Author Topic: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?  (Read 5773 times)

gummo

Re: What is the most regretful thing in your collection?
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2021, 12:21:15 pm »
Besides my Ouya , I'd say off the top of my head ,I regret buying LAND OF THE DEAD: ROAD TO FIDDLER"S GREEN for the OG Xbox very much . It was so glitchy , I remember every so often the screen would just go green and pink and you'd have to shut it off . It was unplayable .

Honorable mention - My Gemini Alien Infection OG Xbox controller . Very lumpy feel , sticks are hyper sensitive while buttons are unresponsive . A cool looking cheaply made uncomfortable controller .

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2021, 12:48:38 pm »
I guess I can understand where you're coming from seeing as after years in the hobby I ended up collecting comicbooks haphazardly, just getting whatever book piqued my interest based on the cover alone, which led me to a path of obsessing with cover variants. Ironically, look at where that industry is right now...

LRG's initial approach was certainly well-intended—which we all know is the road to hell—but what they've become I honestly cannot support. Much to my chagrin, however, I'm immediately eating those words in a soup given I caved in and pre-ordered Scott Pilgrim; I was internally battling myself, dithering on whether getting it or not right until the very last minute...literally. In the end I just said "fuck it" out loud and placed the order. Indecision is a decision, as they say, and I was willing to live with it, but I really wanted that game.

Anyway, getting back on track, you can always sell whatever games you no longer want; there's still plenty of people interested in LRG releases, so I'd take advantage of that before the allure fades away.

I have parted with a couple of LRG games. I traded them to a friend who runs a flea market booth so I was able to get roughly what I paid for them.

Just a quick diverge about comics, in the last year I finally managed to break myself of only getting floppies. Cover prices are too high, chasing variants and dealing with speculators/scalpers have turned me off. Most series are written with trades in mind anymore so major events and what not I just wait out. It's not always the case but some trades have the variant cover art as a bonus plus I much prefer reading the whole thing from one book instead of a bunch of single issues. Took me long enough to jump on the trade train.  :P I still buy some floppies though, I'll never stop getting single issues of Action or Detective Comics. For Action, I have somewhere in the 400's all the way up to just past 1000.  ;)

Back to LRG...I just had a bunch of stuff show up from them. I did splurge on a few of the CE versions for Samurai Shodown and the Neo Geo ports they put in Shock Boxes. In regards to Scott Pilgrim, the version with the stage looked neat but I went regular on that. I did buy it on PS4 and Switch though.  :P

Quite probably on par with those who bought an Ouya.
I forgot that I bought an Ouya.  That's up there.

I bought one of these on clearance at Target. At the time it was still alive and Razer hadn't bought them out yet. I remember initially setting it up and then forgetting about it. Then Razer bought them and scuttled the thing. I haven't really looked into it but I heard they were somewhat "hackable" in that you could side load stuff onto them even though the platform is defunct? I have this "arcade stand" in the room that was an old Games for Windows kiosk that GameStop had in stores years ago that I've been looking to restore and slap some kind of Retro Pi device in or what not and thought maybe the Ouya could be used for that.

Pre-order comics. No need to fight scalpers or speculators and you get 15% off cover when pre-ordering.

I don't like waiting and getting the story spoiled. And trades don't go up in value. I have funded many a game or new comic with old issues that raise in value. So I'm still all about the floppies. Not opposed to a trade if it's a lot cheaper for something I don't have, though.

Flashback2012

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2021, 09:28:04 pm »
Pre-order comics. No need to fight scalpers or speculators and you get 15% off cover when pre-ordering.

I don't like waiting and getting the story spoiled. And trades don't go up in value. I have funded many a game or new comic with old issues that raise in value. So I'm still all about the floppies. Not opposed to a trade if it's a lot cheaper for something I don't have, though.

Pre-order comics...ya mean like maintain a pull at my LCS. Done and done. Mine gives me 20% off cover but they are still susceptible to shipments getting damaged and lost as well as under ordering. Most recently got screwed on an issue of Catwoman where a new character debuted. LCS either goofed my pull or didn't order enough and within days that particular issue shot up to $20 with scalpers. Now I've got this hole in the collection that I wonder will ever get filled because I'm NOT trying to pay over cover for that book.

Funding isn't an issue and I never did try to buy comics for the potential value. As for trades not going up in value...that is patently false. There are PLENTY of trades right now I want that are commanding up to triple digits between Amazon, eBay and various online book shops. However if you can find me good condition trades of the Marvel Amalgam Age of Comics for $15-20 each, do let me know.  ;)

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2021, 09:23:30 am »
Probably would have to go with Super Pinball for the SNES. I was expecting it to be even a tad more exciting and I felt I ended playing something that was pretty meh. It was that game that made me want to checkout gameplay footage on YT or anywhere else I can find out more.