Author Topic: Arcade 1Up Machines  (Read 849 times)

Flashback2012

Arcade 1Up Machines
« on: May 02, 2021, 11:40:46 am »
Posted a comment about this in the Unrelated Thread that got zero traction so I figured I'd put something here. I'm rather surprised there aren't any entries for these yet considering how long they've been out. As I mentioned in that thread, I scooped up one of the Pac-Man 40th Anniversary Editions and want to add but I'd like to know where exactly to add it to. Should it have it's own section or would they full under the generic Arcade umbrella?

Any feedback is appreciated.  ;)

dhaabi

Re: Arcade 1Up Machines
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »
Actually, there are already a few existing entries. I believe they should be categorized as Arcade Cabinets while following a "Arcade1Up TitleName" format.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:23:04 pm by dhaabi »

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 01:41:19 pm »
If I'm being honest, these kind of/sort of fall under both categories, but yeah, they should go under "arcade".

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:16:15 pm »
Actually, there are already a few existing entries. I believe they should be categorized as Arcade Cabinets while following a "Arcade1Up TitleName" format.

The Hell...I specifically looked up the same thing and would not get any results.  :o

If I'm being honest, these kind of/sort of fall under both categories, but yeah, they should go under "arcade".

I was waiting on the PTB to determine if they were arcades or dedicated consoles but since dhaabi pointed out they're in arcades already I suppose the precedent is already set.  ;)

As far as naming goes, would it work better as they currently are, such as 'Arcade 1Up Pac-Man', or would it be better if they were like Pac-Man (Arcade1up)?  :P

dhaabi

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 02:22:04 pm »
As far as naming goes, would it work better as they currently are, such as 'Arcade 1Up Pac-Man', or would it be better if they were like Pac-Man (Arcade1up)?  :P

If you look at the history of some of the entries, you can see where "TitleName (Arcade1Up)" has been previously been used but has since been updated. I imagine that using "Arcade1Up TitleName" is best.

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 02:30:52 pm »

If you look at the history of some of the entries, you can see where "TitleName (Arcade1Up)" has been previously been used but has since been updated. I imagine that using "Arcade1Up TitleName" is best.

LOL so it was renamed to the way I suggested then re-renamed to how it currently is a few days later.  :o

That's fair, leaving well enough alone.  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 10:38:06 am »
Didn't see this post before. The reason why these are named like this as opposed to the typical naming convention used for arcade cabinets (Game Name (Cabinet type)) is because these Arcade1Up machines are the same type of machine as a retail emulator cabinet. Those have already existed in the database (and IRL) for many years, so their names use that format.

retail releases or cabinet kits for multigames
For cabinets that are sold at retail with emulators, such as Big Electronic Games Konami Arcade Machine:
https://vgcollect.com/item/88008

Now for whether there should be a space in the name (Arcade1Up vs Arcade 1Up), the boxes are inconclusive. When these were renamed, I had to dig through all of the pictures of these cabs on Ebay to determine what was correct but found it was used both with and without the space. In the manuals do not have a print version of the name, only Tastemakers.
On their website, their copyright at the bottom does not have the space:
© 2021 Arcade1Up.

So the non-space version was what was chosen.