Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS turns 10 years old.  (Read 2667 times)

Re: Nintendo 3DS turns 10 years old.
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2021, 02:50:10 pm »
I guess that makes sense. I never played any of the other Chibi-Robo games before so I don't have the shadow of the past games hanging over me. Had the game been released as a stand-alone title without the Chibi-Robo tie-in, maybe it would have been better received. I feel like the game does stand on its own though and doesn't need to be compared to Mario, DK, Kirby, etc.

This reminds me of another game that was widely panned for similar reasons back in the day, Alundra 2 for the PS1. There isn't much wrong with the game itself, and I personally love it and recommend the game whenever I can. But nearly every review I've read laments that it has little to do with the first Alundra and tries to compare the two games against one another. And then it summarizes by saying "not a bad game, but slapping the Alundra name on it is why I score it a 4/10"...

Oh, and I forgot to let you know sworddude that I appreciated the well thought out reply earlier in this thread about the later gen Pokemon games. I ended up buying a copy of Pokemon Ultra Sun based on your recommendations, though it might be a while until I get around to playing it... I have a few other RPGs that I'm currently in the middle of...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:59:30 pm by chexmixbreath »

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 03:44:47 pm »
I guess that makes sense. I never played any of the other Chibi-Robo games before so I don't have the shadow of the past games hanging over me. Had the game been released as a stand-alone title without the Chibi-Robo tie-in, maybe it would have been better received. I feel like the game does stand on its own though and doesn't need to be compared to Mario, DK, Kirby, etc.

This reminds me of another game that was widely panned for similar reasons back in the day, Alundra 2 for the PS1. There isn't much wrong with the game itself, and I personally love it and recommend the game whenever I can. But nearly every review I've read laments that it has little to do with the first Alundra and tries to compare the two games against one another. And then it summarizes by saying "not a bad game, but slapping the Alundra name on it is why I score it a 4/10"...

Oh, and I forgot to let you know sworddude that I appreciated the well thought out reply earlier in this thread about the later gen Pokemon games. I ended up buying a copy of Pokemon Ultra Sun based on your recommendations, though it might be a while until I get around to playing it... I have a few other RPGs that I'm currently in the middle of...

Alundra 2 is pretty good but while enjoyable it doesn't compare to alundra 1. I would not give it a low score just because it isn't as amazing as the first entry though it's still solid i would give it a 7. I don't really see it as an alundra game Just as another rpg it's quite different.

Alundra 1 is however one of my favourite ps1 games it's a master piece. I'd rather play alundra than a link to the past if I'm being honest. I can see the dissapointment of fans of the first entry.

Still though I've actually heard that alundra 2 back in the day had better reviews than alundra 1. Probably because it was in 3D wich was pretty hot at the time. but that's europe could be a different scenario than the USA if true at all I've heard so from other collectors so take that with a grain of salt.

When the time comes I hope you enjoy your playthrough with ultra sun.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:09:59 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 09:16:07 am »
I remember trying a demo of the 3DS at Fry’s...and immediately stopped because the 3D effect was giving me a headache.

I never actually bought a 3DS or 2DS. There hasn’t been any absolute must-have games to buy one for. I mean, there are a few I’d like to have, but most of those are so flippin’ expensive there’s no point. It’s insane how much GBA/DS/3DS games go for now.

covfefe2020

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 09:51:23 am »
Are you buying them brand new or what?
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

sworddude

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 10:46:19 am »
I remember trying a demo of the 3DS at Fry’s...and immediately stopped because the 3D effect was giving me a headache.

I never actually bought a 3DS or 2DS. There hasn’t been any absolute must-have games to buy one for. I mean, there are a few I’d like to have, but most of those are so flippin’ expensive there’s no point. It’s insane how much GBA/DS/3DS games go for now.

except for some niche rpg's 3ds is really cheap atm and to be fair most of those never got cheap always close to msrp at the very least if where talking about those rpg's
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:49:45 am by sworddude »

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 06:16:58 pm »

except for some niche rpg's 3ds is really cheap atm and to be fair most of those never got cheap always close to msrp at the very least if where talking about those rpg's

My mistake, I lumped 3DS in with DS. And lately it seems all the DS games I want happen to be the super-expensive ones (Dragon Quest, Pokémon, stuff I only recently discovered like Dark Spire and Fighting Fantasy). DS games are holding their value very well considering they’re not that old.

sworddude

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 06:41:18 pm »

My mistake, I lumped 3DS in with DS. And lately it seems all the DS games I want happen to be the super-expensive ones (Dragon Quest, Pokémon, stuff I only recently discovered like Dark Spire and Fighting Fantasy). DS games are holding their value very well considering they’re not that old.

ah yes was also kinda shocked how high dragonquest ds game prices got even the bad stuff such as dragonquest IX.

Pokemon is on a different lvl though it's just insane how high those prices got I didn't expect that much of an increase after the pokemon go hype guess I was wrong. cardboard releases even surpassing value cib of actual grails on other consoles Makes zero sense at all

zelda and mario never got anywhere close with them common games  :o

Supply and demand pokemon just has a ton of fans. Audience for other retro games are just allot smaller. If the audience is that big you can even make common games have insane value.