Author Topic: NES cart collection shelving  (Read 18752 times)

NES cart collection shelving
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »
My NES cart collection has grown rapidly in the past year and well beyond the capacity of my TV stand (almost 50 games).

I'm looking to shelve them in a way that each cart is separated, so that removing one to play won't make the entire stack fall or lean. Aligning them horizontally or vertically doesn't really matter to me. I'm thinking along the lines of those old plastic molded CD jewel case shelves with the small divider slats for each case, only NES cart-sized.

Suggestions? Thanks!

matt

Re: NES cart collection shelving
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:58:05 pm »
I've been really looking into a better storage solution. I may just go with something like:

I've also been looking into something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Rails-for-Cassettes-DVD/dp/B00097BVBQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1293472043&sr=8-8

Possibly mod them into an existing shelf system.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:09:00 pm »
I've thought about storage bins like that in an archival sense, but really I want my carts on display. I love it when friends come over and scramble to pick out their old favorite!

Those cassette rails might work. Are tapes about the same width as NES carts? If that's the case I bet there are plenty of options in thrift stores. Hmm...

scott

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:35:44 pm »
An NES box is about and inch thick, while the cart itself is slightly thicker than a dvd case, I believe.

Those rails might work nicely for either
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »
@ matt

pic looks familiar.... you frequent NeoGaf? also what is the model # of those sterilite bins?

I dig this setup (below), but I can't seem to find it on target.com anymore.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showpost.php?p=965883&postcount=8

Atlantic 3533-5009 Elf Jr. Multimedia Rack

scott

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »
That shelving unit is sexy. I hope I have a nice space to show off my collections one day. :\

scott

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:44:21 pm »

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 01:16:12 am »
> scott
> @pceslayer found this on Amazon... not the same part number though. http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-63135237-Maxsteel-BluRay-12-Tier/dp/B000A0FXCK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301020938&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Not the same, but I like how its adjustable. Hmm need to find it in black...

but that price hurts :/

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:58 am »
I have all my NES games on a bookshelf, in stacks of 15.  Any higher and they start to tip.  They are all in the black plastic sleeves, and that acts as sort of an organizer.  I can pull whatever game I want out and the rest stay in place.  You just leave the sleeve in place.  Not the most elegant looking setup, but it's cheap and they display nicely.  The hard part for me was finding enough sleeves.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:08 am »
@tpugmire I was hoping someone would say that! I may just buy up a bunch of sleeves on eBay and go from there. Thanks.

jobocan

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:33:32 am »
A bit of an old picture (I don't have that 360 anymore, and there's more games now), but here's what I have for my NES games (and whatever else I randomly stack on there). It's homemade, and quite functional, I have very little issues with taking games out and putting  them back in. The bottom part is particularly for my "good NES games" section, and the rest is for.... whatever fits :P Now I just need a better way to stack those SNES games....

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:09 am »
My carts are set up like tpugmire's, though, they are in an upright cd rack. Of course I only have a few NES games.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:51:56 am »
@jobocan Extra points for the Iron Maiden poster

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:59 am »
I'm probably going to just get a giant bookshelf for my NES games. You'd think with how many I have I'd already have a solution in place... well if you thought that, you're WRONG!!!

Here is my current setup lol

3 Sterilite 1806's (which I can't find anymore :/)

The rest... which used to be packed in a 17" monitor box...

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:33:48 pm »
I did some more hunting on the NintendoAge forums and found this picture of some shelves from Big Lots:

Think I'll head to the store tomorrow and check one out. Here's the product page: http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/bookcases-towers-1/1129#

Oh and here's a link to the thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=5&threadid=33512