Author Topic: Happy 22nd Birthday, Sega Dreamcast!  (Read 1254 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Happy 22nd Birthday, Sega Dreamcast!
« on: October 14, 2021, 02:21:23 pm »

Happy anniversary to the Sega Dreamcast, released 22 years ago on this day!

What was your all time favorite game on the system?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Happy 22nd Birthday, Sega Dreamcast!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 02:22:31 pm »

Resident Evil: Code Veronica is my favorite Dreamcast game. It's what drove me to buy a Dreamcast (back when it was still a Dreamcast exclusive).

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 09:12:09 pm »
that's a tough question to answer so many good games on Dreamcast. So I'm going to cheat and give you three.
Soul Reaver
Resident Evil Code Veronica (my favorite RE game)
Hidden and Dangerous (it was flawed but if you were patient it was a awesome game)

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 07:18:44 pm »
Shenmue

No contest for me, I quite like the Dremcast but even to this day have not felt such an immersive setting as Yokoska in Shenmue 1. The attention to detail is just staggering to where each NPC is an established character with their own daily routine -  Also, they usually have something unique to say depending on your current story objective. It's the first time I've been so invested in a setting and want to seek out its little idiosyncrasies. Also that opening! I love every single frame about it, the cinematography is perfection.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 09:47:16 pm »
Shenmue

No contest for me, I quite like the Dremcast but even to this day have not felt such an immersive setting as Yokoska in Shenmue 1. The attention to detail is just staggering to where each NPC is an established character with their own daily routine -  Also, they usually have something unique to say depending on your current story objective. It's the first time I've been so invested in a setting and want to seek out its little idiosyncrasies. Also that opening! I love every single frame about it, the cinematography is perfection.

I remember buying it on the promise of such an open-world. But then upon getting it being disappointed. I was really turned off by the quick-time event gameplay. And felt rushed by the day/night cycle when I just wanted to explore.

Though I do recognize what a leap forward it was for gaming. It laid the groundwork for games like GTA III and beyond.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:52:30 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 09:50:38 pm »
Shenmue

This right here for me too.

The Dreamcast is still my all time favorite console and probably always will be at this point. I got the console shortly after it launched in 1999 and have so many wonderful memories of playing it, buying and receiving new games on it, and just being a part of all the hype and awesomeness around it during its tragically short life span. I consider myself extremely lucky to have experienced the console when it was new and relevant.

jason

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 12:42:09 am »

The Dreamcast is still my all time favorite console and probably always will be at this point. I got the console shortly after it launched in 1999 and have so many wonderful memories of playing it, buying and receiving new games on it, and just being a part of all the hype and awesomeness around it during its tragically short life span. I consider myself extremely lucky to have experienced the console when it was new and relevant.

So many fond memories here as well on the Dreamcast. Shenmue was such a classic. :)

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 10:43:49 am »
Power stone 1 & 2 for me

I could have said skies of arcadia as it's one of my favourite rpg's of all time but It's better played on cube.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telekill

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 09:09:13 am »
Dreamcast was a great system. I remember getting it at launch on 9.9.99. A friend/roommate of mine came with me as the closest videogame store was an hour's drive away, he was my ride. We had to wait until midnight so we went to the nearby Applebees for some food. Time came near and we went and got in line for the midnight launch.

I got the system, Sonic Adventure, Blue Stinger and of course, Soul Caliber with it as well as an extra controller and a VMU. For preordering, I even got a solid orange t-shirt with the logo in white on the front. We drove home pretty hyped to get it plugged in and we played Soul Caliber till about 3 in the morning. The very next day was the first day of my senior year of high school. I proudly wore my Dreamcast shirt.

I appreciated that Sega took chances on many games back then. Favorites were Resident Evil Code Veronica (still needing a remake of that one Capcom)... and of course, Shenmue. In fact, Shenmue is still one of my favorite videogames series of all time regardless that we still don't have a damn ending. I just finished my Shenmue shadowbox for my wall of fame about a week ago or so. I've uploaded a couple photos of it in my gallery if you want to check it out: https://vgcollect.com/gallery/Telekill

Sad that Dreamcast had such a short lifespan, and even sadder that it was Sega's hardware swansong.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 12:52:49 pm »
Shenmue

I'll commend you for actually buying the games proper, wish I had similar memories honestly. I have some good memories getting one at launch and owning some of the launch titles, as well as Shenmue. But my brother had convinced me we didn't need to buy game anymore, because he figured out how to just burn everything. Naturally, he didn't really give a crap what games I wanted so I never saw anything come of that, but shortly after that he caught wind of Fantasy Star Online and that was the end of me ever getting a chance to go near our Dreamcast.

After saving up, I chose to get a PS2 instead of another Dreamcast, so that's kinda where my memories of the console end, sadly. Aside from buying "The Spirit of Speed" when KB Toys was liquidating all Dreamcact because I had no idea what I was doing. Still kick myself for that, I probably could have had any Dreamcast game for like $10 each. Ignorance isn't bliss!

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 09:51:47 am »
Shenmue

I'll commend you for actually buying the games proper, wish I had similar memories honestly. I have some good memories getting one at launch and owning some of the launch titles, as well as Shenmue. But my brother had convinced me we didn't need to buy game anymore, because he figured out how to just burn everything. Naturally, he didn't really give a crap what games I wanted so I never saw anything come of that, but shortly after that he caught wind of Fantasy Star Online and that was the end of me ever getting a chance to go near our Dreamcast.

After saving up, I chose to get a PS2 instead of another Dreamcast, so that's kinda where my memories of the console end, sadly. Aside from buying "The Spirit of Speed" when KB Toys was liquidating all Dreamcact because I had no idea what I was doing. Still kick myself for that, I probably could have had any Dreamcast game for like $10 each. Ignorance isn't bliss!

If the console was of the both of you, didn't you guys have to share? I'd guess that parents could make it more fair if one of the two complained about never being able to play it. interesting situation unless the guy paid the most money or owned the console I can hardly imagine that situation happening. Unless the parents had extreme bias towards one kid. It happened so whatever the reason was, that's a rough story.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:28:49 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 11:38:02 am »
Shenmue

If the console was of the both of you, didn't you guys have to share? I'd guess that parents could make it more fair if one of the two complained about never being able to play it. interesting situation unless the guy paid the most money or owned the console I can hardly imagine that situation happening. Unless the parents had extreme bias towards one kid. It happened so whatever the reason was, that's a rough story.

Well by that time I already had a PS1 to call my own, plus we several other systems including the N64 which neither of us played much anymore, so I guess they looked at it like I already had something to play, and shouldn't complain. They weren't keen on the idea of buying two of the same console. I'd saved up with the plans of buying my own Dreamcast but by the time I had the money the PS2 was already out, which boasted even better graphics so it swayed me.

It wasn't worth the fight trying to get some time in on the Dreamcast. My brother basically hated me for existing and there was no interfering with him at all, much less setting foot in his room, or it would result in a beating for me. My parents never could get him to treat me with any respect, so they usually just told us to stay separated most of the time. The Dreamcast was locked up in his room, usually with him playing PSO all day, every single day, tying up the phone lines along with it. The game began his life-long obsession with MMORGs. More than likely, I'd say he's probably playing one right now.

sin2beta

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 11:04:42 am »
This is my most nostalgic console. It was far frome my first, but I got it at the sweet spot of just turning 13, it takes me bavk to late night gaming sessions, watching toonami and adults swim. Picked it up at launch, so that helps with the nostalgia. The hype was huge.

Favorite game is tough. Shenmue blew my mind. But, I put the most time into Crazy Taxi. So, maybe have to give the nod to that.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 11:53:38 am »
This is my most nostalgic console. It was far frome my first, but I got it at the sweet spot of just turning 13, it takes me bavk to late night gaming sessions, watching toonami and adults swim. Picked it up at launch, so that helps with the nostalgia. The hype was huge.

Favorite game is tough. Shenmue blew my mind. But, I put the most time into Crazy Taxi. So, maybe have to give the nod to that.

Late 90s to early 2000s Adult Swim was the best!