Author Topic: NES cart collection shelving  (Read 18591 times)

scott

Re: NES cart collection shelving
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 08:54:32 am »
Also, I'm not sure you can do anything about it bowing. The biggest problem is the span of the shelf, they are super wide. I'd hate to see what a book collection, or CD collection does to it. Of course, for the price it's an excellent storage solution, bowing or no.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 09:10:11 am »
Yep, looks the same as mine. I still need to take a picture, but one solution I came up with was to wedge one of those plastic transparent NES cart cases with the red Nintendo logo on it into the middle of the shelf below a full shelf of carts. It's the perfect height to hold it up straight. I've got my Gameboy collection sitting in the cubby it forms. Photo will help...

darko

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 12:55:00 pm »
I use these: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/182-3299478-3151726?asin=B00362A1G2&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B00362A1G2

I have four of them (two on top of two). The only downside is that I have a lot of my games doubled up in the shelves, but it's great for a space saver.

darko

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 01:09:38 pm »
Here's what it looks like so far.

desocietas

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 01:36:35 pm »

Nice work with the console display... what do you all do in re: to dust?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »

I agree. I may need to steal this idea one day.

darko

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 02:08:43 pm »

Thanks. I actually managed to add one more shelf on the bottom since I took that picture to handle all of my handhelds. It's been working really well. Plus, they're cheap. I think the 4 shelves and the track cost about $50-65 all together. Be sure you use some really, really good anchors if you're putting consoles on them. I think the anchors I used can handle up to 100 or 200 lbs a piece.

To manage dust I use a swiffer hand held duster thing. It's great for cleaning off my plasmas as well since you can't really use much on the screen without messing up the anti-glare film.

If I can remember I'll post a pic of my whole game room sometime. That's about half of it. It's a good sized space for what I need but I have an old SDTV to the left of the Panny that I to hook up anything pre-hdmi (other than the Wii) which takes up a lot of potential shelf space. Eventually I'm going have a built-in made to house everything.

darko

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »
Yep, looks the same as mine. I still need to take a picture, but one solution I came up with was to wedge one of those plastic transparent NES cart cases with the red Nintendo logo on it into the middle of the shelf below a full shelf of carts. It's the perfect height to hold it up straight. I've got my Gameboy collection sitting in the cubby it forms. Photo will help...

If you guys using that cd rack from Big Lots put on the back piece you could just tack a few nails across the back along the shelves. That should fix the bowing issue. I know that backing stuff isn't that strong but as long as you have say, 4 nails across each shelve the weight distribution should be enough to keep them from bowing/the nails ripping out.

The bowing issue is one reason why I went with the shelving I did.

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »
Can you tell us where you got the shelves with the consoles on it? The shelf I'm using for my consoles is too damn tall as its a old ass bookshelf.

If not I'm just gonna go to home depot this weekend and make one! lol

Thanks. I actually managed to add one more shelf on the bottom since I took that picture to handle all of my handhelds. It's been working really well. Plus, they're cheap. I think the 4 shelves and the track cost about $50-65 all together. Be sure you use some really, really good anchors if you're putting consoles on them. I think the anchors I used can handle up to 100 or 200 lbs a piece.

To manage dust I use a swiffer hand held duster thing. It's great for cleaning off my plasmas as well since you can't really use much on the screen without messing up the anti-glare film.

If I can remember I'll post a pic of my whole game room sometime. That's about half of it. It's a good sized space for what I need but I have an old SDTV to the left of the Panny that I to hook up anything pre-hdmi (other than the Wii) which takes up a lot of potential shelf space. Eventually I'm going have a built-in made to house everything.

darko

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:59 pm »
Can you tell us where you got the shelves with the consoles on it? The shelf I'm using for my consoles is too damn tall as its a old ass bookshelf.

If not I'm just gonna go to home depot this weekend and make one! lol

Sure.

Funny you mentioned Home Depot...

4 of these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100118601/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

8 of these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100067997/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202858029

2 of these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100048156/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

All in black of course.

I'm actually considering mounting my TV on the wall (already have an extra wall mount) and running the same thing below the TV so it looks like a nice custom tv unit. The one I have now is nice but it's glass and that kind of kills the all black wood vibe I have going on.

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 03:25:37 pm »
If you guys using that cd rack from Big Lots put on the back piece you could just tack a few nails across the back along the shelves. That should fix the bowing issue. I know that backing stuff isn't that strong but as long as you have say, 4 nails across each shelve the weight distribution should be enough to keep them from bowing/the nails ripping out.

Thought about doing that, but yes the weak backing board made me weary. I'll give it a shot on one of the shelves and see how it goes.

darko

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 09:19:38 am »

Thought about doing that, but yes the weak backing board made me weary. I'll give it a shot on one of the shelves and see how it goes.

Cool. Let me know how it goes. I was going to pick one up to store DVDs.

scott

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 09:27:38 am »
I must be OCD, but if I did that shelving idea for my consoles, I'd have to paint the rail as close to the wall color as possible. ha

darko

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:11 am »
I must be OCD, but if I did that shelving idea for my consoles, I'd have to paint the rail as close to the wall color as possible. ha

Oh, I'm pretty OCD about that stuff too. If I wasn't going for all black shelving it would have probably required some paint.

scott

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:24 pm »

If that doesn't work, you might have to make some strips of thin wood and nail through that. But I think going through the backer should suffice.