Author Topic: GameCube games worth getting for cheap  (Read 3509 times)

dreama1

Re: GameCube games worth getting for cheap
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 04:07:52 pm »
I don't think COVID has really hurt everybody of a certain class. Nobody that I know personally has fallen on hard times because of the virus. Everyone admits to not needing the checks, and just using them as play money. Depends on what industry you are in I guess, and whether or not you have kids, because babysitting can be very costly when schools are shut down.
Someone who can afford 1000s of new video games I'd imagine No, their class is not hurt. 

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 06:52:35 pm »
I don't think COVID has really hurt everybody of a certain class. Nobody that I know personally has fallen on hard times because of the virus. Everyone admits to not needing the checks, and just using them as play money. Depends on what industry you are in I guess, and whether or not you have kids, because babysitting can be very costly when schools are shut down.

There are businesses shutting down left and right due to closures. There are definetly people hurting from it.

The theory was only the middle class suffered and now it's a rich man's hobby to collect games. In my experience, that's not the case. I know lots of 40-50k (yeah that's middle class here) a year people who said they didn't really need the checks to get by. If they have kids, then yeah they had to miss work or hire a sitter.

I think a lot of people across the US have a different grasp of economic depression. In my home state, economic depression has been a way of life since the 1950s. We are almost the top poorest state in the union. We had so little to loose, we didn't feel it. Walmart is our second largest employer behind the mines, and neither shut down so we're good out here... at least until the current administration's climate change policy takes us out back and puts us down.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 07:59:50 pm »
Star Wars Rouge Leader.

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 10:08:44 pm »

There are businesses shutting down left and right due to closures. There are definetly people hurting from it.

The theory was only the middle class suffered and now it's a rich man's hobby to collect games. In my experience, that's not the case. I know lots of 40-50k (yeah that's middle class here) a year people who said they didn't really need the checks to get by. If they have kids, then yeah they had to miss work or hire a sitter.

I think a lot of people across the US have a different grasp of economic depression. In my home state, economic depression has been a way of life since the 1950s. We are almost the top poorest state in the union. We had so little to loose, we didn't feel it. Walmart is our second largest employer behind the mines, and neither shut down so we're good out here... at least until the current administration's climate change policy takes us out back and puts us down.

I would moreso say that people who had office esk jobs hardly notice a thing aside from having to work at home during covid. they actually have more free time aswell so medium and high class. although less new people are getting hired during covid and people who didn't have a permanent contract would be kicked out wich would have otherwise stayed.

depening on the sector your in however no matter what class your at you'll be hurting big time. Considering how allot of sectors rely on tourism.

I however think that if covid is over we'll be working a hell lot more at home than actually at the office since allot stuff seems to work fine withouth office space. could be a big hurdle for newcomers though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:11:58 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

aliensstudios

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 01:10:20 pm »
If you get an Action Replay disc, importing some of the better games can be much cheaper. For stuff like Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Wave Race etc. where language isn't too much of a barrier, lots of these games can be had for half or less of their American / European counterparts.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 02:05:13 pm »
You can also emulate them games on dolpin.

If you get some friends you can even play those games online wich isn't possible on the original console. mario kart smash bros melee wich even has a search system like the modern smash games nowadays.

I'd also recommend that for GBA games. four swords and the kirby games 2 - 4 players kinda hard to organize with original hardware.

Gamecube is not a fun console to collect for on the cheap I'd say, gotto spend some money or emulate. otherwise your better off going to ps2.

There was a time when collecting gamecube was fun but that hasn't been the case for 5+ years now. It's one of the most hard consoles to collect for in deals for quite some years now. Like legit your going to have more luck finding actual rare valuable titles that far surpass the cube than finding something good on cube.

and I'm talking snes, genesis even stuff like saturn is easier to actually find great deals for. to popular, people know way to much about it. it's to much on the spotlight. if a retro console ain't called the turbografx or neo geo aes it's going to be easier to find nice deals compared to cube from my personal experience anyway.

Majority of my cube deals was when it was easy in wich you find the stuff by the truck load for cheap. zelda and mario games for cheap was really easy hidden gems like gotcha force where ignored since most people didn't really know allot about it. but at a certain point it became really popular stupid popular, to many resellers and collectors searching for it I'd say.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:14:03 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 05:32:29 pm »
the GameCube (at least where I lived)  at one time the cheapest 6th generation console to buy, and it had the cheapest games out of all consoles during this era 2004-2010. In fact GameStop must have loved the Nintendo GameCube since they even had their own self branded GameCube controller. I in their stores as a cheaper alternative to the official GameCube controller. The GameStop brand GameCube Controllers from this era were bigger then the official GameCube Controllers and used to be quality products sold new.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:40:43 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2021, 05:52:59 pm »
the GameCube (at least where I lived)  at one time the cheapest 6th generation console to buy, and it had the cheapest games out of all consoles during this era 2004-2010. In fact GameStop must have loved the Nintendo GameCube since they even had their own self branded GameCube controller. I in their stores as a cheaper alternative to the official GameCube controller. The GameStop brand GameCube Controllers from this era were bigger then the official GameCube Controllers and used to be quality products sold new.

talking 2nd hand market when the games weren't sold in stores anymore. cheap deals for gamecube where plenty full 5+ years ago. but even there clearly it was the console in wich people did pay the higher prices if they where impatient.

ps2 and xbox where pretty much always pennies on the dollar. less attention and obviously with ps2 most people not knowing it's library aside from the bigger titles that you saw on the store shelves.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2021, 10:41:15 pm »
If you get an Action Replay disc, importing some of the better games can be much cheaper. For stuff like Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Wave Race etc. where language isn't too much of a barrier, lots of these games can be had for half or less of their American / European counterparts.
Wave Race isn't expensive anyway.

aliensstudios

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2021, 10:55:00 pm »
Wave Race isn't expensive anyway.
Meant to say F-Zero GX
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 11:53:59 pm »
In fact GameStop must have loved the Nintendo GameCube since they even had their own self branded GameCube controller. I in their stores as a cheaper alternative to the official GameCube controller. The GameStop brand GameCube Controllers from this era were bigger then the official GameCube Controllers and used to be quality products sold new.

GameStop did this with every console from the era.  It's nothing special.

On the topic - I just got a copy of Super Mario Strikers for $7 which is an incredible deal, since it is usually $30 for just the disc.  But that's what you are generally going to be looking at for the majority of the first party GCN games.  You might find some decent 3rd party / cross-platform deals for the GCN, but I've found it pretty rare.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 04:46:56 pm »
I am so out of touch when it comes to retro game prices anymore lol. All I know is everything older than Gen 7 is pretty much a good 30% or more of what it was just a couple years ago. I belong to a few Facebook gaming groups or gaming Buy/Sell/Trade groups. I see people posting games like Chronicles of Narnia or Spongebob for the Gamecube and thinking they're out of their minds with how much they're asking. I then look up completed listings and my jaw drops to find out how much shovelware GC titles like those have gone up. And don't even get me started on the more sought after games like Luigi's Mansion, Melee, or F-Zero. At this point I feel like $15 is probably the entry point for any GC title lol

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 09:06:34 pm »
so spongebob battle for bikini bottom ain't shovelware

it's apparently a cult classic. it was so popular that people where pretty hyped when the game got released again on current gen hardware with hydrated.

If where talking actual shovelware 5$ or less is doable. 15$ is if your really impatient but there are far more sellers than buyers for shovelware even on cube
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:23:25 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 10:21:01 pm »
so spongebob battle for bikini bottom ain't shovelware

it's apparently a cult classic. it was so popular that people where pretty hyped when the game got released again on current gen hardware with hydrated.

If where talking actual shovelware 5$ or less is doable. 15$ is if your really impatient but there are far more sellers than buyers for shovelware even on cube

lol I had no idea.

It's nice GC games can still be had below $5. I figured all the annual roster update EA sports titles were probably under $10 (save NCAA Basketball 2003 or whatever it was). I guess i'm just happy I don't have to worry about stuff like this anymore since I'm more or less done with collecting for the GC.

kashell

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 08:08:44 am »
Geez. I just checked how much the GameCube games I own would cost nowadays. I picked up Baten Kaitos Origins at a random game store not too long ago for 12 bucks and now it's...not that.