Author Topic: IMO...the PS5 is a POS  (Read 2188 times)

gf78

IMO...the PS5 is a POS
« on: October 03, 2021, 12:15:26 pm »
Since finally scoring a PS5 on July 29th, I've played it mostly on the weekends since I work 12 hour days Monday thru Friday. Mostly, I've played Horizon Zero Dawn. After beating it and doing most of the side quests, I've moved on to Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut.

And in all honesty, the games by Sony are as always fantastic. The PS5 on the other hand leaves much to be desired. I could delve into how the dashboard is junk. How they STILL don't have a legitimate and easy path to upgrade the storage. Or how the system itself is a giant, unweildy, curved monstrosity. But no, my problems lie almost entirely with the system's reliability or lack thereof. It's a hot mess.

I've had over a dozen random crashes while playing Horizon alone. Ghost of Tsushima has been a nightmare just getting it installed!  It's been trying to install and update since last week!  After the latest update, the install is stuck around 36% .  Numerous complete system restarts have prodded it along a bit...until it threw an error installing a language pack, requiring yet ANOTHER system reset and hoping that I may be able to play a little more some *&$$ day!  At this point, I don't even really want to bother and halfway want to just delete the damn game.

All of the issues I have with the system are giving me a real case of buyers remorse. It's also stopped me from picking up Deathloop and I'm cancelling my Guardians of the Galaxy preorder for it. Hell, I am considering returning Death Stranding since I haven't opened it yet. Maybe in a few months, Sony will get their head out of their ass and get the bugs worked out. At this point, it is just more frustrating than fun. I don't want to invest more money in games when every one I try to play has issues. I've been so looking forward to Horizon Forbidden West,  but is it going to crash randomly like the first?  I think I should have just picked up a PS4 pro as pretty much everything I want to play is on it as well and doesn't look much different than the PS5 versions.

Anybody else have honest, non-fanboy opinions to share on your PS5 experiences? 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: IMO...the PS5 is a POS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 01:49:34 pm »
I haven't had a single issue with my PS5 since buying it from launch.  I just got done with a 60 hour run of Death Stranding and it was a fantastic time.  It's possible you just got a bum system, but my experience since last year has been great for me.

dhaabi

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 02:09:49 pm »
My household's PS5 has had zero issues either. There have been zero in-game crashes alongside no problems with installations.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 02:52:08 pm »
I've had game crashes, but I chalk that up more to bugs inside the game than anything that the hardware in the PS5 is causing.

My main gripe with the PS5 is the lack of games for it. At the moment I have 4 PS5 games, 3 of which are multiplats that are on other consoles including last gen consoles. I could have just as easily played and enjoyed those games on my 7-year old PS4, making the PS5 more than redundant. 95% of the time my PS5 is used as a PS4 game upscaller or an expensive streaming box. I really wouldn't have minded waiting a year or two to get a PS5 if I'd known the games were be released at a trickle for it.

I have faith in Sony that this will change however. I feel like every Playstation console really hit its stride 2 or 3 years into the console's life and just start cranking out exclusive gem after gem. With various announcements for 2022 I can already see this happening and I am getting more and more excited about being a PS5 owner, but I still sometimes wonder why the hell I went through the trouble of finding one last year. I guess time will tell, but I really hope I'm right for my wallet's sake.

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 05:37:27 pm »
I haven't had a single issue with my PS5 since buying it from launch.  I just got done with a 60 hour run of Death Stranding and it was a fantastic time.  It's possible you just got a bum system, but my experience since last year has been great for me.

The consoles that where sold near launch have a bigger heatsink

they decreased it with the later versions of the ps5 300 grams lighter

release version on the left, Newer version on the right

« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:07:29 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 05:41:27 pm »
I guess I'm on the unlucky side then. I'm out at my parents now, but will check the week-long installation of Ghost of Tsushima  when I get home. I've manually prioritized the PS5 on my router and my Series X is off so it won't download while the PS5 attempts to finish.

It allowed me to play until I faced Khan on the bridge attempting to rescue my uncle.  :-\

Like bikingjahuty, buying the system over a PS4 has proven to be mostly a waste. The only PS5 exclusive I own is Returnal and I haven't even tried it out yet.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 06:38:00 pm »
I guess I'm on the unlucky side then. I'm out at my parents now, but will check the week-long installation of Ghost of Tsushima  when I get home. I've manually prioritized the PS5 on my router and my Series X is off so it won't download while the PS5 attempts to finish.

It allowed me to play until I faced Khan on the bridge attempting to rescue my uncle.  :-\

Like bikingjahuty, buying the system over a PS4 has proven to be mostly a waste. The only PS5 exclusive I own is Returnal and I haven't even tried it out yet.

I mean, issues aside (Any console can have problems), there's not a real big reason to get a PS4 at this point if you are able to get a PS5 (That's the hard part right now), the PS5 plays almost all the same games and most PS4 games look and run way better.  That is absolutely a big plus for me, even without huge new games to play.  Though really, most systems have pretty light launches, like the PS4 was way worse than the PS5 was.  I don't think there was a single game I was into until Bloodborne and even then, I didn't get one till more games were available like Uncharted 4.

gf78

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 09:29:18 pm »

I mean, issues aside (Any console can have problems), there's not a real big reason to get a PS4 at this point if you are able to get a PS5 (That's the hard part right now), the PS5 plays almost all the same games and most PS4 games look and run way better.  That is absolutely a big plus for me, even without huge new games to play.  Though really, most systems have pretty light launches, like the PS4 was way worse than the PS5 was.  I don't think there was a single game I was into until Bloodborne and even then, I didn't get one till more games were available like Uncharted 4.

I've bought every Sony system including the PSP and Vita right at launch since the PS2. The original PlayStation about a year after launch. The PS5 has been nigh impossible to get, so when I finally did get one after all this anticipation and I've had these issues and all but a single title I've bought is available on the PS4 i feel colossaly let down. Sony said "We believe in generations" and has completely walked back on that. The best big-hitters they have this holiday are ports of PS4 games and Horizon Forbidden West is pushed back to next year. The announcement of the Uncharted collection feels like a slap in the face including only two of six games in the series and aquiring Blue Point just "points" to more re-releases/ports of older games. And it's immensely frustrating to be cut off from all of the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on the system. I'd love to do a complete playthrough of the God of War games before Ragnarok comes out, but that isn't possible.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 10:06:13 pm »
My household's PS5 has had zero issues either. There have been zero in-game crashes alongside no problems with installations.

Same.  The biggest issue I've had is forgetting how to navigate the new layout.

My main gripe with the PS5 is the lack of games for it. At the moment I have 4 PS5 games, 3 of which are multiplats that are on other consoles including last gen consoles. I could have just as easily played and enjoyed those games on my 7-year old PS4, making the PS5 more than redundant. 95% of the time my PS5 is used as a PS4 game upscaller or an expensive streaming box. I really wouldn't have minded waiting a year or two to get a PS5 if I'd known the games were be released at a trickle for it.

I have faith in Sony that this will change however. I feel like every Playstation console really hit its stride 2 or 3 years into the console's life and just start cranking out exclusive gem after gem. With various announcements for 2022 I can already see this happening and I am getting more and more excited about being a PS5 owner, but I still sometimes wonder why the hell I went through the trouble of finding one last year. I guess time will tell, but I really hope I'm right for my wallet's sake.

I'm in the same boat.  I don't regret it, per se, but that is probably just because it is still so hard to get one, and I want to be ready when we do start getting a stream of PS5 exclusive games.

I'd love to do a complete playthrough of the God of War games before Ragnarok comes out, but that isn't possible.

Aren't they all on PSNow?  Which would be the only way you could do the same thing on PS4.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 10:32:23 pm »
I've bought every Sony system including the PSP and Vita right at launch since the PS2. The original PlayStation about a year after launch. The PS5 has been nigh impossible to get, so when I finally did get one after all this anticipation and I've had these issues and all but a single title I've bought is available on the PS4 i feel colossaly let down. Sony said "We believe in generations" and has completely walked back on that. The best big-hitters they have this holiday are ports of PS4 games and Horizon Forbidden West is pushed back to next year. The announcement of the Uncharted collection feels like a slap in the face including only two of six games in the series and aquiring Blue Point just "points" to more re-releases/ports of older games. And it's immensely frustrating to be cut off from all of the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on the system. I'd love to do a complete playthrough of the God of War games before Ragnarok comes out, but that isn't possible.

The last time Sony was proper backwards compatible, was the beginning of the PS3.  I mean you brought up saying you probably should have just bought a PS4 Pro, but there's no reason to when the PS5 plays it all anyways and you'll be ready for the upcoming new games.  It sucks there aren't a lot of big games, this was a rough year for game development for sure, but you are ready for the next gen.  The problem here is simply that you need to see about getting your system fixed.

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 11:17:36 pm »
The best big-hitters they have this holiday are ports of PS4 games and Horizon Forbidden West is pushed back to next year. The announcement of the Uncharted collection feels like a slap in the face including only two of six games in the series and aquiring Blue Point just "points" to more re-releases/ports of older games.
Why does it matter what games they release in the Holiday season when their focus is often Spring and Summer? Sony has skipped the Holiday timeframe year after year. If you look at the PS4 gen excluding 2020 very few of their big games launched in the Holiday season.

Bluepoint's last two games were complete remakes and they have already said they are working on an original game.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 01:44:40 am »
the PS5 plays almost all the same games and most PS4 games look and run way better.  That is absolutely a big plus for me, even without huge new games to play. 

That's been how it's been for me for this generation so far too. Upgrading has been worth it to make loading screens not really a thing anymore.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 01:52:09 am »
the PS5 plays almost all the same games and most PS4 games look and run way better.  That is absolutely a big plus for me, even without huge new games to play. 

That's been how it's been for me for this generation so far too. Upgrading has been worth it to make loading screens not really a thing anymore.

That alone is such an improvement, like I had an SSD in my system on PS4 already because of Monster Hunter World, the load times in that game on PS4 suck so bad, but on PS5, it's just as good, if not better, on top of performance boosts.  Like I put some time into Monster Hunter World again, I just got done replaying Death Stranding a second time, I'll likely replay Final Fantasy 7 Remake once Part 2 is coming up for release, I'm gonna replay Horizon and do the DLC before the sequel comes out, I'll be replaying Ghost of Tsushima and doing the DLC eventually, God of War will get a replay, and if Bloodborne ever gets a god dang update, I'll be replaying that also.  I do not want to go back to 30fps unless I'm forced to, like I usually am on Switch lol

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 03:11:23 am »
The only issue I have had with the PS5 is how slow it is reading my external HDD.There's no issue when playing games off it  (Which I guess is the main thing), but when it comes to transferring games from External HDD to internal SSD. The actual transfer process is fine, it's getting the console to read the HDD to navigate which is so unbearably slow. It''s the same when using the HDD in the PS5's Media Player (Which isn't in the Media section dedicated to Streaming Apps but in the Game section...), it just takes forever to load anything - I had ZERO issues with any of this on PS4.

Beyond not liking the interface still I don't have any other issues, i've had a few games crash but nothing that has ruined any experiences with most games having Autosave these days.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 06:24:40 pm »
I have used my PS5 quite a bit this year and have had little to no issues. I have had a couple of crashes (mostly Cyberpunk, which I don't think was the fault of the PS5) and I had that weird downloading issue where in the middle of installing a game/downloading a patch it would just stop and I'd have to uninstall and try again but this has not happened to me in months.

I just played through Ratchet and really enjoyed it, and now I'm playing through Returnal and Lost Judgment. I have had zero issues and really enjoyed my experience with the console so far.  I think COVID and tech shortages have caused significant game development delays and while I am disappointed that more is not coming out this year, I have so many other games to play and am not concerned.

There is noticeable room for improvement for the PS5 interface and other features. I also seem to recall the PS4 being rather basic the first few years- I think in the next few years, the PS5 will really develop into something special.