Author Topic: Replacement UMD drive for PSP-2000?  (Read 1915 times)

scott

Replacement UMD drive for PSP-2000?
« on: July 10, 2021, 12:55:29 pm »
Hey all, my PSP's UMD drive is making some God awful racket when ever it spins up to load. Has anyone had any experience with replacement drives or should I just look into finding another system?

Thanks in advance!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Re: Replacement UMD drive for PSP-2000?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 05:42:25 pm »
One of my PSP 3000 is doing the same. Personally I didn't bother to fix because of the fact I own another working PSP 3000. Best solution is to just start ripping your UMD ISOs and load them to a memory stick. Not only you eliminate the need for UMDs, you also get faster load times. Look for CFW 6.61 Pro C-2. It has all you need to rip your isos and to play them. Unless your drive completely doesn't want to read the UMDs at all, then just download them I guess.

I have replaced a screen but never a UMD drive however the drive replacement looks much easier than the screen.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

scott

Re: Replacement UMD drive for PSP-2000?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:05:50 pm »
I might look into that. I'm not without mechanical skills, but from what I read it's a pretty involved process to change the UMD drive out.

I guess it comes down to cost of a large enough memory card vs the drive. My current memory card is very tiny, as I only ever intended to use it for saves.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread