Author Topic: Instinction - Spiritual Successor to Dino Crisis  (Read 1788 times)

telekill

Instinction - Spiritual Successor to Dino Crisis
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:16:39 pm »
Recently announced was a game called Instinction which for lack of a better comparison is said to be the spiritual successor of Dino Crisis. As I've been wanting Dino Crisis to be remade in the same vein of Resident Evil 2 or 3 for quite some time, this has me really excited.

Not much is known and the trailer looks to be pretty early on and not well put together. Aside from that though, this has a massive amount of potential. I'm expecting an immersive and incredible experience. I hope we get to see some of the 3rd person gameplay soon.

Some of the key points:

- Can be played either 1st or 3rd person
 - Single player and co-op
 - Player customization (I'll probably try and remake Regina from Dino Crisis)
 - Weapons are fully customizable including skins
 - Customizable UI
 - Emphasis on next gen tech such as...
   - advanced ray-tracing
   - DLSS 2.0
   - HDRI
   - screen space effects
   - shadows and reflections
   - Dynamic resolution and frame rates
   - Target support for 8K and 120fps (not likely)
   - 3D audio
   - PS5 players get full dualsense support

Planned for release on PS5, PS4, XSeX/S, X1 and of course, PC during Q3 next year (2022).

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/02/15/instinction-dino-crisis-hashbane-dinosaurs-next-gen/#/slide/1

https://www.hashbane.com/ <-- Developer site

shfan

Re: Instinction - Spiritual Successor to Dino Crisis
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 10:40:09 am »
Is it survival horror or heavily inspired by survival horror? It doesn't sound like it, unless I've missed something. The term 'survival' has a very different meaning these days - large open-world 3D games where you have to eat and shelter etc. as opposed to manage limited ammo and solve puzzles involving portraits and crank handles.

telekill

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 11:26:58 am »
Is it survival horror or heavily inspired by survival horror? It doesn't sound like it, unless I've missed something. The term 'survival' has a very different meaning these days - large open-world 3D games where you have to eat and shelter etc. as opposed to manage limited ammo and solve puzzles involving portraits and crank handles.

We don't have that information yet. The dev stated it was a spiritual successor to Dino Crisis. They've shown very little but it's enough to get me excited. I'm sure we won't know or see much more of this until probably one of the trade shows this year or maybe even next as it's not due to release until late next year.

shfan

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 02:21:21 pm »
If it's more DC and less Turok then I'm excited too :D fingers crossed it pans out, thanks for the heads up on this

telekill

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 03:18:34 pm »
If it's more DC and less Turok then I'm excited too :D fingers crossed it pans out, thanks for the heads up on this

Any time. I'm really hoping we see third person gameplay soon.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:06:42 pm »
The Dino Crisis talk doesn't come off very well to me reading what the actual game is meant to be with "semi open world", "campaigns", and "co-op"...This game will likely just end up being similar to Left 4 Dead or Vermintide, done in that kind of structure, which has nothing to do with Dino Crisis in any way whatsoever.  Could still be a cool game, but I'll wait till they have something to actually show off before showing much interest in this, especially since it is the studios first game.

telekill

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 07:47:21 pm »
The Dino Crisis talk doesn't come off very well to me reading what the actual game is meant to be...  has nothing to do with Dino Crisis in any way whatsoever. 

I think what they're meaning by that is that it's a survival suspense game with dinosaurs that can be played in third person and has action elements. Time will tell if it holds up to the comparison.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 08:02:10 pm »
Looks cool, that's for sure, but quite frankly, I'm not getting a Dino Crisis vibe out of this at all...Turok on steroids, maybe.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

telekill

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 11:48:58 am »
The devs behind Instinction have released a new trailer and announced that the game has moved development from Unreal Engine 4 (which the new trailer was using and still looks gorgeous) to the new UE5.

With the announcement of moving to UE5, they announced that all capable systems will have the option of Ray Tracing. So PC and the new consoles.

Here's their note:
"UE5 will allow for us to further push the lighting and model quality. A few dino models will be improved on and/or replaced to be completely unique to Instinction, we’re working with most of the original artists for new models and animations. There is a lot going on behind the scenes and we will share more details as and when we can through our socials."

Link to the new trailer is below. I recommend watching it in 4K if you have the opportunity. Absolutely stunning. This game is the first one that I'm interested in that feels truly next gen and worth owning a PS5 for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_AhYL3ivO0

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 03:41:17 pm »
Based on my previous experiences with the series, I'll be giving this game a try!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 01:03:55 pm »
As long as it's not another multiplayer only game, which there's a good chance it will be given today's games, it looks interesting.

telekill

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 09:34:18 am »
Well crap. Instinction has been delayed to some time in 2025. ??? -- I feel this game has potentially become vaporware... which is really disappointing as it was my main must have game of the generation so far. With this news, I expect last gen (PS4, X1) versions to be cancelled.

Story blurb:

"Hashbane Interactive team have been busy behind the scenes – working on the next phase of development for the upcoming title. This resulted in New Zealand-based investment firm Hillfarrance investing an additional $2 million into the game – providing the funds to take production to the next level.

Hillfarrance’s Managing Partner & Founder, Rob Vickery, said the following about his partnership with Hashbane Interactive: “With over 50 years of combined gaming experience at Hillfarrance, when we meet a team building a game that we cannot wait to play they certainly get our attention. This happened when Jade and Courtney presented what they had already accomplished with Hashbane’s first title, Instinction. Aside from crafting a story and gameplay demo that kept us wanting more, they had captured the imagination of millions of gamers worldwide via their launch trailer. Equally as impressive was their ability to build partnerships with some of the titans of the gaming industry – such as Epic and Intel.”

The game promises to take advantage of its roots in Unreal Engine 5 – producing a truly immersive experience which the team hope will give Dinosaur Fans the videogame of their dreams. Dinosaur fans can expect action, exploration, adventure and discovery as they get to immerse themselves in a gorgeously crafted world which takes full advantage of Unreal Engine 5.

Although news on the production is still heavily under wraps currently, Rob was also keen to share how he hopes Instinction will shape the New Zealand Game Industry: “We are delighted to increase our investment into Hashbane to $2m and help fund the expansion of our team to complete the next phase of game development. In what we believe is the largest ever video game studio investment from an NZ-based venture fund, we are helping lay the foundations for a new, Triple-A game development studio with a wildly audacious vision. This vision is attracting some of the most exciting talent in the industry to our shores, whilst also bringing the world’s eyeballs to our burgeoning game economy. Perhaps more importantly to our purpose-driven fund, Hashbane will also hopefully encourage our youth to seek out careers in game development and the creative economy.”

Cutting out some of the content that you can read if you're interested in the link below.

Key Features:

- Layered Narrative: Discover the intense explorative story of April Summers, a driven and formidable adventurer deeply affected by personal demons and fears.
 - Survive and Explore: Play face to face against a wide variety of ravenous prehistoric and extinct creatures.
 - Traverse, discover, solve puzzles and complete quests filled with deadly obstacles.
 - Stunning Locations: Conquer beautifully crafted interactive environments filled with ancient ruins, caves, lore, forests, grassy plains and underwater exploration.
 - Take Control: Switch between third and first person on the fly, with customisable hud, weapons and skins, special items and collectibles.

Instinction is planned for release on PC (Steam), last-generation and current-generation consoles at some point in 2025.

Link to full story:
https://worthplaying.com/article/2022/8/19/news/133242-instinction-developer-receives-extra-funding-expands-team-switches-to-unreal-engine-5-delays-launch-until-2025/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:38:05 am by telekill »