Author Topic: Your Opinions Of The Nintendo GameCube Console  (Read 1548 times)

Your Opinions Of The Nintendo GameCube Console
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:48:41 am »
In my opinion the Nintendo GameCube was Nintendo's the last normal gaming console, The next consoles following the GameCube were the Nintendo Wii then the Wii-U and now the Nintendo Switch. all 3 of these newer console generations are kind of separated from a normal more traditional video game console. The original Wii had a completely new style then the other Nintendo game consoles.

I have vary few GameCube Games, but when it was newer I had more GameCube Games and a black colored GameCube console. It was the first console I purchased on my own. I am not sure how many people still play or own a GameCube Console today. Sad thing about the Nintendo GameCube is the fact that most of it's games are also on the PS2 and Original Xbox console. and some GameCube games are backwards compatible with some Wii consoles. making the GameCube a somewhat pointless, itself but some of it's games were playable on the Wii.

If your looking for something like Mario Kart, or Metroid Prime, or Smash Bro Melee. these games were originally released on the GameCube. from what I know are Nintendo Exclusives not found on another non Nintendo game console.

Te biggest problem with the GameCube is the fact that a lot of it's games were also on the PlayStation 2 and the Original Xbox. therefore making the more expensive GameCube Disc kind of crazy to buy if you can find the same game on the PlayStation 2 or  the Original Xbox.

For a long time at GameStop from about 2005-2010 The GameCube was the cheapest console to collect for and the cheapest one for sale at GameStop's.

I discovered out that now a lot of GameCube games suffer a drifty analog stick, a lot of controllers have this problem where the game thinks you're moving to the right and it automatically moves your character to the right even when you are not pressing any buttion.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

mrkonasoni

Re: Your Opinions Of The Nintendo GameCube Console
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 08:24:54 am »
I certainly think the console is kind of underrated, the design and colors for the console are certainly clever and it still looks great even nowadays.

The catalogue of games is good, yeah, maybe most of the games are also available for other console but it should be take in consideration that the GCN ports ran better, had a better resolution and performance than the PS2 ports for example.

Also while I do miss some games from the PS2 in the GCN, I certainly think the library is still varied and interesting, at least the console is mostly free from the avalanche of shovelware that the PS2 had.

And the fact the console was compatible with the Wii is actually pretty useful if you are into homebrew, because even the Wii U can emulate the GCN using the vWii mode of the console with homebrew.

And at last, the memory cards were better than the ones for PS2, much more space for titles and unlike most fake memory cards for PS2, the fake GCN ones actually work with most games.

It is a good console, I am certainly curious about the reason behind the limited success of the console, maybe the answer is that PS2 was just way too powerful, still I recommend buying one or using emulation with a Wii U or Wii for play the console, it is great.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

telekill

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:23 am »
Gamecube is actually my favorite Nintendo system. NES comes close as that was my original. It was my resurgence back into the world of Nintendo after a long hiatus from the brand as I viewed it mostly as kid oriented. I was a Sega kid during the 16bit era and the N64 was a massive turn off for me given the controller and a majority of its library being directed towards kids.

With Gamecube,  I got it for Christmas after asking for one simply for Resident Evil Remake. The remake dropped my jaw at the time in terms of graphics and with the exclusivity deal, there was no choice if I wanted to play it. I ended up getting Smash Bros for Christmas with it and I was almost immediately hooked being able to beat the hell out of Pikachu. It was a great outlet. Then later on, the system became my gateway to the Zelda series as I had missed almost all of it. It started me on the preorder disc for OoT Master Quest that you got when preordering Wind Waker. Then I got the Collector's Disc. Then I got all the Gamecube Zelda games; Twilight Princess still being my favorite. Other favorite titles of mine on the system were Mario Kart DD, P.N.03, Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures and of course, RE Zero and 4.

The Gamecube also has one of the best controllers created. Definitely the best Nintendo controller anyway. During this generation, I was all about upgrading my consoles to their fullest extent possible. My Gamecube got the network adapter installed as well as the GBA Player. Networking two Gamecubes together for Mario Kart 8 player was fantastic while living in the dorms at college. Then of course, the GBA player basically allowed me to play all the SNES favorites including Zelda Link to the Past. Great title.

I regret selling my Gamecube. Hoping to hear of Twilight Princess being ported to Switch or maybe an entire Zelda collection. That would be fantastic. Oh well, one can hope.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 11:34:57 am »
Good console with great Nintendo exclusives. Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Assault, and Sonic Gems are the standout exclusives, for me.

It was the weakest console of that generation, IMO, however. But then there wasn't a bad console that generation, so that's not exactly a bad thing. It's just that the PS2 and Xbox were more widely supported.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:29:59 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 12:28:38 pm »
I think that the Nintendo GameCube was also the smallest main stream console of it's timeframe, From what I remember it had an ATI video card sticker on mine. the PS2 and the GameCube both had great graphics and the Original Xbox the best. Also worth noting that The Nintendo GameCube was the only 6th generation console that I had ever, that would over heat and shutdown, of course I ran my used one in 85-90 degree weather without indoor Air Condition so maybe that had something to do with it. ::)

Memory cards all came in 2 sizes the larger in size memory card held less save file data and the smaller Memory Card cards in size held more save data.

In spite of having smaller disc I never noticed any sink in graphic quality or game hold backs. for example "Call Of Duty Finest Hour" and "Call Of Duty: Big Red One" on the GameCube both are the same as the PlayStation 2 version. I never noticed any difference cross those 2 platforms. I think the SEGA Dreamcast was the weakest 6th Generation Console
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 01:13:31 pm »
Gamecube was the best console of it's generation

The uncontested king of multiplayer games. it had something of almost every genre and while the ps2 had more titles of most genre's the cube had quality in wich counter parts of the ps2 where usually far worse. if the ps2 had it the cube perfected it. Also if where talking ports like super monkey ball 1 & 2. thanks to the superior gamecube controller those are the very best ports to play. ps2 had lagg spikes for being a weak console and the xbox controller was just mediocre.

If you had a cube back in the day people would always come. it was the most fun console to play with friends.

The ps2 was a jack of all trades it has a ton of everything but it rarely perfected it except for rpg's. also a severe lack of solid multiplayers games and iconic mascots. Ps2 is really fun for the more whacky experiences a treasure trove of weird games and arcade ports. It's heavy hitting titles are usually very mediocre though in the current era to replay it's mostly the more niche titles that make the ps2 great. allot of genre's that where on cube while fun on ps2 where just not as enjoyable as on the cube. okami vs zelda, wipeout vs F zero mario kart double dash vs crash nitro cart. shitty 3d platformers vs mario I could go on.

Having whacky titles such as samurai western, god hand, torrente 3 or 10.000 bullets are definitely the reason why the ps2 is a fantastic console just because I prefer the cube doesn't mean that the ps2 is that much worse.

Xbox was by far the weakest console of it's generation. while it might be underrated and cheap with some gems here and there. Compared to cube and ps2 legacy consoles kinda a 5th wheel that you could ignore.

Xbox vs ps2 or cube is comparing a used cheap nissan vs a ferrari. Not to mention that most xbox titles haven't aged well in the current era so it's plus points of back than are far less appealing now thanks to it's heavy focus on more realistic games while really lacking in other departments. Powerfull console but it's library is child's play compared to the kings that are ps2 and cube.

not to say that the xbox doesn't have great titles that are fun to play in the current era. it's just a bit underwhelming compared to it's competitiors.

ps2 and cube are on the same lvl. Xbox definitely feels like a console that is multiple layers below those.

Sure it had some cool dreamcast titles but if xbox didn't exist those would have been shared by sony and nintendo. Sure halo was great at the time but we have choices galore for shooters in this era. And sure it had xbox online service for a monthly fee, but where talking present era and those features don't matter now. Games library is what matter to make a console replayable in the future and if you aren't a fan of shooters the xbox had allot less to offer.

In spite of having smaller disc I never noticed any sink in graphic quality or game hold backs. for example "Call Of Duty Finest Hour" and "Call Of Duty: Big Red One" on the GameCube both are the same as the PlayStation 2 version. I never noticed any difference cross those 2 platforms. I think the SEGA Dreamcast was the weakest 6th Generation Console

The gamecube console was twice as powerfull as the ps2. the ps2 was by far the weakest console of it's generation

Try playing re 4 on ps2 vs cube huge differences. ps2 can barely handle allot of games such as GTA it's a mess to design games for it's weak hardware but it was the cheapest and that sells. so massively supported in the end. The dvd player helped aswell

Disk space is a thing but aside from game data, it's grapics and frame rate won't improve.

Te biggest problem with the GameCube is the fact that a lot of it's games were also on the PlayStation 2 and the Original Xbox. therefore making the more expensive GameCube Disc kind of crazy to buy if you can find the same game on the PlayStation 2 or  the Original Xbox.

There are almost no notable gamecube games that where released on ps2 or xbox consoles. that's mostly for filler titles not the titles that people talk about all the time. exceptions exist but overall not the titles that made the cube so iconic or titles that people replay in the current era. Still though even if where talking those bad filler titles your better of getting those on either xbox or cube since they usually run way worse on ps2
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:37:14 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 02:55:37 pm »
At the time, I didn't really give the GameCube much thought. I was more enamored with the PS2 & upcoming Xbox.

Looking back on it, while all three consoles were solid in their performance and gaming library, the GameCube always strikes me as the console that was the most fun and accessible. Don't get me wrong; the PS2 & Xbox had fun games, but those always took a while for gamers to grasp if it wasn't in their wheelhouse. The GameCube really felt like it was all-inclusive!

If I ever get a chance to get one, I sure will!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 04:48:19 pm »
The GameCube was a great system even though I thought the Ps2 and Xbox were better. I do think that it has one of the best if not the best controller I have ever used imo. Excellent system!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 06:10:28 pm »
GameCube exclusives were the reason to own this system. If a third-party game came out on PS2, Xbox, and GC, almost always the GC version was the worst one to play, either because of stripped content and/or that dreadful controller. Ever tried to play Splinter Cell on the GC after playing it first on the Xbox?

Thank goodness the system had a handful of incredible first-party/exclusive titles. Quick shortlist:

- Metroid Prime 1 & 2
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Resident Evil 4 (I'm still bitter to this day about what happened to this game and as far as I'm concerned it only ever came out on GC lol)
- Killer 7 (ditto to explanation above)
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
- Animal Crossing
- F-Zero GX
- Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 06:26:38 pm »
I discovered out that now a lot of GameCube games suffer a drifty analog stick, a lot of controllers have this problem where the game thinks you're moving to the right and it automatically moves your character to the right even when you are not pressing any buttion.

As someone who's had a GameCube since 2004 and has continuously kept playing it over the years, using both my original controllers and new ones made by third parties in recent years, I have no idea what you are talking about here and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone bring this up about the GC.

The Switch Joycons though, now that's another story.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 06:39:41 pm »

As someone who's had a GameCube since 2004 and has continuously kept playing it over the years, using both my original controllers and new ones made by third parties in recent years, I have no idea what you are talking about here and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone bring this up about the GC.

I've never heard of this, either. Owned a GameCube for years.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 07:11:31 pm »
I was never a huge fan of the system myself.  I didn't own one, though there were games I liked on it at the time like Animal Crossing, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, and maybe a couple others, though I had no real issue with the system.  At the time I was just more interested in playing Xbox and PS2.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 09:17:36 pm »
I got a GameCube for Christmas whatever year it came out. I was college age so I thought that was a system for kids.  I took it back to Walmart and got an XBox. I don’t regret anything.

Fast forward a few years. I’ve started collecting NES games. So, that taste for Nintendo was renewed. I had graduated college and got a big boy job. I went down and bought a GameCube with Mario Party 7 at Best Buy. I’ve been in love ever since.

It’s the most fun system out of that generation. Those Nintendo exclusives are more fun today than anything else from that day. Too bad the controller is balls.

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 09:46:33 pm »
As someone raised in a Nintendo-fobic Sega-only environment, I can say that, for me, the Game Cube is my second favorite Nintendo console. In my heart and for my tastes, it places right after the SNES and way higher than the NES.
Great underrated console that can be purchaised for VERY cheap (at least around here). The games... not so cheap though...

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 09:53:32 pm »

maybe he talks about 3rd party gamecube controllers

Those are notoriously bad. buttons aswell. drift on such controllers sure but they where very cheaply made. avoid 3rd party controllers like the plague for gamecube unless it's the hori gameboy player controller

1st party original controllers though. durable as hell I can hardly imagine those ever having problems, even my heavily used ones from back in the day still work fine till this day.
Your Stylish Sword Master!