Author Topic: What is your favorite gaming related Christmas gift? What VGCollect Means To Us.  (Read 745 times)

Hello everyone :) 

MERRY CHRISTMAS VG COLLECT

After scouring the forum search thingy I can't seem to find this topic and if their was, it would be declared necromancy to dig it up and the sheriff will shine his floodlight on anyone digging up stuff that old and with new users coming every day I wanted to share 2 stories from my life that will follow forever. The type of topic that digs into the archives of the file database of our hearts into them seasons of warmth, caring and inclusiveness. Home Alone flickering on a 90s Sony trinitron as all of you unwrap what Santa brought on them nights where the food seemed to taste better and the sun shined brighter. So grab some roast, and let's have a merry christmas together. 

*Andrew Sorkin director of being the ricardos calls with urgent news

2021 VG COLLECT AWARDS

I just got a phone call from a venue that was supposed to host the 3rd annual VG Collect awards but it turns out I maxed out Turf's debit hiring Ariana Grande with the last one jk lol. After sucking on SNL and getting outsung by Kelly Clarkson she now demands perputity to recoop what she deems as "wasted time" :(  But I did not forget this tradition but simply have been bogged down but in general this will be that christmas thread and I assume it will be more palatable for easy participation but if anyone wants to enjoy the last VGcollect awards it will be left here :)

But into the thread

My First Secret Santa And Dash V's Gift

In 2019 I participated in VGCollects Secret Santa and recieved this amazing gift and it still remains the only gift I have ever gotten outside of family from a long distance gifter :).  I am not sure if DashV still even frequents these forums but I had just come back from my trip to Dallas which was basically the equivalent of a hot glue gun in a big tool box of life. Seeing the mantle of earth's circumfrence from 15,000 ft above was like a lifetime of learning. But it wasn't until I was grounded and seen the community and humility here that I had finally known the meaning of flying. I had traveled 1500 miles from home but had not been moved an inch until I see not only the secret santa but the subsequent reveals on the livestream. Being involved in that was just something I will never forget. It wasn't just a moment in a lifetime. It was a lifetime in a moment. For me it is never about the gifts but the thought of course but this is also one of my favorite funko pops :D. My collection hit I believe half a thousand pops recently and this one will always hold a special place in my shrine. Since Dash has gotten me it, it has become vaulted which is basically geek speak for rare lol.  So I do love this.  And everything I post is for users like this on this platform.   Hexen, Wartoy, Turf, Oldgamerz and more.  Just genuine friends and I wish you all a merry christmas :)

My Childhood PS2

The sacrafice my parents did, going from raising 3 boys in the project housings. from food stamps to bouncing back during a recession to give me and my brother who was still living in the house a life, and they came back and we were able to live lower middle class but comfortable for my life, and a chance for a tomorrow is the greatest gift of all. I was able to pursue what I pursue succeed or fail because of all them nights of them giving everything to gain a little and to somehow making miracles each and every christmas can never be repaid :). Losing heat and eating ham from an electric oven. Love from people is never unconditonal, sometimes when you slip these want to belittle you, but then when you got the mushroom and grow, they would catch a bullet for you and stick with you. But love and star power makes you invincible. You win some and you lose some. But you live to see another dream, but not if I lose this one. 14 hour shifts but a parent never punches out, their is no time card, their is reality.  It is beyond a plastic box to me. It is beyond words. A constant reminder of how a thousand candles can be lit with one candle, sharing love and giving back does not ever take away from the original source but only makes it brighter.  I will never forget those days coming home from school, and that red glow of the PS2 light admitting not a shred of warmth yet it feels like a oven of christmas ham to me. Long before stress or having to fill out forms. Video Gaming takes a mask off us as a collective community where we can be ourselves and live freely. A mask we thought we couldn't live without but know for certain we couldn't live within. The graphics as a 2000s baby to me were basically like how kids feel when the PS5 releases today. I was gifted this with Jak And Daxter Pre Cursor legacy. Still remember the sequences and cut scenes where Daxter falls into precursor stuff :)  This is my childhood. This was what was done. And I just cry because i'm nostalgic.

But with all that said my favorite christmas isn't even those 2. It isn't really a memory but more a feeling. My favorite christmas is the one I share with you all every year and especially my family in 4 days. From my grandmother who was an immigrant who worked 2 mill jobs to give my parents a chance at life and meeting, to the matriarch that is my mom who gives and gives and never takes. To now me which all this has led up to. It's hard not to be thankful.

So I want to say. Merry Christmas VGcollect.

If your space bar isn't stuck with all the sap, I hope you all can share your favorite christmas memory with us. I am so excited.

Thank you for sharing :)

I have been very fortunate to have some pretty awesome video game gifts during my life. I have a really hard time decided which one was the best but my top 2 would be getting my Nintendo 64 along with Super Mario 64 from my aunt Xmas Eve 1996 or getting my PS2 one Xmas Eve 2000. I was probably more surprised by the PS2 since I was all but certain I wouldn't get one given how hard they were to come by for the first 6-months or so after they came out. The N64 felt slightly more special since I feel like I got it at the perfect age to be totally blown away by it.

As for what VGcollect means to me, well, it's still the best online gaming forum I've ever belonged to. I only wish there was more activity on it like the old day. But it's definitely helped me keep my collection organized and also motivated me more to actually play the games I own.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

First I wish everyone a merry Christmas and happy holidays.

My favorite Christmas gift was given to me by my sister I was just 14 and she was 19.
It was a concert ticket to my favorite band Blue Oyster Cult,I was Shocked I had never been to a concert before.
She had got my mom and dad to agree to letting me go with her. I will never forget it was at the cape cod coliseum we had a awesome night.Sadly we lost her to cancer 2 years ago I miss her everyday.But I will always have the memory of this Christmas gift the best gift I ever got a night out with my sister.I realize this has nothing to do with gaming but it is my best Christmas gift ever.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 07:28:40 pm by wartoy »

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

I did get a Game Boy (along with Tetris and Super Mario Land) for Christmas ‘89, but the video-game related Christmas memory I’ll always remember is when I got a Super Nintendo for Christmas ‘91.

Not because it was a surprise, mind you……
But because, unbeknownst to my parents, in the days before Christmas I would go in the storage room and get it out to play it early, after my parents had gone to bed :D
I was VERY careful to put everything back in the box the way it was so there’d be no sign of tampering.

telekill

I was a Sega kid and fully planning on going with Saturn after loving my Game Gear and Genesis. Then at E3, the Saturn and Playstation were both shown and the PS1 looked far better game and design wise than what Sega was offering. I liked the look of the system and the controller. I liked the smaller memory card idea. Then the games shown looked better to me; Oddworld, ToShinDen, Wipeout, etc. It looked fantastic and I was on board. It helped that Sony decided to undercut the Saturn's price by $100 pricing it at $300 instead of the Saturn's $400. Still, I was 14 years old at the time and didn't have a job.

Right after E3 and for that entire summer, I decided to work my rear off doing various chores for the entire neighborhood to get the money to buy my Playstation. Yard work, walking dogs, house and dog sitting, etc. Even after working all summer, I managed to only get half of what I needed.... $150 or so. I wasn't going to be able to continue my work as school was starting meaning, I wasn't going to get a Playstation during its launch.

My grandparents had seen how hard I worked and decided to make me an offer. If I give them what I had earned, kept up with my chores (I lived with them), and didn't mind knowing what I got for Christmas, they would get me a Playstation for Christmas (1995). Of course, I forked over the money and did as requested. That Christmas, I woke to open my first Playstation with Ridge Racer. The next day, I mowed my uncle's lawn and he bought me a memory card for it. Then my dad got me Destruction Derby as well. It was one of my best Christmas memories as a kid.

I've been in the Playstation camp ever since.

A close second would be last year when I gifted my eldest my PS4 as I had just gotten the PS5. The look on their face was how I imagine mine looked so many years ago.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 11:21:57 am by telekill »

alligo

I don't know if it was at Christmas but I remember that my mother bought me Animal Crossing New World one day when I was sick.

It made me very happy but the "best" christmas was the one when she bought me my first PC. (with left 4 dead 2 lol)
I was really happy because it was a great gift but my mother also had to make sacrifices.

I will never thank her enough for everything she did. (she bought me most of my consoles while she was never helped and we lived decently)

https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

pzeke

To be perfectly honest, after prodding and snooping around my head, my gaming-related memories come mostly from birthdays and other special moments, but not Christmas. Growing up I used to be obsessed with LEGO, so that's pretty much what dominates those memories—sets from Ice Planet 2002, Blacktron Future Generation, and Space Police II are some of the best gifts I remember getting...and still wish I had.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!