Author Topic: Best Metroidvania games ?  (Read 4727 times)

Re: Best Metroidvania games ?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 10:46:37 am »
Another good one to mention is Dead Cells. I guess its more a roguelike metroidvania, but it certainly scratches that itch in my opinion.

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 12:02:24 pm »
Thanks everyone for all your answers. I bought yesterday The Messenger and Strider (2014)

I will definitly buy : 

-Hollow Knight

-Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

-Bloodstained : Ritual of the night

-Super Metroid

All good choices - generally top of the genre.  I actually need to get around to playing Bloodstained myself one of these days.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 04:58:44 pm »
Just had to respond since Metroidvanias are one of my favorite genres.

Naturally, Symphony of the Night is among my favorite games. In that vein, I’d also recommend any of the GBA/DS Castlevania games: Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. Plus there’s Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion.

As others have pointed out, Bloodstained is excellent. However, I’m a major outlier when I say I’m NOT a fan of Hollow Knight. It’s ok I guess, but I just got bored by it, plus it’s really difficult. On the other side of that, the only Shantae game I’ve played is Risky’s Revenge, which was fun but insanely easy. I really want to play Seven Sirens.

The game I want to add: Blasphemous.
It took me a bit to warm up to it, but it is EXCELLENT. Amazing pixel graphics, tough-but-fair bosses, memorably bleak setting, and great soundtrack. I liked it so much that when I finished it for the first time I immediately began another playthrough.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:10:18 pm by undertakerprime »

ferraroso

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 08:13:52 pm »
Albeit not perfect, The Mummy: Demastered is also a decent Metroidvania that most people seem to have forgotten...

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 08:16:07 pm »
Batman on the nes is excellent.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 08:27:22 pm »

It is. But Metroidvania?

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 07:42:38 pm »

It is. But Metroidvania?
I feel it is reminds me of Castlevaina alot and it's got a dark feel like metroid,you never played it?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 07:52:54 pm »

It is. But Metroidvania?
I feel it is reminds me of Castlevaina alot and it's got a dark feel like metroid,you never played it?

Yeah, one of my favorite NES games. Killer soundtrack.

But Metroidvania means exploratory. Like how in Metroid if you get the grapple gun you can now access areas you couldn't before. So you go and backtrack to those areas with your new ability.

Batman was a level-by-level affair. No backtracking and no new abilities to unlock. Nothing to explore besides the way the level guides you. Not that I'm knocking it, it's still a fantastic game, just a different genre.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:00 pm »
Yeah I guess your right never thought about it that way how about Blaster Master then.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 12:34:20 pm »
Yeah I guess your right never thought about it that way how about Blaster Master then.

Want to get into it, but just didn't grab me. I downloaded it on Virtual Console.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 05:17:52 pm »
Symphony of the night

Honorable mentions to aria of sorrow and portrait of ruin.

I have finished hollow knight and while great I don't think it's that amazing compared to super metroid or castlevania series.

For an indie game in modern era it's definitely top notch. a hell lot better than shovel knight for my taste if where talking other popular indie games.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2021, 09:51:35 am »
I loved playing through the Castlevania games on the GBA and the DS (the only one I’ve yet to experience is Dawn of Sorrow). And the Shantae games are absolutely fantastic Metroidvania games. I favor Pirate’s Curse of all the Shantae games so far. MegaMan ZX and ZX Advent are some fantastic entries too.

telly

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 10:46:49 am »
MegaMan ZX and ZX Advent are some fantastic entries too.

Yessss. ZX and ZX Advent are my favorite 2D Mega Man games in part because of the Metroidvania elements.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Flashback2012

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 11:26:21 am »
In regards to the Castlevanias that were Metroidvania style, I'm partial to Harmony of Dissonance myself.  :)

kashell

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 06:04:00 pm »
I'm also a huge fan of Harmony of Dissonance.