Author Topic: What is a retro game that you've only recently discovered?  (Read 2082 times)

Warmsignal

What is a retro game that you've only recently discovered?
« on: March 22, 2021, 11:50:40 pm »
Most of us are season collectors and have been gaming for many years. Sometimes you think you've seen it all, and then you come across a game and realize you've never even seen that title before in all of your travels and researching, it somehow eluded you. This happens to me every so often and it's odd to make those discoveries.

My first example, "Ninja Assault" for the PS2. Really, Ninja Assault? You're gonna tell me that's a game that exists? How is there Namco title on PS2 I've never heard of in my life??! Well, apparently it's a thing.

What are some classic games which have inexplicably eluded your awareness for many years after they had any reasonable expectation of doing so?

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

Re: What is a retro game that you've only recently discovered?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 09:22:12 am »
Happens to me all the time. There’s always curiosities hidden away in the dark corners of a console’s library.

Just recently, I happened across an article on Hardcore Gaming 101 about the DS game Orcs & Elves, which I never heard of. It led me down a rabbit hole which included Mazes of Fate, Fighting Fantasy, and The Dark Spire, which subsequently led me to other DS games unknown to me like Thor and Glory of Heracles. Haven’t played any of them yet, but I really want to get to one of the local retro game stores to see if I can find any of these.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 11:33:26 am »
The DS is another platform I know well and I've collected intensely since about 2009, but occasionally still make new discoveries. Like Space Bust-a-Move, The Wild West, Super Speed Machines and Sideswiped I only discovered in recent years.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 11:35:25 am »

Faria on NES.

A game that combines traditional overhead RPGs (including random battles) with action-RPG battles. Looks very interesting. But being that it's over $100 I haven't bit the bullet on it, yet.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 11:43:00 am »

Faria on NES.

A game that combines traditional overhead RPGs (including random battles) with action-RPG battles. Looks very interesting. But being that it's over $100 I haven't bit the bullet on it, yet.

Yeah, that's another curiosity that often goes overlooked. Sadly, what's becoming all too common is finding games which are over $100.

monkeyjam

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 03:59:04 pm »
For me it's Knights of the Round on the Snes. One of my favorite games of all time is King of Dragons but i didn't know Capcom release another medieval game at the same time. Definitly a must buy very soon.
Collecting Xbox OG, Playstation 1 and 4, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 04:26:09 pm »
For me it's Knights of the Round on the Snes. One of my favorite games of all time is King of Dragons but i didn't know Capcom release another medieval game at the same time. Definitly a must buy very soon.

Great game, love it! But I question if the level-ups actually do anything besides looks.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 04:39:13 pm »
oh) I like to play Super Mario, Tanks and other console games)

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 06:22:03 pm »
Here’s another example:

I had Ikari Warriors for my NES back when I was a kid, and I HATED it. Got Ikari Warriors 2 on the hope it was better, but it was also disappointing. Those 2 games soured me on NES vertical run-n-guns for decades.

Eventually, through emulation, I discovered Commando and Gun.Smoke, both of which I had heard about but never tried. And both turned out to be 1000% better than Ikari Warriors. If only I had known that back then.

Also, it’s only over the last few years I learned the existence of Thunder Force IV and Crusader of Centy on Genesis. Haven’t played them yet but they seem highly regarded now.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 06:37:06 pm »
Not newly discovered, but I only just played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time about 2 years ago.  Let me tell you, that is a game that lives up to its reputation.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 09:30:16 pm »
Recently I found a Gameboy game called Avenging Spirit it's a platform game kinda looks like a mega man game but when you are killed you can possess the enemy that killed you and continue as that enemy with his ability. Really fun game but expensive as hell I was lucky and got a break on the price.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »
Been finding new (at least to me) retro video games all my life. and mostly every time I go out game shopping, to be honest? I even have games in my collection that have yet to be discovered by me or at least played.

But I only by  buy a game if I think it's gonna be good. or it's a genre I interested in
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 06:18:10 am »
I was really impressed with Sylvester and Tweety in Caged Capers for the Mega Drive/Genesis.

It's a really unique and fun game that captures the spirit of the cartoon really well.

kashell

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 07:38:51 am »
Turf introduced me to a little gem called Kickle Cubicle a bit ago. Good stuff.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 02:04:05 pm »
Turf introduced me to a little gem called Kickle Cubicle a bit ago. Good stuff.

That’s a gem for sure!  Glad you liked it.
 Follow me for more diamonds in the rough.