Author Topic: Nintendo 64 turns 25 years old.  (Read 2224 times)

mrkonasoni

Nintendo 64 turns 25 years old.
« on: June 25, 2021, 04:10:56 pm »
|UUDDLRLR + Start 》》|

Nintendo 64 turns 25 years old.
Just like a bunch of people I had one when I was younger and at the time I thought the console was something else, from the graphics, design, controller and even the quirky name, the console felt pretty special.

On Youtube is possible find a bunch of pretty solid documentary about the development for the console, the life-span and the start for the development of Project Dolphin that eventually became the favorite by many, Nintendo Gamecube (GCN), I absolutely recommend searching a couple if you have the time, just like most retro consoles the development story for the console, the unveil, expectations, and stories are some of the most interesting stuff I ever read for video games.

Finally about controversial subjects, I don't care at all if the PSX or Sega Saturn had more games, I like the three consoles and I consider the three had quality games that are worth playing, that being said, I think the library for the console is kinda underrated and it's possible find a good volume of quality games that are always omitted when people discuss about the console.

Some my favorite games aside the Nintendo and Rare stuff are:

- Hybrid Heaven
- Castlevania 64
- Mystical Ninja
- Goemon Great Adventure
- Rakuga Kids
- Clay Fighters 63 and third. (I just think is silly and fun)
- ShadowGate 64
- Chameleon Twist 1+2
- Earthworm Jim 3D (I don't think is THAT bad and has charm)
- Tetrisphere
- Wetrix
- Lode-Runner 3D
- Gex 64
- Rayman 2 The Great Escape
- Tonic Trouble
- Mortal Kombat 4
- Mace 64
- Space Station Silicon Valley

Happy 25th anniversary.
Get N or Get out!

Just like me I hope this console and its games keep inspiring and exciting just like the first time in 1996.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:13:17 pm by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Re: Nintendo 64 turns 25 years old.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:31:58 pm »
Nintendo 64 is still one of my favorite consoles even with the issues it has.  It was the first console where it was "my" system, actually getting a brand new console as a kid and its games have been some of my favorites of all time.  Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and there's other smaller games I was into also.  It's got a small library, but it has fun batch of games.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 12:10:41 am »
I get a lot of shit for it, but the N64 is still my favorite Nintendo console. Got one along with Super Mario 64 on Xmas Eve 1996 and it literally changed my life. I was a pretty casual gamer prior to getting one, but it really got me super into gaming. Used to play it all day during summer vacations and holiday break. Countless hours were spent playing games like Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye 007, and Star Fox 64 with friends. I also probably spent a small fortune renting a ton of games for it during the late 90s too.

I have so much love and nostalgia for the N64 and I doubt I'll ever love a Nintendo console more.

Here are my Top 5 games for it.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Sin and Punishment
4. Banjo Kazooie
5. Goldeneye 007

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 02:56:39 am »
The N64 is certainly in my nostalgia zone as it was my console during my middle school years. I never had a super huge game collection, but I played a bunch of different games thanks to blockbuster rentals, and the games I did have got quite a few hours of playtime.

My top 5:

1) Super Smash Bros.
2) Harvest Moon 64
3) Mario Party 3
4) Pokemon Stadium 2
5) Banjo-Kazooie

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 01:12:57 pm »
I don't have to much nostalgia for the N64 and while it's library is small it does have quite a selection of high quality titles that sure gives the ps1 a run for it's money.

The ps1 has quantity and 2d games plus the huge suprise factor in terms of library and while the N64's library is small with few suprises it's really tough to find something on the ps1 that is equal in the quality department aside from it's amazing 2d selection.

Also, Sony mascottes such as spyro or crash bandicoot just are budget bin replacments compared to Nintendo's stellar roster of mascots. The games while enjoyable where a far cry compared to Nintendo classics aswell for my taste anyway. enjoyable regardless not to mention it still baffles me how sony never made Klonoa into one of it's mascots.

I do however love sony's 2D games selection but I really can't put ps1 over N64 or the opposite.

Top 5

Mario 64
Goemon 2/great adventure
Goemon mystical ninja
sin & punishment
Starfox 64
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:30:57 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 05:57:54 pm »
25 years on, I’m still not really sure how I feel about the N64.
Did I enjoy some of the games on it? Sure.
However, there’s a few things that keep me from liking it as much as a lot of other people do.

For example, I was never a big fan of the weird controller. Also I never liked the muddy low-res textures that made the graphics look (IMO) inferior to its contemporaries. For that matter, the graphics just looked blurry in general. Plus the decision to stick with cartridges made each game more expensive.

A few games that everyone hails as classics just didn’t resonate with me. I thought Goldeneye was just OK, and Super Mario 64 was above average. Starfox 64, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Turok, and Killer Instinct Gold are just….average. So my personal list of favorite games is a little different than usual (in no particular order):

1. WWF No Mercy
2. Tetrisphere
3. NBA Hangtime
4. LoZ Ocarina of Time
5. Doom 64

Honorable mention: Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Cruisin’ World, Paper Mario

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 03:58:12 pm »

A few games that everyone hails as classics just didn’t resonate with me. I thought Goldeneye was just OK, and Super Mario 64 was above average. Starfox 64, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Turok, and Killer Instinct Gold are just….average. So my personal list of favorite games is a little different than usual (in no particular order):

I'm joking still at least mario 64 is above average

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 07:56:36 pm »
Nintendo’s worst console ever, and boy did they deserve to get their asses kicked by Sony.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 08:47:16 pm »
I'd say that title belong to the wii U easily. I wouldn't miss it

Very uninteresting library of games to top it off even smaller than the N64.

The games where acceptable but nothing stood out. quite a boring generation. The n64 has legendary titles the wii U has nothing

soso mario kart soso smash bros

The worst 3d mario ever. No new zelda until the wii u was basicly death near the very end in wich it doesn't count anymore.
3rd party support non existent. other nintendo ip's on wii u where mediocre to bad.

xenoblade x is the only reason why I'd revisit the wii u It's pretty much worthless otherwise. It's also nice for wii games but that doesn't count

single Gamecube zelda ports at full price with zero gamecube controller support while we have the cube adapter for smash

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 05:27:27 am by sworddude »

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 10:46:30 pm »
Nintendo’s worst console ever, and boy did they deserve to get their asses kicked by Sony.

The Wii U and Virtual Boy are like...right there lol I mean I got a soft spot for the Wii U, weird how I have sorta the most love for kinda Nintendo's worst performing systems, but the Nintendo 64, even with its jank controller has some very iconic games, while the Wii U is gonna be forever known as a stepping stone for the Switch.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 06:11:31 am »
Virtual boy ain't notable enough to count I'd say

It was rather an experiment than an actual console that people actually experienced. Sure it was on the market but that's not saying much

The story behind the creator of it, now that's actually interesting.

He had massive succes with the gameboy classic However the guy died in a very obsecure way. There where some problems with his car so he stepped outside to see what's up.  Once outside the guy was hit by 2 passing cars from both sides.

While the guy gave succes to Nintendo with the gameboy. He also made the failure that was the virtual boy. A popular rumour being that the yakuza was behind it with them owning a decent size stock of the company wanting to get rid of him as fast as possible after his invention  :o
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:36:13 am by sworddude »

telekill

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 10:27:57 am »
I wouldn't call it Nintendo's worst as I believe the Wii-U is the worst, but N64 had one of the worst controller designs. None of my friends knew how they should hold it and frankly when you have to change how you hold a controller based on what game you're playing.... that's a bit odd. Then it was poorly built with the analog stick often breaking.

Controller aside, it was a solid system but had few games that really interested me. I will give them props for Goldeneye and Nintendo did a great job brining Zelda into 3D.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 10:29:12 am »

I'd say that's exactly why it should count.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 10:51:21 am »

The Wii U and Virtual Boy are like...right there lol I mean I got a soft spot for the Wii U, weird how I have sorta the most love for kinda Nintendo's worst performing systems, but the Nintendo 64, even with its jank controller has some very iconic games, while the Wii U is gonna be forever known as a stepping stone for the Switch.

Wii U was great hardware and had great 1st-party support, as shown by Switch milking it's library dry. The 3rd-party support really sucked, though.

telekill

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 12:10:28 pm »

I'd say that's exactly why it should count.

I don't know. I count Virtual Boy as a "handheld" or portable even though it was designed to need a table in front of the player. I count handhelds as entirely different from consoles; making Virtual Boy out of the running for worst console. It's definitely their worst system in general though. I think it has a library of what.... 25-30 games? Then the headaches after 15 minutes of play time really sucked.