Author Topic: PlayStation3 turns 15 years old.  (Read 1568 times)

mrkonasoni

PlayStation3 turns 15 years old.
« on: November 11, 2021, 10:30:04 pm »
|Start》》》|

PlayStation 3 is the last console that I believe had an interesting development story, and I think it's more impressive considering the last years of the console are documented.

It's PS3 a good console? I consider a flawed console at times but overall I still think it was mostly good, the console menu is iconic and playing with it makes me feel nostalgic.

I actually have really good memories of playing FarCry3 and 4 for hours after a hard day at the job, and I still have a really good memory of skipping a rainy class day and stay home for play Silent Hill.

If you're curious about what were some of the reasons PS3 failed to conquest the market at first, I recommend once again one of these lengthy but interesting documentaries from YouTube.

And with that being said, some of my favorite games for the console...

From Konami, I truly loved their games for the console and I can recall great games like Castlevania Lords of Shadows, Hard Corps Uprising and Rocket Knight.

While it's a controversial game I have always liked Silent Hill Homecoming and I think Downpour deserved more merits.
There also some little cool games like Rush'n Attack Ex-Patriot or Frogger Returns.

Another of my favorite games are stuff like Sonic Generations or Sonic Unleashed that's actually a game that I have always loved since 2008.

And of course other classics , like Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns, Catherine, Red Dead Redemption, GTA lV and much more.

Happy 15th anniversary, Playstation3.
Your legacy while had some missteps, it's something's I can respect and remember with a smile.

Note: I think is worth mentioning PS3 is somehow a really good PSX machine and if you have your PS3 with a soft mode, it's maybe the ultimate PSX machine out there.

I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: PlayStation3 turns 15 years old.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 10:33:47 pm »
The only generation of PlayStation I don't have nor have I ever owned. I had an Xbox 360 and Wii that generation. My only experience with it is God of War III Remastered via PS4, which I did enjoy.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 11:16:34 pm »
There were good games on it, but it's the least memorable Playstation to me.  I really liked PS1 and PS2, but I went with the 360 this generation as I had more interest in what that was doing compared to to PS3.  I did get one towards the end of its lifespawn, like the last year or two and even then there weren't many games I was interested in.  It was mostly the Uncharted games, MGS4, Infamous, Last of Us, and God of War 3.  All good games, but none of which are a particular favorite of mine as I have only gone back to Last of Us when it was put back out PS4, and I want to replay MGS4 someday whenever it can get a dang port.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 02:46:20 am »
I've had many fond memories with the console, however if has not aged well - More so from a hardware perspective. The interface is unbearably slow, the updates a a pain to maintain, and getting authentic Dualshock 3 controllers is near impossible - I bought 2 off eBay and even thought they were official they were cheap s*** from overseas.

That said it is the console I have the most games for! A lot of game went dirt cheap and the introduction of Blu-ray discs means buying pre-owned isn't as much of a hassle - it's very rare I would buy PS3 games off eBay with actual scratches.

Sadly it is the generation PlayStation lsot it's identity for me - most 3rd party titles the console was known for went multi-platform this gen - Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Tekken... List goes on.

As for the games here are some of the most notable for me:
Catherine
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Heavy Rain
The Last of Us
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Metal Gear Solid 4
NieR
Remember Me
Resistance Fall of Man
Siren Blood Curse
Sonic All-Star Racing TRANSFORMED
Uncharted Trilogy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 07:59:21 am »
The PlayStation 3 is my favorite console of all time sake, The Slims and the Super Slims are as good of a quality build as the PlayStation 2 phat. I use mine to watch Star Wars on blu rar, also play my entire PlayStation 1 collection since virtaull every PS1 game is compatible with it except Medal Of Honor, but that don't even work on the PS2 vary well in my experience.

I love how I never need to buy any expensive PS1 memory cards since the PS3 stores PS1 data on the hard drive instead of a required external memory card. By stock all PS1 save data can be stored in virtual memory cards on the hard drive and you only need 1 PS3 to hold the entire PS1 library of saved game data.

Note not the game itself since the PS1 games require a working CD laser in order to operate on, any PS3 console, but the PS3 Slim and the Super Slims of the PS3 are highly over looked and should be on everyones Wishlist who does not currently own one of these machines. they can play Blu Ray Movies Music CD's as well as play PS3 and PS1 games on them

I highly recommed buying a PS3 it even lets you watch Youtube and Netflix and Hulu on it too but now adays you could just buy a smart tv from Walmart or Amazon but back a few years ago smart tvs did not exist
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 08:01:38 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 12:22:01 pm »
Hardware is only as good as its software. For me, the PlayStation 3 offered very few titles that caught my interest compared to what its predecessors offered. I've been on record before, but I am of the opinion that the PlayStation 3 is the weakest of the five home consoles to-date. Around this time, I wasn't gaming much, and I think I can partially contribute that fact to the diminished variety in games available.

I'm sure the PlayStation 3 is a favorite to many; it just wasn't for me.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 09:41:59 pm »
Hardware is only as good as its software. For me, the PlayStation 3 offered very few titles that caught my interest compared to what its predecessors offered. I've been on record before, but I am of the opinion that the PlayStation 3 is the weakest of the five home consoles to-date. Around this time, I wasn't gaming much, and I think I can partially contribute that fact to the diminished variety in games available.

I'm sure the PlayStation 3 is a favorite to many; it just wasn't for me.

your not alone I am, in this matter, I love the PlayStation 3 I've read numerous posts of people sharing their discomfort with the PlayStation 3 on this forum in the past, and currently it seems none of this entire forum come to apprecieate the PS3 as much as I can, for what it was worth :-\

I've had great times with my first beat up used Super Slim I bought off amazon that somebody just left in plan side on my front sidewalk, the amazon delivery person didn't even bother to bring that particular PS3 up to my door step. I spent countless hours with that machine watching Metal Jesus Rocks on YouTube dreaming of becoming a seasoned collector, it seems I've currently lost all collecting enthusiasm after retro became such a scapegoat with so many retro collectors buying so much retro stuff, heck a lot of my games I bought don't even work for the Xbox original, that is. :-\

I got so many games I don't know which one to play now

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 10:34:15 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 10:39:15 am »
Still thinking about picking up a Playstation 3 someday :)
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 06:54:08 pm »
I've reached that point where nearly everything is starting to make me feel old af, and I'm only in my mid 30s. This post included.

I remember being hyped out of my mind for the PS3, however the 360 had already sunk its claws into me by then with some of its exclusives. That still didn't stop me from lusting over a PS3 to play games like Motor Storm and Lair. My 360 took a shit around 2008 and that same year I ended getting a PS3 for Xmas along with Skate 2 and Motorstorm Pacific Rift. I enjoyed my PS3 quite a bit and it seemed to be a console I loved more and more with each passing year during its life. I got really into games for it like Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Gran Turismo 6, and Sonic All Star Racing Transformed.

In retrospect however, it's thus far my least favorite Playstation console, not including the PS5 since the jury is still out on that one. It just lacked the innovation and novelty of the PS1, the iconic status and excellent library of the PS2, or the vast library of quarkiness and greatness that is the PS4. I still really like it and it's still my favorite 7th gen console.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 12:27:04 am »
Happy Birthday Kiddo. Heres a ticket to another trip around the sun. Happy birthday dear PS3. Happy birthday to you.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 08:28:49 am »
I spent A LOT of hours on the PlayStation 3 since I was an avid trophy hunter for a few years. That urge to platinum every game has died down a bit. I still use my PlayStation 3 to play PlayStation games (just finished Breath of Fire IV) and to watch DVDs.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 08:55:01 am »
I spent A LOT of hours on the PlayStation 3 since I was an avid trophy hunter for a few years. That urge to platinum every game has died down a bit. I still use my PlayStation 3 to play PlayStation games (just finished Breath of Fire IV) and to watch DVDs.

Your vary lucky to own a working PS3 Phat, a phat is best played using a 500 gigabyte SATA Laptop hardrive, and with AV cords, do not use HDMI or it will overheat, however the slim and the super slim models may not play PS2 games or DVD's but they have longer lasting hardare and almost never overheat even when using them on HDMI, but AV is always safer, PS1 and PS2 games are native to AV remember meaning it takes less work I think on the machine to convert the signal.

I would not waste a PS3 phat or PS2's laser on DVD's since they are vary hard to find a replacement laser for them I would imagine, I'd buy a separate DVD player. I do use my PS3 slim to watch Star Wars on blu-ray though
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:57:17 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

kashell

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 09:17:52 am »
I have the slim version.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 10:21:43 am »
The biggest modern downside to the PS3 is that nearly every major title has been remastered and run better on modern systems.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 04:05:49 pm »
The biggest modern downside to the PS3 is that nearly every major title has been remastered and run better on modern systems.

This is true, many of PS3's best games got remastered versions on PS4 and elsewhere. The Switch did the same thing to the Wii U.

I liked the PS3. My favorite games for it were:

• Dark Souls
• Valkyria Chronicles
• Dragon's Crown
• Uncharted
• Way of the Samurai 3
• Street Fighter IV (and it's later versions)