Author Topic: The Dream Trip  (Read 1077 times)

The Dream Trip
« on: September 21, 2021, 09:25:34 pm »
I think we all have that dream trip we'd love to go on some day, and I thought it might be fun to talk about what we'd love to travel and do some day.  Personally, I've never been outside of the US, I've mostly just flown back and forth, corner to corner a couple times and that's been kinda it so far, but I've long wanted to go to Japan for something like 2 decades at this point. 

Early on it was more in a "weeaboo" sort of way "Oh, I love anime! I'd love to go to Akihabara and just geek out!" but as the years have gone, watching documentaries, youtubers traveling, getting a better understanding of the countries history, it's societal issues, it's culture, kinda everything I can, it's moved away from something so narrow and into a broader interest.  I think my ideal trip would be going to Tokyo, spending some time in the city and then traveling out from there, likely by train (Never been on one), and to try and visit more places that aren't the big tourist traps...I mean some tourist traps, but I think a lot of it would be about trying to find smaller places, likely requiring a car drive.  Just spending a few weeks traveling like that would be wonderful.

Re: The Dream Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 12:19:18 am »
Mine isn't just where, but also when.

I wish I could time travel back to 1999 or 2000 and travel to Japan. I feel like the Japan, anime, video games, music, and just the world in general was really at its peak at this point. Most of the anime and videos games I cherish were very popular and brand new during this time and to be swept up in the hype in the place it originated from would be a dream come true!

But obviously since time travel is impossible (as far as we know), I'd love to just go to Japan now. Yeah, it's not nearly as cool and appealing as it would have been in my time travel fantasy trip, but it would be hardly settling just to go there now. I've wanted to go since I was in middle school, and I stupidly gave up the chance to go there when I graduated college; my very generous Aunt said she'd either give me $5000 or an all expense paid trip to Japan with my then girlfriend if I wanted to. There were a lot more things I'd rather have bought at the time so I chose the money. I now lament not doing the trip because I feel like i'd have appreciated it way more back then and also didn't hate flying as much during that time either. But if the stars aline and the opportunity presents itself absolutely would want to go there and pretty much just nerd it out for a couple of weeks. It took my Grandpa 80-years before he was able to go to Israel like he'd always wanted, so maybe I'll finally get to visit Japan, cruise the streets of Aki, and buy more games than I could ever play when I'm old and grey. Who knows.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 01:29:24 am »
Mine isn't just where, but also when.

I wish I could time travel back to 1999 or 2000 and travel to Japan. I feel like the Japan, anime, video games, music, and just the world in general was really at its peak at this point. Most of the anime and videos games I cherish were very popular and brand new during this time and to be swept up in the hype in the place it originated from would be a dream come true!

But obviously since time travel is impossible (as far as we know), I'd love to just go to Japan now. Yeah, it's not nearly as cool and appealing as it would have been in my time travel fantasy trip, but it would be hardly settling just to go there now. I've wanted to go since I was in middle school, and I stupidly gave up the chance to go there when I graduated college; my very generous Aunt said she'd either give me $5000 or an all expense paid trip to Japan with my then girlfriend if I wanted to. There were a lot more things I'd rather have bought at the time so I chose the money. I now lament not doing the trip because I feel like i'd have appreciated it way more back then and also didn't hate flying as much during that time either. But if the stars aline and the opportunity presents itself absolutely would want to go there and pretty much just nerd it out for a couple of weeks. It took my Grandpa 80-years before he was able to go to Israel like he'd always wanted, so maybe I'll finally get to visit Japan, cruise the streets of Aki, and buy more games than I could ever play when I'm old and grey. Who knows.

God the retro game hunting there, like I know it's all Japanese versions, which is fine for certain games, but I would so love to go to their secondhand stores, not just for games, but like figures and such, because they take such good care of their stuff, and thrift shops don't seem to be dumps like a lot of ours can be here.  Sometimes you go into a Goodwill and it's just like the place has exploded lol

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 12:10:31 pm »
There are various but the issue is accessibility issues have always been a problem, not to mention cost and time. As I would imagine, it may well be impossible for me to ever go to any of the places I've always wanted to visit. Those being:

Ur, which is located in Iraq. Location of the Ziggurat of Ur:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggurat_of_Ur

Marvdasht, which is located in Iran. Location of Naqsh-e Rostam, burial place of Darius among others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naqsh-e_Rostam

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:24 pm »
I'd love to visit Taiwan, and also South Korea but maybe not Seoul, I'd think more Busan or Jeju Island.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 04:10:39 am »
In terms of a Dream Trip where I can bend the rules of reality and do things like time travel, I'd like to be able to visit amusement parks from my personal past that are no longer around as well as visit parks around the world during different periods like the opening of Disneyland/Walt Disney World. I too would have liked to have visited places like Japan in the mid to late 90's armed with the knowledge of today so I could snap up a ton of good titles on the cheap.  :P

Without bending the rules of reality but having enough F-You money and no job to do/buy whatever I want, let's see...

One thing I would definitely like to do is make a trek to visit all 50 states. I've managed to visit 20 of the 50 so far and would love to knock out the other 30 as well as the territories like Puerto Rico and the others. If I'm doing that, I'd try and do a trip-within-a-trip by visiting every MLB park and attending a game at each one. Since I'd have the money/time, I would probably do that for every NFL, NBA, and NHL team as well.  :P

Of course if I'm visiting every state I would absolutely go to every amusement park. Six Flags, CaroWinds, and Knott's Berry Farm are ones that immediately come to mind aside from the obvious ones like Disneyland. I've never been to Universal Studios so I'd like to hit that up as well as go back and spend a LOT of time at WDW.  ;)

Outside the US, the highest ranked destinations for me would be Japan and South Korea. Japan would be for the shopping but also for the chance to visit Tokyo Disney Sea. I have relatives in South Korea and it'd be nice to actually visit the country where half my lineage comes from.  ;)

I can't think of too many other places I'd wanna go without doing a little research. I'd love to venture up to Canada (when it's warm) and visit some restaurant chains that are unique to that country like Swiss Chalet.  :P

Hopefully one of these days I can make these dream trips a reality. I just need the damn lottery to stop selling me losing tickets!  >:(  :o  ;D

leshark

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 01:31:36 pm »
A trans-Japan trip from Hokkaido to Okinawa would've been great. But, I guess that's what a lot of us would like to do.
Apart from this, I'd love to tour the Baltic states (Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia) and Canada, especially Québec and the Maritimes.
:)

mrkonasoni

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 01:41:41 am »
My dream trip is buying a brand new N64, then get to a classic Pizza Hut joint, drink pepsi, maybe rent some TMNT movies at Blockbuster, and come back to home listening synthware classics and just get home to play some Castlevania 64 or Hybrid Heaven for hours.

After all the stuff I have been through in this life... I just want some little peace...

(And for life supply of free Pizza Hut)
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.