Author Topic: Nintendo Wii 15th anniversary  (Read 1486 times)

mrkonasoni

Nintendo Wii 15th anniversary
« on: November 19, 2021, 09:30:56 pm »
|Start》》》|

I'll be sincere with you, I don't remember at all or I know the development story for the Nintendo Wii, I remember a few stories but I couldn't mention something that I believe actually happened.

I still remember when Wii was announced as the Nintendo Revolution, and how it actually managed to impress the public with the motion control gimmick.

Wii was designed with the focus on allowing users from all ages and skills to start playing video games and while arguably I believe it made a good job at first helping people to be introduced to just enjoy video games even if it could be just for playing sometimes or strictly with someone else.

Personally while I think it deserved better, I always enjoyed the console and I have fond memories playing Super Smash Bros Brawl for the first time, reading countless times a review for Elebits that seemed like just something else or playing for hours for just going on a stroll and buy more games for the console.

Some of my favorite games are:

- Sonic Unleashed
- Sonic and Secret Rings
- Sonic and the Black Knight
- Sonic Colors
- Elebits
- Dewy Adventure
- Lost in Blue
- Target Terror
- Contra Rebirth
- Castlevania Rebirth
- Gradius Rebirth
- Frogger Returns
- Mario Kart Wii
- Rayman Raving Rabbids
- Rabbids Go Home
- Epic Mickey
- Rayman Origins
- Super Mario Galaxy
And much more I can't remember right now.

Like all consoles Wii had flaws, and the library games actually had quite a lot of junk, but at the end it's a console I have nostalgic memories and I still enjoy playing nowadays, discovering games I never played at the time or just coming back to some of my personal favorites.

Happy 15th anniversary Nintendo Wii.

I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

jalien

Re: Nintendo Wii 15th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 07:37:45 am »
Wii was the era I returned to gaming, hadn't played for nearly 4 years and came back shortly after the Wii's release. Loved playing round of golf on Wii Sports and absolutely love Super Mario Galaxy, and I guess I was one of the few who enjoyed the motion controls of Skyward Sword when it released.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 11:51:00 am »
I won't lie, this is one is a little nostalgic for me. I wasn't a kid when it came out, but I just remember it being one of those cultural trends that sort of defines the later 2000s. Everyone who didn't even play video games, had a Wii. As much as some elitists might scoff at that, I think it was kind of a cool thing. It was the pinnacle of the "couch co-op" era in video games. It was actually pretty difficult to get a hold of one at first, didn't end up getting my own until 2009. Mario Galaxy was a treat. The final Miyamoto produced title.

A lot is made about the shovelware, but I don't mind so much. All systems have it. I actually like the motion controls when implemented well. A lot of the more casual sports titles, are perfect for that control scheme and I enjoy those.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 12:11:14 pm »
I remember being absolutely flabbergasted when may dad asked me take out the trash on Christmas day 2006 and inside the can was another present. I ran inside and opened it and it was the Nintendo Wii! Turns out my mom had stood in line in the 10 degree cold out in front of Target at 1am to get it. At the time, the thing was harder to get ahold of than the PS5. My Aunt and her family were visiting from Germany that Christmas and we played tons of Wii Sports for like the next week or so. I also remember playing  the crap out of Mario Strikers on it via backwards compatibility even though I had a GameCube already. Great memories and great times. I still have the system with me today, I was playing some Excite Truck on it the other night haha.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 12:44:51 am »
I have so many fond memories about when the Wii came out. My then girlfriend and I were hyped beyond belief to get one and I remember waiting outside a Best Buy for like 5 hours to get one back during the holiday season of 2006. I specifically wanted to play Twilight Princess since it was the Zelda game I'd been waiting for since Majora's Mask came out, but beyond that it just seemed like such a cool, innovative console at the time. At least initially I actually prefered it to the 360 and PS3, although the PS3 would become my favorite by the end of that generation. But I remember getting my Wii and my girlfriend and I playing the hell out of Wii Sports, and then on my own loving Twilight Princess. Shortly after the Wii came out I bought Elebits which is a super underrated game.

A year later I went through a very difficult time in my life and remember games like Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl really helping me through them. Also, the Wii Virtual Console may have been my first unofficial step towards becoming nostalgic over games from my childhood. I remember buying DKC and Super Mario 64 off there around the time it launched and was so moved by replaying those games again.

While admittedly I stoped being as big a fan of the Wii the longer it was out, it has a very special place in my heart as one of the most nostalgic consoles I've ever owned. It really takes me back to some of my early college days and reminds me of a lot of the people and places in my life around 2006 and 2007.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 01:18:43 am »
The Wii was a very weak system for me, probably at the bottom for me for Nintendo consoles.  I was initially kinda hyped for it, not sure if I'd like the motion controls or not (I did not), but a fond memory I do have is my buddy waiting out in the cold at Walmart in our small town to get one at launch, picking it up with a copy of Twilight Princess.  Ended up being a pretty big disappointment that I eventually sold to a friend after like a year. 

I have no games I liked on it and to me, the only time it was tolerable, was when it was just full on gimmick like Wii Sports bowling, but those are novelty experiences, not something I sink my teeth into.  Established series didn't have games I liked, with Skyward Sword becoming my least favorite 3D Zelda game, and other series like Super Mario Galaxy were taking the games in a super wrong direction for me.  It has it's some redeeming elements and some games will be more likely to win me over a little more these days with tweaks and adjustments (Skyward Sword is currently not my least favorite 3D Zelda with what I've played of it) and I want to give the Mario Galaxy games another shot if Nintendo ever decides to release them like a normal company would.

telekill

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 09:52:48 am »
Ah the Wii... the system that turned me off of Nintendo for more than a decade.

It taught me one thing though... I absolutely hate... no... loath... motion controls. Zelda was completely destroyed by motion controls in Skyward Sword. In fact almost every game that used motion controls... including from PS3... suffered for it; only Warhawk's flying motion controls were done well.

Then the hardware was basically still Gamecube quality. Granted... it would have been fine had they added HD support... which they didn't.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 04:56:43 pm »

It taught me one thing though... I absolutely hate... no... loath... motion controls. Zelda was completely destroyed by motion controls in Skyward Sword. In fact almost every game that used motion controls... including from PS3... suffered for it; only Warhawk's flying motion controls were done well.

Then the hardware was basically still Gamecube quality. Granted... it would have been fine had they added HD support... which they didn't.

Light-gun shooters work well with motion controls. A good chunk of my Wii collection are those games.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 08:20:42 pm by burningdoom »

telekill

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 06:23:07 pm »

Light-gun shooters work well with motion controls. A good chunk of Wii collection are those games.

I tried the Resident Evil light gun games and wasn't impressed. When a company creates their entire generation of gaming around a single gimmick it often leaves a bad taste.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 06:41:49 pm »

Light-gun shooters work well with motion controls. A good chunk of Wii collection are those games.

I tried the Resident Evil light gun games and wasn't impressed. When a company creates their entire generation of gaming around a single gimmick it often leaves a bad taste.

I gotta agree. Mario Galaxy without the pressing motion control would have no exaggeration been the best mario game ever made. Even present day PSVR. Motion game just is never responsive or accurate enough to feel real. And in Mark Cuban's voice "for that reason. I'm.out" lol.

Also literally launch 360s had HD support. It was the standard 5 years before Wii. RGB cables well after 2010 when they released the mini was just offensive.

With that said it had a lot to offer and was fairly innovative with multiple ways to play. And the virtual console and digital shop was way ahead of its time.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 07:27:13 pm »
The lack of HD output really set this console back for me - Heck even if the Wii-U attempted to upscale Wii games I could forgive it but sadly there isn't a decent way to play Wii games now other than Emulation. I sold my Wii console years back and still have a Wii-U in storage.

As for games what sticks out for me is Operation Rainfall - The campaign to get 3 RPG titles for widespread release. All 3 titles deserve modern ports I hope The Last Story & Pandora's Tower aren't to remain stagnant in the Wii's coffin. Beyond them games... Epic Mickey was a very decent platformer with a good use of the Wii control scheme. The console also has the best version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - While the game has the loose footing of Silent Hill 1's story it breaks away from the plot points very early one and is a very compelling experience in it's own right highly recommended!

That's all I really have to say about the console... I'm not a fan of Nintendo license games & there is little else that interests me for the system.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 08:15:38 pm »
I remember being absolutely flabbergasted when may dad asked me take out the trash on Christmas day 2006 and inside the can was another present. I ran inside and opened it and it was the Nintendo Wii! Turns out my mom had stood in line in the 10 degree cold out in front of Target at 1am to get it. At the time, the thing was harder to get ahold of than the PS5. My Aunt and her family were visiting from Germany that Christmas and we played tons of Wii Sports for like the next week or so. I also remember playing  the crap out of Mario Strikers on it via backwards compatibility even though I had a GameCube already. Great memories and great times. I still have the system with me today, I was playing some Excite Truck on it the other night haha.

What a beautiful story :)  Gave me the christmas feels. Just think waiting in line in 10 degrees cold for a plastic box not realizing that you'd be here remembering it fondly 15 years later. Pretty neat.

kashell

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 07:38:37 am »
I liked the idea of the Wii. But, the execution was another thing. I can't stand motion controls and a good chunk of games that seemed interesting would use them.

That said, there were some bright spots. The Last Story was a solid RPG and I liked that it could play GameCube games. And of course, playing Smash Bros. Brawl (even with the stupid tripping "feature") never stopped being a good time.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 09:41:30 am »

I gotta agree. Mario Galaxy without the pressing motion control would have no exaggeration been the best mario game ever made. Even present day PSVR. Motion game just is never responsive or accurate enough to feel real. And in Mark Cuban's voice "for that reason. I'm.out" lol.

Also literally launch 360s had HD support. It was the standard 5 years before Wii. RGB cables well after 2010 when they released the mini was just offensive.

With that said it had a lot to offer and was fairly innovative with multiple ways to play. And the virtual console and digital shop was way ahead of its time.

Even with the miniscule amount of motion controls that it has they are the best mario games of all time. Such a treat. I also like the story and just the overall atmosphere, and while allot less in galaxy 2 in that entry everything else was much improved with new idea's

Also the best mario kart game of all time, I love the mechanics. I really hate how the newer mario karts have simplified quite a few things.

While the overall wii library has allot of junk it has some killer titles that redeem the console to compete with the greatest
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:43:10 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 09:52:40 pm »
I like the Wii a lot, and can honestly say it's one of my favorite consoles. I got mine by chance at a Sam's Club one day, and it, alongside the NDS were two of the systems I used the most during those years; I remember having low expectations for the Wii, but the years that followed helped change that perception. Even though the console is mostly known for its massive library of shovelware, it happens to have a good number of gems that I think everyone should try. The Wii is—without a shadow of a doubt—one of Nintendo's greatest consoles.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!