Author Topic: Games you beat the same day you bought them?  (Read 1611 times)

thewelshman

Re: Games you beat the same day you bought them?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 03:59:52 pm »
I remember one summer my mom bought a game for me, which was rare since we didn't have a lot of money. For some reason I picked Fatal Fury 2 even though I wasn't that big of a fan of fighting games nor was very good at them. 10 hours later I beat the game with the 6th of 8 characters you could choose from and learned what buyer's remorse was.

Apart from crappy little trophy buffer games the only ones I can think of is "The Wolf Among Us."

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »
It happens ocassionaly with especially retro styled arcade games except for allot of shootemups or some really tough older games in general :o

For modern games unless I would speedrun them hardcore all routes mapped out there is no way I'd beat them in less than 10 hours.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 05:27:22 pm »
If I exempt short indie games and visual novels... I beat Catherine: Full Body the day it came in. It's about 10 hours long per playthrough? I forget exactly. Helped that I was obsessed with the original and knew all the puzzle techniques so I got through on the quicker side of average.

I also bought a copy of Spongebob Squarepants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman for nostalgia reasons and obliterated it the day it arrived. My husband was kind of shocked as he watched me relentlessly play. XD I was so stoked since I couldn't beat it as a kid.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 08:20:46 pm »
I beat The Little Mermaid the Christmas my brother got it. It’s still a fun game.
Other than that, I can’t think of any I beat the same day. There are a few I beat in the first sitting, but not the same day I picked them up.

telekill

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 08:09:57 am »
There have been two. One was my own doing and the last marathon that I did due to having to adult ever since.

- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) - I had got this day one and I was lucky enough that my wife already had plans to take the kiddo to her mom's for the day. I sat down and started playing and was immediately hooked. I took a couple food breaks and a couple bathroom breaks, but the rest of the time was spent enjoying the adventure. I had the game beat by the time my wife returned that evening. It took 7 1/2 to 8 hours on my first playthrough. The series became my favorite and you can see the shadowbox I created for the series in my Gallery here on my VGC profile. It's featuring Drake's Fortune and holds the exact same complete copy I preordered. Sadly, this was the last time I got to do anything like this as adulting took over.

- Aladdin (Game Gear) - Now, unlike Uncharted, this was a complete disappointment. I had played the Genesis game at a friend's house and knew that usually the Game Gear version was pretty close to the 16bit counter part in gameplay. I figured it would be cool to have another good platformer on the go and opted for the Game Gear version for my birthday. It didn't play much at all like the Genesis game and I beat it in 30 minutes. THIRTY MINUTES! I was 13 years old and I was pissed.

pzeke

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 06:25:38 pm »
Pretty much Sin & Punishment back when I got it off of VC on Wii. I know well there are others, but I honestly don't remember; I have certainly beaten many games within the week that I've gotten them.

Other than that, I recall way back when I nearly beat Fighting Force the same day I rented it, but the last boss handed my ass to me.

- Aladdin (Game Gear)

Reading your comment jolted my memory into remembering that I beat Aladdin for the SNES the same day I rented it. Granted, I think I took a break or two and returned to the game using passwords, but I still finished it on the day I got it. I didn't get the special ending, though.

Some games are short enough to complete in single sittings though. I think it took me less time to 100% Megamind for the 360 than it did to watch the movie.

It's all about presentation.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

megasilverx1

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 12:18:07 am »
I know for sure I beat Mega Man II (Game Boy) the same day I got it since that game is so short and easy. Other than that, I can't think of any others.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 12:59:36 am »

It's all about presentation.

Which the game missed the page from the movie and avoided altogether, with the exception of the boss Psycho Delic, a Pimp skeleton with hallucination powers voiced by Kieth David.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2021, 05:30:01 am »
Only ones i can think off are both power ranger games on the megadrive/genesis.

Power rangers the movie i got  the day before christmas and i've beat it atleast 5 times with my nephew during christmas evening. The other power ranger game if memory serves me right was a horrible vs fighter that was incridible easy i'm sure it could be beaten in under an hour.

Another one i can think off is Nba street, i meanly beat it in one day because my memory card was either full or i diden't have one yet can't really remember yet.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 11:40:03 am »
None for me! I'm at that age and point in my life where sometimes I find it even hard to PLAY the game I just got, let alone finish it!

I haven't been so excited for a game in a really long time that I felt like "I'm going to take off work the day this comes out and play it until I can't play anymore/finish it!"

maybe some day.