Author Topic: Images for e-STORE Exclusives (Ltd Editions)???  (Read 470 times)

Images for e-STORE Exclusives (Ltd Editions)???
« on: December 30, 2023, 03:09:42 am »
Hi All,

Posting on the forum for further discussion - as suggested by Dhaabi.

A recent listing has been brought to the attention that the e-store exclusive editions often have their barcodes/item numbers stuck/printed on their cardboard shipping boxes.
Often in the shipping box itself, the limited/collector's edition will have its unique limited edition boxes containing all the goodies and/or the game itself (which may be inside/outside the limited edition box). 

I believe what has been uploaded into the database so far are only images of the limited edition boxes and not the cardboard shipping boxes with the barcode/item number as the "front &/ back" images.
There are probably also more like these out there (not just e-store exclusives).

Some examples including but not limited to:
- Secret of Mana Collector's Edition: https://vgcollect.com/item/141973
- Star Ocean: The Second Story R Collector's Edition: https://vgcollect.com/item/259194
- Final Fantasy Ultimate Collector's Edition: https://vgcollect.com/item/102022

However, all the ones mentioned above have their limited edition boxes containing all the items in addition to the shipping boxes.

To be honest, didn't pay attention to these e-STORE shipping boxes until the recent Dragon Quest listing mentioned below.

The question here is whether we should use the 'shipping boxes' with the barcode/item number printed on them as the "front &/ back" images for the database instead of the limited edition boxes?

E.g. Star Ocean: The Second Story R - change the current images to the coded shipping box instead? Which is currently the suggestion.
However, that would replace the limited edition box images that have been uploaded instead.

From current front image for Star Ocean

To shipping box with the barcode & item number for Star Ocean

Note: There is another scenario for these shipping boxes recently (which raised the topic here), where there is no limited edition box containing the items but just a cardboard shipping box (with barcode/item number) on it and it's strange to list all the contents from this edition as individual items in the database.

E.g. Dragon Question Monsters 3 Super Masters Edition https://vgcollect.com/item/259187
The shipping box with the barcode/item number has been accepted as the image here. Unlike the other e-STORE editions, this edition doesn't have a limited edition box containing all the items other than the shipping box with the barcode/item number itself.

In addition to all of the above, would be great if we could also discuss about the 'nature/purpose' of the 3rd image field (cart/disk/item) for the limited editions.
I have not been understanding this field correctly for the limited editions which was also why I don't usually load one in general - where I was referring to the whole limited edition 'items' as the "item" itself rather than just the 'game' cart/disk itself alone (as per standard edition listings). Can see this field is also often left 'blank' for the limited editions by people - for whatever reason. Would be good to know what others think regarding this field for the limited editions and its use?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 03:13:44 am by puddingm »

dhaabi

Re: Images for e-STORE Exclusives (Ltd Editions)???
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 09:06:42 am »
Something worth mentioning that isn't obviously stated is that cardboard shipping boxes for these items are unique to specific edition releases. Here are details for two of the above aforementioned items:
Star Ocean: The Second Story R Collector's Edition: SE-E3526, 4988601851664
Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Mazoku no Ouji to Elf no Tabi Super Masters Edition: SE-E3403, 4988601851633

and it's strange to list all the contents from this edition as individual items in the database.

Generally, entries can be created for the individual items found in these sorts of edition boxes. Do we need to be doing that for every edition release? No, not really. But if there is no outer container and items are bundled loose, then it's especially ideal for anyone wanting to catalog those items.

In addition to all of the above, would be great if we could also discuss about the 'nature/purpose' of the 3rd image field (cart/disk/item) for the limited editions.

Photographed group photos and advertised stock photos of the edition release's contents should not be submitted. The third art slot for media is, as its name implies, for media only. Refer to these two posts and the below style guide rule:

Cart art slot for physical Games, Consoles and Accessories
The third art slot, referred to as "cart-art" or cart/disc/item, must be of game or item itself and not include additional items in the picture. For example, an add-on for a console should not also show the console. A game should show the cart, disk or disc image and not additional packaging. If there are multiple discs, they can be present. Discs should not be shown in the case, but on their own. Image quality rules prevail, we will allow a low quality image if being used as proof of existance.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 10:42:43 am »
Shipping boxes, being unique or not, are out of scope currently. I would not create entries for them. However, in the description for the included item, info about the shipping box (such as the barcode) can be put there.

and it's strange to list all the contents from this edition as individual items in the database.

Do we need to be doing that for every edition release

You can if you want but there is no requirement to do so. So if you don't want to make all those entries now, that is fine. Typically it is better to do for older items which have been out in the world long enough so that the separate items can be found individually and added to collections. That doesn't typically happen to these newer sets, but give 5-10+ years and they will be in that state. I've already, personally, acquired individual components from thrift stores and lots that were part of CE/LE that were released since 2011 and did not have componentized listings here. So you can think about whether you want to save time for someone in the future (which is what making the entries when the item is new will do) or not.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 11:19:18 am »
Shipping boxes, being unique or not, are out of scope currently. I would not create entries for them. However, in the description for the included item, info about the shipping box (such as the barcode) can be put there.

So, this would mean that 259187 is not permitted, because there is no container for its components besides the shipping box, meaning a "Super Masters Edition" doesn't really exist at all. If those components are to be represented in the database, then they must be submitted as separate entries for each individual item. Correct?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:21:14 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:27 pm »

So, this would mean that 259187 is not permitted, because there is no container for its components besides the shipping box, meaning a "Super Masters Edition" doesn't really exist at all. If those components are to be represented in the database, then they must be submitted as separate entries for each individual item. Correct?

That entry has many issues. But first
Does the entry name exist in either Japanese or English on that cardboard box? I cannot find any photos of the box nor any unboxing videos of this version to see for myself.

Issues with description:
1. Description is taken from or based on some website's listing of the contents and it does not match what is present NOR is it formatted properly for here. Primarily the fact that digital items are listed as being included as physical items.
2. What is "e-STORE"? Is it Square-Enix e-STORE? If so it should be written like so. Also appears to be available at HMV.
3. Being an entry in the Switch game category, it is inferred to be a game, so using a term like "Switch game" is redundant.
4. The particular details regarding the language options should not be present here. I do not know whether the game included is exclusive to this or not (if it has that 25th label present) or if that label is on the retail release as well. But that type of info can be put on the individual game entry if it qualifies for having one.
5. Cushion blanket is not an ideal description unless it is actually what it is called. The advertising is secondary for the name, hopefully there is some BOM on the box that indicates what the name is. If it has no actual name, then we can have a debate as for what it should be called. It appears to be a Plush with a blanket inside of it. The measurements should not be present here. If it is indeed only to be called Cushion Blanket then it should get its own entry with that name.
6. Book title is wrong. Size, page info shouldn't be there.
7. The box does NOT include digital items. It includes a flyer with two codes.

So the description should be like so (this is an example is false/partial info):

Includes:
• Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Mazoku no Oiji to Elf no Tabi - Masters-ban
• "cushion blanket"
• Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Monster Synthesis Book
• DLC flyer
• purple sticker

DLC flyer has codes printed that unlock
• DLC name 1
• DLC name 2

Square Enix e-STORE exclusive
Sold online as "Super Masters Edition"

And I type all this just so that it is helpful in general with these types of entries, despite the following:
IF that shipping box does not actually have the entry name on it, then it may not be available to be made as an entry. The picture on the entry right now is terrible and should not be used as it doesn't show anything. It is just some tape and a blank side of the box. At least the side with the barcode it supposedly has should be shown. If the side with the info is the same side as the address, then the address can be removed. If you do not want the address to be removed, you can request that it be done digitally.

As for whether the individual parts should have their own entries, it is as usually, if you want. It seems that both the book and the plush are being sold online by themselves so you certainly can (even now) just buy those if you wanted. If you don't make the entry, someone else will in the future so it really is up to you whether you want to do it.

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 12:31:11 pm »
The picture on the entry right now is terrible and should not be used as it doesn't show anything. It is just some tape and a blank side of the box. At least the side with the barcode it supposedly has should be shown.

The current front image does show the barcode, as I previously linked.

Even if the front of the box were blank, we have other entry art which shows nondescript image information. 170669 immediately comes to mind. If the front of an item is nondescript, there isn't any reason to not use it. After all, the art slot is for front image, not any side of the item with discerning information image. Of course, this problem could be mitigated some should additional art slots become available, although I'm not outright advocating for them. Of course, issues also are avoided when sufficient Description field information is also supplied.

packaged in cardboard box
"e-STORE" and barcode labels affixed to box

includes:
• "cushion blanket"
• DLC flyer
• purple sticker

• DLC name 1
• DLC name 2

I would also suggest adding physical descriptions to the container itself (especially so since they can easily be removed), should the entry remain. Although, from the information puddingm has already supplied me, I do not think that will be the case since the barcode label is the only identifying information.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:59:47 pm by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 04:37:11 pm »
Yes the cardboard box line is ok to use where you did.

Until/Unless there are other pictures of the box besides that one, the title would be
Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Mazoku no Oiji to Elf no Tabi (SE-E3403)
Edition name can't be in the title (but you can put it in alt) because it isn't physically present on the outer box.

I don't particularly like the idea of having that generic box as being the front/back art but I think there can't be an exception made of it because then it becomes a game with separate items like the other online LE entries. I suppose people can choose whether they want an entry for a shipping box that contains all those parts or if they want separate entries for all the parts but not being any entry for the edition at all.

Let's be certain, the barcode is on a label but the E-store just looks like branded packing tape to me. Really low quality presentation from that company considering how they market these things and how much you have to pay for them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 04:38:48 pm by tripredacus »

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 09:33:31 pm »
Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Mazoku no Oiji to Elf no Tabi (SE-E3403)
- cool with that.

I suppose people can choose whether they want an entry for a shipping box that contains all those parts or if they want separate entries for all the parts but not being any entry for the edition at all.
- can we have both?  ???

packaged in cardboard box
"e-STORE" and barcode labels affixed to box

includes:
• "cushion blanket"
• DLC flyer
• purple sticker

• DLC name 1
• DLC name 2

The above is certainly useful as a format reference for these types of entries.

regarding the language options should not be present here
- where can we enter such info instead? sometimes it's mentioned at the back of the game case but not always.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 01:25:09 am by puddingm »

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 10:27:37 am »
I suppose people can choose whether they want an entry for a shipping box that contains all those parts or if they want separate entries for all the parts but not being any entry for the edition at all.
- can we have both?  ???

regarding the language options should not be present here
- where can we enter such info instead? sometimes it's mentioned at the back of the game case but not always.

For the first question. This seems to be a unique situation where the shipping box is the main box, in that it has (at least) a barcode and part number that directly ties to the product itself. This is the only reason why the entry is being allowed like it is currently. However, how common is this, especially with other game + LE content releases and no one was detailed enough to notice before?

Each entry is inherently for the container itself. In this instance, the game case counts as a "pack-in game with its own packaging" (unless it is not unique to the retail release that is) so the particulars regarding the data of that included item is considered to be "Trivia" in relation to the entry. So that information would be present on the entry(ies) for the pack-in game itself.

If you got this item sealed, make sure to note whether or not the game case has that blue 25th label on it or not, it may be important, especially if the game was not released at retail with that. It is hard to tell on YAJ as many of this LE are being sold piecemeal on there so I can't easily tell which games are like that or are normal sealed copies. The only reason I bring it up is because there are sealed copies of the game without that label.