Author Topic: LeoneFamily's VGC Database Work  (Read 1940 times)

tripredacus

Re: LeoneFamily's VGC Database Work
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 10:37:41 am »
In a case where an item's box is known, it should be put as the front art. The only way it wouldn't was if the outer box is generic (say this guy sells many things and uses this one box size for multiple things) and the thing inside the box has some other packaging (such as a plastic bag) then the plastic bag is considered the container. Then an image of the item in its original bag can be the front art.

It is rare for this situation to occur. It is usually third-party or bootleg items, notably those generic controllers you can find on Ebay or Alibaba or wherever.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2022, 01:23:16 pm »
Thanks both for your replies. Controller Adapter is actually that guy's registered company name. Therefore, I will list it under Controller Adapter SNES-2-3DO (Black/Gold). Since the controller adapter logo is on that "shipping box" I'll count it as the actual item's box.

There's 4 different color variants for this item. Should I add them all separately? I spoke with the guy who builds these accessories and he told me that all the color variants share the same shipping box, the only way to tell the variant without opening the box is to look at the shipping label where the color is indicated.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 10:09:38 am »
You can add them if you want.
A note however. the colors should only be capitalised if those words appear on the box or some included thing like the paperwork. If there is no text on the physical item regarding the colors, you can still use them but should be in lowercase.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 12:35:10 am »
V-Rally Championship Edition (PAL) on the PS1. I have my hands on two copies where everything is the same except the font is slightly different. The left copy has a bolder font than the one on the right. Item #87097 is what would be considered the "Bold" font while we don't have anything in the DB for the "Light" font. Would this be worth making 2 entries named (Bold font) and (Light font) or is the difference too light to separate them?

Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

dhaabi

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 09:29:43 am »
V-Rally Championship Edition (PAL) on the PS1. I have my hands on two copies where everything is the same except the font is slightly different. The left copy has a bolder font than the one on the right. Item #87097 is what would be considered the "Bold" font while we don't have anything in the DB for the "Light" font. Would this be worth making 2 entries named (Bold font) and (Light font) or is the difference too light to separate them?

The variation is substantial enough to create a new entry. However, I'd recommend submitting scans of the items and relaying any spine number or jewel case differences for others to see too. It doesn't hurt to have a second or third pair of eyes, because small details easily could have been missed. Also, were these items purchased sealed? If so, do their contents vary?

After searching through eBay, about 50 unique listings for the items at hand appear, but only one relates to the emboldened text variant. Unfortunately, though, the listing features little image information. I had the same luck with Wallapop where about 10 listings appear, but they're all for the thin text variant.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 09:31:44 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 10:19:23 am »
I can't tell that difference, but I do come across some that have and some that don't have a barcode on the back cover.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115938583883
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296109265405
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134710012934

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 10:27:30 pm »
If there was any other way to distinguish them I would have done it this way. But anyways, just to be safe, I just did a full detailed examination again and I can still confirm that every text is the exact same everywhere. The disc is the exact same too and they have the same manual. The bold/thin font doesn't just apply to the front art, it's also different on the side spine, back art, and even on the back text of the manual.