Author Topic: Opinion of the New Switch Model  (Read 2331 times)

shatterstar69

Opinion of the New Switch Model
« on: July 08, 2021, 05:38:59 am »
I am not a big handheld player. I own the GBA, the PSP and PS Vita but I honestly don't play them at all except on vacations or long road trips.  I have never owned or played the Nintendo DS.  I exclusively play my Nintendo Switch in docked mode so I was disappointed to see the only real extra feature being the OLED screen (something the Vita had day one back in 2011).  What is your opinion of this new model?  Frankly I am going to pass on it.
Time to make the donuts!

telekill

Re: Opinion of the New Switch Model
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 08:05:40 am »
I have a launch edition Switch for the family console. Regardless of the great third party support the system is getting, I only buy family friendly games and they're often 2+ players. That means that my Switch is docked 90% of the time. The 10% that it's used as a handheld is when my teenager grabs it from the dock and sits on the couch to play some Animal Crossing. I also don't sub to the Nintendo online service as I don't want my kids online. Frankly, all gaming communities have a toxic side. It happens online and that's why my kids aren't allowed on social media either.

Back to the topic at hand though... the new OLED Switch's added features are completely useless to me. The slightly better screen? Don't care. It would be used 10% of the time by one person in the family. Ethernet port in the dock? Don't care as it would be used to needlessly update games that can easily do that with the wi-fi. I hear you also loose one of the USB ports on the dock which would make it a bit more difficult to use the Gamecube controller adapter as it requires 2 USB ports. Then lastly, 64GB internal space... yay? I have a 200GB micro SD card in my Switch and it has Sonic Mania on it and some demos. What a waste of space.

No... this will be a pass from me and I think this model is half assed and Nintendo is being greedy as hell. Adding $50 to the price tag of incredibly old tech should be seen as a slap to the face of Nintendo fans. They should be dropping the price of the original model to $200-$250 and make the new OLED model $250-$300. As it stands at $350... the Switch OLED is only $50 less than a digital only PS5 (if you can find one).

That said, I know this new model will sell like hot cakes... at least for a while. I know plenty of Nintendo fans that buy every iteration of every handheld from them. This isn't a new practice from Nintendo... we've seen it with every handheld of theirs. Nintendo fans have been groomed to expect this and eat it up.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:09:46 am by telekill »

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 08:38:38 am »
I was kinda expecting it to be stronger, like a next gen switch, to get closer to XB Series X and PS5 for more games to be able to be on it.

telly

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 09:12:10 am »
It's certainly an underwhelming upgrade, but personally I'm okay with it. I thought they would might something like the "New" 3DS and beef up the performance a little bit while also releasing some games that would only work on the new model.

But because they aren't upgrading the performance, the battery life, the joy-cons, anything, I have no hang ups about passing on it.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 09:28:06 am »
It would be nice to see people not buy it so Nintendo can stop getting away with doing the bare minimum but that won't happen. Instead people will be paying $500+ for it on eBay because it's new.

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 10:29:10 am »
Underwhelming is the understatement of the year.

Nintendo nintendoing it up as usual.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 10:51:41 am »
I play mine in docked mode anyways, so no need for me to get one for a screen upgrade. And I already have a memory card in it for expansion.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 11:52:09 am »
Everyone and their mothers swore up and down that the Switch Pro was happening without any sort of merit based on rumors and now this happens and people are butthurt. Expectations were set too high.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 11:53:14 am »
We all got hyped up for the leaks of this supposedly switch pro.

Even indi game devs like eyden chronicles where anticipating some upgrade on Nintendo hardware.

Leaks are going to be leaks. If the leaks didn't happen we'd all just look at it as just another model with some minor QOL upgrades the expectation for a pro version wouldn't even exist. These leaks really had people banking on double dipping, this being the must have version of the console.

It is however kinda amusing that people sold their older model switch before an announcement for such a minor upgrade some even tried to buy the old model back and couldn't find it at the price they sold it for. So many people went all in on the switch pro The reactions of so many people have been priceless.

It would be nice to see people not buy it so Nintendo can stop getting away with doing the bare minimum but that won't happen. Instead people will be paying $500+ for it on eBay because it's new.

I've seen people getting excited for the plastic stand. some Nintendo fans will buy everything  ::)

Still this was never intended to be double dip material. Nintendo just wanted to release a new model for people who didn't own the console yet, that's their target audience. in a way it's respectable because it means the older models are still valuable and not inferior.

People who bought early don't need to buy a newer version not the worst thing if you'd ask me not everyone wants to buy a console twice to play exclusives within the same generation. new 3ds especially with them exclusive games if you had the og it feels a bit shit being forced to buy the console again for those few exclusives. The feeling of being ripped off. exclusives within the same generation for the more powerfull console only ain't the best thing if you'd ask me. better specs and load times etc are fine but exclusives making the older console unusable no thanks. your locking out the majority of your playerbase than.

It wasn't that succesfull either considering how few exclusive games they made for it. way more games where made that where compatible with both in final  years. aside from xenoblade and fire emblem warriors I can't remember wich other new 3ds games existed

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 01:20:38 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 02:07:37 pm »
Yeah, I don't think any of the "New" 3DS only games were that great or ran/looked that well (I've only played Xenoblade Chronicles 3D). But, the processing power was helpful for other games, and the added c-stick had some functionality as well.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 02:07:55 pm »
Honestly doesn't do much for me. I play my Switch docked to my TV 98% of the time so the OLED screen means very little to me. Definitely not going to get one anytime soon.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 02:42:15 pm »
Yeah, I don't think any of the "New" 3DS only games were that great or ran/looked that well (I've only played Xenoblade Chronicles 3D). But, the processing power was helpful for other games, and the added c-stick had some functionality as well.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Fire Emblem Warriors are basically the only two worth a damn; however, they were ported to the Switch, so...

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 02:59:46 pm »

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Fire Emblem Warriors are basically the only two worth a damn; however, they were ported to the Switch, so...

Were there more than just these two because? I didnt really pay attention to the New 3DS exclusive titles so these are the primary 2 I am aware of.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 03:33:35 pm »
Were there more than just these two because? I didnt really pay attention to the New 3DS exclusive titles so these are the primary 2 I am aware of.
There were tons of garbage New 3DS exclusives on the eshop because unity supported the New 3DS but not the old 3DS

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 04:10:07 pm »
Almost entirely pointless and unnecessary is about what I'd say of it.  No one was wanting this.  I'm sure the screen will be nice, I know people use handheld alot, but it really doesn't seem worth upgrading for at all, especially when it costs more than the base Switch.  I just want better performance, and not in a way that some people think Nintendo has to directly compete power wise with Sony and Xbox, I just want to play Breath of the Wild without the framerate tanking in certain areas lol