Author Topic: PS5 is FINALLY getting Internal SSD Expansion!  (Read 3103 times)

telekill

PS5 is FINALLY getting Internal SSD Expansion!
« on: July 29, 2021, 09:03:50 am »
When PS4 (yes PS4) launched with a 500GB HDD, I questioned if it would be enough space back in 2013. It was not. I upgrade to a 1TB pretty quick as it was easy enough to do myself. That still wasn't enough, so I bought a 4TB external. Finally... it felt like the glorious days prior to the PS3/360 era. After the initial install, I didn't have to worry about space anymore or the time to reinstall. It was simply done. Pop a game in and play. Fantastic.

Then the PS5 was announced as having only 650GB (roughly) of usable internal SSD space... in 2020. Gross. Just.... gross. With that horrible information announced, Sony decided to throw in a light at the end of the tunnel stating that internal SSD upgrades would be available and that it's easier to access than even on PS4. Ok... sure.

Nearly a year later... Sony is finally moving forward with the ability to install SSD upgrades into the PS5 starting with their next beta of the OS. There's even a new support page detailing how to install an SSD. You can see some of the images in the link below:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/07/sony_rolling_out_ps5_internal_ssd_access_in_next_beta_update

Playstation specific support page:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

Of course, there's a catch. You can't just add in any SSD you want.... "To meet the requirements of the PS5 hardware, the M.2 SSD must use the "PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD" interface and have a capacity of at least 250GB. The largest internal SSD you'll be able to install is a 4TB one. It also must meet a certain form factor and have a sequential read speed of 5,500MB/s or faster." - PushSquare.

Sony confirmed that the Seagate FireCuda 530 series of SSDs are compatible with PS5. These released last month, I believe, and are not cheap by any margin. In US dollars, the 500GB is $150, 1TB is $255, 2TB is $515 and the 4TB runs $1000. Those are the versions that come with heatinks. Those without heatsinks are available but are basically the same cost, and with gaming, heatsinks are going to be best.

As for me... there aren't many PS5 specific games piling up for me at the moment so I have the time afforded to me to wait for price drops. I'll be getting that 4TB model with the heatsink installed eventually... but not for even half the current asking price. I'm patient.

What are your plans on upgrading your PS5's internal SSD space? Is the prepackaged 650GB enough for you?

tripredacus

Re: PS5 is FINALLY getting Internal SSD Expansion!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 09:51:21 am »
Then the PS5 was announced as having only 650GB (roughly) of usable internal SSD space... in 2020. Gross. Just.... gross.

I find it more gross that games have become so bloated that you need so much disk space.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 09:55:18 am »
$1000 for 4TB is a steal! It's sold out so now it's probably more like $2000 now! Woo!

I have a 4TB external HDD for my PS4 that I bought new from Best Buy in 2017 for just $74.19. It also came with a $20 voucher for Shutterfly. I wonder how long it'll take for the SSD to go that low..

telekill

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 11:33:11 am »
Then the PS5 was announced as having only 650GB (roughly) of usable internal SSD space... in 2020. Gross. Just.... gross.

I find it more gross that games have become so bloated that you need so much disk space.

Totally agree on that point.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 11:12:35 pm »
Now it just needs to have a decent library
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

kashell

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 11:03:59 am »
Now it just needs to be easily purchasable, too.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 06:22:35 am »

The gripe I posted about on this forum myself a dozen or more times too. >:(

I would just roll my eyes emoji at that fact. Butt that fact  really pisses me off, and makes me never want to purchase a 8th or 9th generation video game console, like at all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:24:43 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 03:06:17 am »
I'm in no hurry at all. I have a 4TB HDD plugged in the back of the console at all times. I usually play one main game and then have a few other online games I play with friends on weekends. So I keep the online games on the internal SDD and replace the main game I'm playing upon starting and finishing... it's pretty simple really.

For example, my current internal SDD:
Main Game - Bugsnax (PS5)

Online Games:
Fortnite (PS5)
GTA V Online
Far Cry 5
Zombie Army 4
Onrush

It did bother me at first but now you can at least transfer PS5 games to an external HDD for storage purposes, I'm pretty comfortable.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 03:10:19 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 05:14:33 am »
This is bullshit if SONY want to sell more games on their platform, they better issue the order to get these companies to compress their file sizes, WTF does a 16 bit game have any business taking up 5-10 GB it should only be 10 MB maximum for a 16 bit video game, new and old.

If only they could fit a PS1 style game onto 700MB like they did way back in 1995, today, a game like that would probably be 25+ GB that is bullshit bullshit bullshit, compress the damn thing  >:(

LOL Gran Turismo 2 have over 500 cars different modes and tracks and fits on a CD that was 300 MB less then 1GB
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:07:14 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 05:21:07 am »
Screw this upscaling crap a PS3 and an HDMI hookup for a PS1 game would do just fine, and if that is not enough the smooth the textures, like the PS3 could? it makes the graphics look better a lot on a lot of PS1 games without all that Massive upscaling  GB taking shit

Or better yet, Don't get a 400,000,000 K tv and maybe it would look just fine ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:25:47 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 09:54:51 am »
This is bullshit if SONY want to sell more games on their platform, they better issue the order to get these companies to compress their file sizes, WTF does a 16 bit game have any business taking up 5-10 GB it should only be 10 MB maximum for a 16 bit video game, new and old.

The files are already compressed. The reasons the games are at such sizes is for a variety of reasons. The most obvious is that the game includes assets for multiple different configurations. Such as if you are using the top end graphics setting or the low end. Also it may have duplicate video files based on the supported resolutions, and may have duplicate audio files (or streams) for different speaker modes and/or bitrates. So all of those files for a configuration you are not using are present in the game data. There is also the situation that occurs in modern software development and that is the usage of packages. A particular game or application that uses packages will have resources included that are unused for the target hardware. This is where software development has gone, where a developer is not programming everything themselves anymore, and are using pre-packaged resources. Also happens in web development. Another example may be that the game data will include files for other hardware completely, such as different consoles, or Mac/Linux/Windows or Android, etc.

There are no modern 16-bit games on current gen because none of those systems are 16-bit. They may look like they have 16-bit graphics or sound, but that is all being "emulated" and those programs will have the same bloat situations as modern games.

The bloat from packaged development platforms are not a new thing. I can think of one real world example where a co-worker had written a program that would read a MAC Address from a computer and then submit it to a URL. The original program was written in PHP, was 32-bit only and the file size was 41 MB. I rewrote the program in AutoIT, ran on 32-bit or 64-bit and the file size was 812 KB. Now that is a situation where the wrong tool (PHP) was used to write a program, but you can be certain that if VisualStudio was used, it would still be much larger than 812 KB because of all of the extra junk that is included during compile.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 11:55:41 am »

The files are already compressed. The reasons the games are at such sizes is for a variety of reasons. The most obvious is that the game includes assets for multiple different configurations. Such as if you are using the top end graphics setting or the low end. Also it may have duplicate video files based on the supported resolutions, and may have duplicate audio files (or streams) for different speaker modes and/or bitrates. So all of those files for a configuration you are not using are present in the game data. There is also the situation that occurs in modern software development and that is the usage of packages. A particular game or application that uses packages will have resources included that are unused for the target hardware. This is where software development has gone, where a developer is not programming everything themselves anymore, and are using pre-packaged resources. Also happens in web development. Another example may be that the game data will include files for other hardware completely, such as different consoles, or Mac/Linux/Windows or Android, etc.

There are no modern 16-bit games on current gen because none of those systems are 16-bit. They may look like they have 16-bit graphics or sound, but that is all being "emulated" and those programs will have the same bloat situations as modern games.

The bloat from packaged development platforms are not a new thing. I can think of one real world example where a co-worker had written a program that would read a MAC Address from a computer and then submit it to a URL. The original program was written in PHP, was 32-bit only and the file size was 41 MB. I rewrote the program in AutoIT, ran on 32-bit or 64-bit and the file size was 812 KB. Now that is a situation where the wrong tool (PHP) was used to write a program, but you can be certain that if VisualStudio was used, it would still be much larger than 812 KB because of all of the extra junk that is included during compile.

PC games back in the 1990's had and required multiple configurations also, I don't see how that should have a new effect on file sizes.

However the 2nd point I think is spot on, developers are getting lazy they want more money without doing any work. I am not a programmer, but I think that if any modern game developers want my money they better do something to slim down those file sizes, more research needs to go into those games to make them smaller and more compatible with new equipment, then again why not just upgrade something like a PlayStation 3, it would be cheaper and SONY could still make their money, why another console, and I just won't buy a PS4 or A PS5, modern games sound like fun but I'm not renting a game AND I am not paying that much money for bloatware :-\

I'ts just lazy and bad planning in my opinion, either that Or SONY want you to buy 12 PS5's if you want to have a collection of PS4 PS5 games to play without requiring installing/uninstalling then over and over again.

then you buy 12 PS5's and give SONY all that money only to lose access to all your games when the next generation comes on the market, it's stupid why are gamers not fighting back.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:01:50 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 11:59:50 am »
PC games back in the 1990's had and required multiple configurations also, I don't see how that should have a new effect on file sizes.

Well to start, you didn't have Full HD or 4K resolution textures in the 1990s.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 12:02:18 pm »
true but who need those 4k tv anyway? ::)

NO APPS NEEDED

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 07:11:30 pm »
I just wish Sony could speed up the manufacturing of those machines.
Living in Japan, I've been trying to purchase a PS5 (for a fair price) since it was first announced and it's been virtually IMPOSSIBLE...