Author Topic: What percentage are you a collector vs a gamer?  (Read 2118 times)

What percentage are you a collector vs a gamer?
« on: December 13, 2021, 05:59:37 pm »
What I mean by this is what percentage are you into or participate in the purely collecting aspect of gaming versus what percentage you actually play the games you own?

For me it's about 20% collector, 80% gamer.

These numbers were reversed about 7 years ago when I was way more into hunting down games in the wild.

Re: What percentage are you a collector vs a gamer?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 06:08:54 pm »
These days, probably 90% gamer, to 10% collector, I don't really have the funding to do both, so I choose the one I'd spend more time enjoying, which is actually playing new games.

Bluemoon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 06:14:27 pm »
I don't think I could put a percentage but I would say I enjoy collecting a bit more but I spend more time actually playing the games. It would be far too costly and kind of pointless for me to only collect games

telekill

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 06:19:57 pm »
Well... I've always basically just kept the games I enjoyed as I've moved through time. So for a while, it was 50/50 as I generally didn't trade in anything.

Fast forward to today and I rarely buy things day one anymore. I don't preorder unless it's a collector's edition or a new system... and I haven't bought a collectors edition since Uncharted 4 came out. As of this last year, I finished up my Game Gear collection and there's a small handful of games I want for PS1 and PS2 to still get. That's basically where I'm at. So I'm maybe 2-5% collector now? I'm not planning to get rid of my collection by any means, but I'm not buying games I won't play.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 06:58:58 pm »
I play video games between 1 to 3 hours a night during the week and a lot more on weekends.I collect mostly for retro systems but I don't play them as much as I would like because I only have my modern consoles at my girl's house.90% my collection is at my house where one day we will all live.but for now while her kids are still in school I live with my new family here because the school system in her town is better suited to help special needs children.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 07:45:24 pm »
Probably 50/50 these days. Still collecting a ton but have made a concerted effort to play more games this year. Up to nearly 30 beaten on the year. I'm mostly at this point trying to complete console sets and boxes for nintendo cartridge systems so that's more collecting focused than gaming focused. I'm not currently tracking down Contra Legacy of War on Saturn because i want to play it (i have it on ps1) but because it's the last game outside of daytona netlink that i need to complete the NA set. 

With a young baby at home, harder to sneak away to my retro gameroom to play for large chunks of time. Hoping as he gets older, I will be able to play more.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 12:38:52 am »
It's a bit hard to say. For the most part, I do want to play 90+% of the games I own (pretty much everything but the sim sports games), but my overall lack of freetime means that the backlog grows quicker than I can whittle it down. Right now, out of all the physical games I own, I can only say I've finished a little under a fifth of them, and that's just the physical backlog. I think I'd need a few weeks in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to get anywhere.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 04:35:23 am »
I stopped collecting physical I now play games more then obtain them, I have too many I never played my health is not the greatest and I no longer got the energy to play them unfortunately :'(

I lost a ton of gaming enthusiasm ever since I realized how many collectors there are and how expensive the games became, I don't like the idea of retro games becoming few and far between so I am severely depressed these days as a result so depressed I don't have the energy to enjoy the ones I have, since collecting is kind of pointless, when there are no more games to collect for.

I am into music now and always
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

kashell

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 07:59:45 am »
Probably 95% gamer and 5% collector.

soera

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 09:00:56 am »
I have always considered myself to be both a gamer and a collector. The ratio has changed many times over the years but I think im to the point where I can say I'm 50/50. I dont buy nearly as much as I used to and I attempt to play as often as I can. I expect that in the coming years, my collecting is going to drop a lot however and I'm going to just concentrate on what I have.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 10:24:52 am »
It has changed over time and now I do not think I can easily split it the way others have posted it. The reason being is that while I am playing games more than buying them, I am not playing the games I am buying. It is because I'm mostly playing digital games and not the physical games. The physical games just go on a shelf. They are on my to-play-list but they have less priority for me because I can always play physical but can only play digital as long as the online services they are connected to are in operation.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 02:50:33 pm »
As time goes on I actually have less time to game than I did 10 years ago. I'm mostly playing new games on PC or consoles when I can, but collecting comes and goes in spurts. I'll sometimes drop $500 on a bunch of retro games or pre-order a collector's edition of something. Sometimes I'll knock out the cheap common games on my list and buy a dozen or so on eBay. Then I'll stop for a few months and switch between playing new games and playing a retro one here or there to get it off my list. My plan is to eventually play every game I have bought.

covfefe2020

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 02:52:55 pm »
Once the summer ended it became 95% Collecting 5% playing. It's not like I have no time. But I really don't want to keep starting all the games that I am buying then abandoning them. So I'm only allowing myself to play Skyrim and Destiny 1 because I put considerable time into them this summer, and so when I don't feel like playing those, I don't play. Contrast that with collecting, where I can do that anytime and anywhere.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

fladechen

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 07:30:32 am »
A few years ago I was more of a collector than a gamer, maybe 70/30... but I completely most of my collection (I had lists of games I wanted for each system) so now I only buy the games I want to play. Does that mean I'm 100% gamer and 0% collector?  ???

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 08:43:55 am »
Give me some way to calculate this metric and I'll come up with something... otherwise, I don't really know how to answer it myself.  I hate considering myself either of those labels as I generally associate those labels as negative things personally.

I buy a lot of games, I play a lot of games, but I generally don't aim for condition or have any goals other than buying what I want...

I don't know 50/50?