Author Topic: Nintendo Direct 2.17.21 thoughts?  (Read 2547 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Nintendo Direct 2.17.21 thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 01:49:54 pm »
Does it seem like we've been stuck in a near five year drought of Nintendo just re-releasing old games? They haven't had to spend a dime coming up with a new franchise entry since the Switch debuted. That's so lazy. Most of the games I get excited for on the Switch have nothing to do with Nintendo. Kinda sad.

Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the Wii U version of Skyward Sword from the store like they did with Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Wow, they actually did that? So lame. "Nobody bought our last console, so now if you wanna play those games, you're buying our new one!" Smh.

Seriously. What happened to Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2. They were announced ages ago.

I'd also love to see a new Golden Sun, but that's a pipe dream.

dhaabi

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 03:07:46 pm »
Does it seem like we've been stuck in a near five year drought of Nintendo just re-releasing old games? They haven't had to spend a dime coming up with a new franchise entry since the Switch debuted. That's so lazy.

I'm a little confused by this. Without a doubt, Nintendo has been re-releasing older games to the Switch. However, there have also been numerous fresh IPs across the almost-four years since the Switch debuted.

Switch: 1-2 Switch, Arms, Nintendo Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, Jump Rope Challenge

And, by comparison, here are new IPs debuting among older Nintendo consoles, with the Switch actually so far having introduced the most new IPs second to the DS when going back as far as the Game Boy Advance:

Game Boy Advance: WarioWare, Mario & Luigi, Rhythm Tengoku
GameCube: Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Metroid Prime
DS: Nintendogs, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, Fossil Fighters, Tomodachi Collection, Art Academy
Wii: Wii series
3DS: Steel Diver, Miitopia
Wii U: Nintendo Land, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Super Mario Maker

Generally, Nintendo stays within a safe zone and continues to expand upon existing franchises. Nintendo owns very few subsidiaries, meaning few new IPs are made across a system's life. On the hand, a company like Sony is a huge conglomerate, with new IPs being introduced at a much higher rate.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 03:12:53 pm by dhaabi »

Flashback2012

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 03:39:28 pm »
Pyra/Mythra...don't know anything about the characters. I have the games but haven't gotten around to playing them.  :P My hope is (and I'm sure this is going to happen) is that they get separate amiibo releases like Cloud/Bayonetta P1/P2 figures.

Mario Golf looked kinda lackluster. I'm sure it'll play fine but seems...bland? Is it done by Clap Hanz/Camelot or what not?

Monster Hunter Rise...saw the blurb for the MH Switch and Pro Controller...there goes another $400.  :o I JUST grabbed one of those Mario Switch systems and I KNOW they're going to roll out one for Zelda for the 35th anniversary. Speaking of, I NEED those JoyCons. I'm not even the biggest Zelda person but I've bought just about every Zelda special edition system they've put out (the exception being the Hylian Shield 2DS which I never got around to getting).

Decent amount of titles in this direct I'd like to get but the biggest aggravation was them not indicating if there's going to be physical releases or not. I've little doubt that the Famicom Mystery Club games will be digital only but things like Stubbs, No More Heroes 3, and such...who knows?  ???

Was watching the Direct with my roommate's son and he loves him some Mario. He actually expressed interest in the Mario items in Animal Crossing but hasn't yet been exposed to the evil that is Tom Nook and I'm afraid to unleash that upon him.  :P

Overall it seems like people were kinda of disappointed with the direct and I'm sitting here thinking "RIP my wallet".  ;)

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 03:48:47 pm »
Speaking of, I NEED those JoyCons. I'm not even the biggest Zelda person but I've bought just about every Zelda special edition system they've put out (the exception being the Hylian Shield 2DS which I never got around to getting).

They just started going up for pre-order.  Already available on GameStop and Best Buy.

aliensstudios

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 06:16:13 pm »
I don't think anything looked interesting enough to pick up. I'm a big Mario Golf fan, but there's no way this new one is going to live up to the GameCube and 3DS iterations, it looks bland and boring as hell.
More Splatoon? Meh.
Two anime chicks in Smash Bros.? Meh. Guess I'll continue not owning any of fighters pass 2.
Bad Zelda gets HD treatment for forty more dollars than you can get it for Wii or Wii U? Meh.
Miitopia coming to Switch for double the price you can buy the original for? Meh.
The Switch is just a rerelease machine at this point.
Where's a new Mario Kart? I've been playing Mario Kart 8 for seven years. At least give us some DLC for the existing game if you're going to continue squeezing life out of it. What happened to Metroid, Zelda BotW 2, and Bayonetta 3?
Seriously, if you owned a Wii U, it's like there's nothing to play on the Switch, just a bunch of ports with slight additions to existing games.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 07:18:23 pm »
Seriously, if you owned a Wii U, it's like there's nothing to play on the Switch, just a bunch of ports with slight additions to existing games.

This is why outside of that first year of the Switch, I haven't played my Switch a whole lot.  There's been some alright good games on Switch, but so many ports and remasters...Which wouldn't be the worst thing if it was stuff I wanted ported or remastered.  I did technically want Skyward Sword for the sake of wanting to give it another replay without motion controls and it's the only 3D Zelda that hasn't been touched up, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm not EXCITED for Skyward Sword, this playthrough will be to find out if I hate it as much as I use to lol

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 07:45:24 pm »

This is why outside of that first year of the Switch, I haven't played my Switch a whole lot.  There's been some alright good games on Switch, but so many ports and remasters...Which wouldn't be the worst thing if it was stuff I wanted ported or remastered.  I did technically want Skyward Sword for the sake of wanting to give it another replay without motion controls and it's the only 3D Zelda that hasn't been touched up, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm not EXCITED for Skyward Sword, this playthrough will be to find out if I hate it as much as I use to lol

I've mostly played it for indie games and PC ports, and it has been spectacular for all those, but it has definitely been a bit of a drought in for big AAA titles over the last year or so.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 08:14:00 pm »
Does it seem like we've been stuck in a near five year drought of Nintendo just re-releasing old games? They haven't had to spend a dime coming up with a new franchise entry since the Switch debuted. That's so lazy.

I'm a little confused by this. Without a doubt, Nintendo has been re-releasing older games to the Switch. However, there have also been numerous fresh IPs across the almost-four years since the Switch debuted.

Switch: 1-2 Switch, Arms, Nintendo Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, Jump Rope Challenge

And, by comparison, here are new IPs debuting among older Nintendo consoles, with the Switch actually so far having introduced the most new IPs second to the DS when going back as far as the Game Boy Advance:

Game Boy Advance: WarioWare, Mario & Luigi, Rhythm Tengoku
GameCube: Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Metroid Prime
DS: Nintendogs, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, Fossil Fighters, Tomodachi Collection, Art Academy
Wii: Wii series
3DS: Steel Diver, Miitopia
Wii U: Nintendo Land, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Super Mario Maker

Generally, Nintendo stays within a safe zone and continues to expand upon existing franchises. Nintendo owns very few subsidiaries, meaning few new IPs are made across a system's life. On the hand, a company like Sony is a huge conglomerate, with new IPs being introduced at a much higher rate.

My wording was a bit confused. I meant new entries into an existing franchise, but you underscore another point - the new IPs are lacking too. Exercise, toys to life, party games.... why Nintendo? Why are we dead to you?

But as far as "new" entries as in... a new Zelda? We had a Wii U developed game that became cross platform, a remake of a Game Boy title, and now a re-release of a Wii title coming up on the 4th anniversary of the Switch. We had Mario Odyssey, I'll give them that but oh man, that's been a while ago hasn't it? Then we had NSMB U re-release, now SM3D World re-release, no talk of a upcoming new title. We had Mario Kart 8 r-release, no new Mario Kart. We had Pikmin 3 re-release, no new Pikmin. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze re-release, no new Donkey Kong. Beyonetta 2 re-release, no new Beyonetta. Captain Toad re-release, no talk of a new game. I imagine I could go on, and on.

Brilliant from a business perspective, take the fruits of their previous failed endeavor and just run them all again. Not so fun for those of us who bought in the first time around.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 09:05:17 pm »

That's why it took me so long to buy one. Just got mine at the beginning of this year.

jipsy

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 02:12:06 am »
I was really excited that the Nintendo Direct was on my birthday then super disappointed by the number of JRPGs that got annouced.
Jipsy

kashell

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 08:06:52 am »
One battle down in the Triangle Strategy demo and it seems like SOP strategy RPG fare. I'm getting more Tactics Ogre vibes than anything else. I do like that it's a bit more streamlined - easy to move/end turns without a bunch of confirmations. Also, team attacks are a thing so that's fun.

tpugmire

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:34 am »
I was hoping for more Zelda, being the 35th anniversary and all that. I seem to be one of the few that actually liked Skyward Sword the first time around, so I’ll probably get it again to have a portable version Fall Guys coming to Switch is good news for me, since I’ve been wanting to try it out for a while. The Capcom arcade thing is the only other one that I’m interested in, even though there does seem to be a bit of overlap with other titles, like the Street Fighter collection. Not a great Nintendo Direct for me, but not terrible either.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 11:34:14 am »
I was hoping for more Zelda, being the 35th anniversary and all that. I seem to be one of the few that actually liked Skyward Sword the first time around, so I’ll probably get it again to have a portable version Fall Guys coming to Switch is good news for me, since I’ve been wanting to try it out for a while. The Capcom arcade thing is the only other one that I’m interested in, even though there does seem to be a bit of overlap with other titles, like the Street Fighter collection. Not a great Nintendo Direct for me, but not terrible either.

If it was some years ago I'd be excited for the Capcom Collection. But as it stands in 2021 I already have on my PS2, GBA, and Xbox One & Xbox 360.

Flashback2012

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 01:34:41 pm »
They just started going up for pre-order.  Already available on GameStop and Best Buy.

Only found the JoyCons on GS, nothing for the MH system or Pro Controller. Of course GS has the JoyCons listed as 'Not Available'. Best Buy has the JoyCons and Pro Controller but with a grayed-out 'Coming Soon' button.  :-\

I'm hoping it'll be like it's recently been where they've had a decent amount available at the get go as that's been the case with the Game & Watch, Fire Emblem Anniversary Box and most recently the Mario Switch system. I'm NOT trying to fight with scalpers over these.  >:(

dhaabi

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 01:56:09 pm »
I feel as if this image sums up Nintendo's decisions to re-release older titles for the Switch.