Star Heroine – Pretty good experience, really fun gameplay, great music, great visuals, but a story that felt rushed
•   Grandia HD collection – Haven’t played yet
•   Return of the Obra Dinn – Great puzzle game. Haven’t played that much of it though
•   Last Blade 2 – Really don’t like this game. I don’t like 2D fighters in general though, so it might just be me
•   Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - Decent experience, not that deep, and pretty short. Just okay.
•   Salt and Sanctuary – Really great game. Not my favorite visually, but everything else was really excellent
•   Shantae – Haven’t played yet
•   Shantae and the Seven Sirens – My second favorite Shantae game
•   Shantae Risky’s Revenge – Neat game, but not amazing. Prefer the later Shantae games a little more
•   Spelunky – Amazing game. One of my favorites of all time.
•   Ys Origin – Great game, just can’t stand the tiny HUD

So after giving it more thought, I really only regret purchasing are Last Blade 2 and Broken Age. Then again, I’ve really only been buying the big hitters from LRG, and haven’t really gone out on a limb with some of their more obscure releases.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:17:30 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

pzeke

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 11:46:55 am »
Just a quick diverge about comics, in the last year I finally managed to break myself of only getting floppies. Cover prices are too high, chasing variants and dealing with speculators/scalpers have turned me off. Most series are written with trades in mind anymore so major events and what not I just wait out. It's not always the case but some trades have the variant cover art as a bonus plus I much prefer reading the whole thing from one book instead of a bunch of single issues. Took me long enough to jump on the trade train.  :P I still buy some floppies though, I'll never stop getting single issues of Action or Detective Comics. For Action, I have somewhere in the 400's all the way up to just past 1000.  ;)

Yeah, trades are 100% better than singles, that I think many would agree could very well be a fact, especially if, as you said, all you care for is the story and you'd rather read the whole thing in one sitting. I used to get them fairly often, too, but I got over them after a while and just decided to go digital. Granted, I admit that I yarr-har-fiddle-dee-dee whatever I read, but the gist is I fully agree with you.

As for the OUYA, you should definitely hack it, that's what it's basically good for, anyway.