Author Topic: PlayStation VR2 | Horizon Call of the Mountain announced!  (Read 2548 times)

PlayStation VR2 | Horizon Call of the Mountain announced!
« on: January 04, 2022, 09:39:42 pm »
PlayStation VR2 | PS VR2 (no space between VR and 2) is the official name of the "next generation virtual reality system for the PS5 console"!

The controller that was revealed last year is called the PlayStation VR2 Sense controller.

Official announcement with specs here: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the-next-generation-of-vr-gaming-on-ps5/

The first game, Horizon Call of the Mountain, was just announced with a very short teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/yPNn-jwAC9c

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/horizon-call-of-the-mountain-revealed-for-playstation-vr2/v

It is being developed by Horizon's developer Guerrilla and Sony's recent acquisition Firesprite which previously developed The Persistence.

No word yet if it will support all the previous PS VR games but with PS4 backwards compatibility being a thing chances are high! I have a bunch of VR games I'd like to play but I never bought the original version so being able to play them all on PS VR2 would be nice.

Meta Quest 2 (Oculus name is being phased out) has gotten pretty popular as of late and rumors suggest PS VR2 will have two million units available later this year.. are you interested?

Re: PlayStation VR2 | Horizon Call of the Mountain announced!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 09:55:59 pm »
I have a PS5, but I'm less interested in console VR, I'd rather focus on PC VR myself, it opens up more options and variety. 

I have the Quest 2 myself right now, but I am considering the Index down the road when I can afford it as the whole setup is way more pricey, but I think it would help with my biggest issue with the Quest 2, which is the awful resolution.  I think that is what causes me the most discomfort when I play, because the resolution feels like I'm looking at 720p picture that's been blown up and it's not crisp and clean, like if you watch footage of Resident Evil 4 VR, it doesn't look like that in game, it's much more pixely and low rez and that stuff bothers me quite abit.  It's not an issue with every game, I think Beat Saber is pretty great with Quest 2 and kinda simpler stuff, but there's stuff that require a little more oomph, that just don't do it, like I tried playing the Walking Dead game on it and it was pretty rough and the resolution thing is a problem for me just in general.

That's something that would make me curious for the VR2, is how good it looks with the headset on with it's higher rez OLED display and higher refresh rate.  That, combined with the price of whatever it will be, which will likely be probably 5 to 600 bucks minimum, could be enticing, but I still think I am gonna look to a new PC headset.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:00:47 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 10:08:16 pm »
I have a PS5, but I'm less interested in console VR, I'd rather focus on PC VR myself, it opens up more options and variety. 

I have the Quest 2 myself right now, but I am considering the Index down the road when I can afford it as the whole setup is way more pricey, but I think it would help with my biggest issue with the Quest 2, which is the awful resolution.  I think that is what causes me the most discomfort when I play, because the resolution feels like I'm looking at 720p picture that's been blown up and it's not crisp and clean, like if you watch footage of Resident Evil 4 VR, it doesn't look like that in game, it's much more pixely and low rez and that stuff bothers me quite abit.  It's not an issue with every game, I think Beat Saber is pretty great with Quest 2 and kinda simpler stuff, but there's stuff that require a little more oomph, that just don't do it, like I tried playing the Walking Dead game on it and it was pretty rough and the resolution thing is a problem for me just in general.

That's something that would make me curious for the VR2, is how good it looks with the headset on with it's higher rez OLED display and higher refresh rate.  That, combined with the price of whatever it will be, which will likely be probably 5 to 600 bucks minimum, could be enticing, but I still think I am gonna look to a new PC headset.  We'll see.
I think this will be on par with PC VR in terms of gaming and video. Maybe Half-Life: Alyx will be a launch title for it.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 10:43:40 pm »
I think this will be on par with PC VR in terms of gaming and video. Maybe Half-Life: Alyx will be a launch title for it.

I feel like Alyx is gonna stay PC myself, it's a pretty notable draw for the Index in particular being that it's free with it, though it's technically available for anything that can play PC VR, but who knows, maybe they've just been waiting for Sony to have something usable with their higher end VR experience.  Interestingly, the VR2 has a higher resolution than the Index according to the specs, which isn't too surprising being that the Index is almost two years old at this point.  I forgot the new Vive is coming out this year which much more significant resolution boost and could be a big one to go for, I don't know, I wish I had a way to easily test a few of the higher end headsets to figure out which one would be better for me.  And there's other that are interesting I need to look into, so who knows what I'll end up with right now lol
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:51:13 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 10:52:26 pm »

I feel like Alyx is gonna stay PC myself, it's a pretty notable draw for the Index in particular being that it's free with it, though it's technically available for anything that can play PC VR, but who knows, maybe they've just been waiting for Sony to have something usable with their higher end VR experience.  Interestingly, the VR2 has a higher resolution than the Index according to the specs, which isn't too surprising being that the Index is almost two years old at this point.  I forgot the new Vive is coming out this year which much more significant resolution boost and could be a big one to go for, I don't know, I wish I had a way to easily test a few of the higher end headsets to figure out which one would be better for me.
They released Alyx on everything that was capable of running it and Gabe Newell doesn't seem against releasing games on console again: https://youtu.be/3sDJevZcDP0

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 10:59:33 pm »
They released Alyx on everything that was capable of running it and Gabe Newell doesn't seem against releasing games on console again: https://youtu.be/3sDJevZcDP0

Cool if it does, that'll be a huge draw for sure as I know it's considered one of the best when it comes to VR, I haven't checked it out myself as I think I can play through Oculus Link on PC, but I don't want to do any higher end game stuff anymore on my Quest 2 just because I don't think the system is good enough for it and I think it sorta soured the few things I have that weren't Beat Saber.

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:50:18 pm »
Cool.
Now, unless that piece of crap high tech marvel works WITHOUT a PS5, they better start shipping some consoles so that we can enjoy everything the future has to offer.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:09:21 pm by ferraroso »

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 07:35:08 pm »
Cool.
Now, unless that piece of crap high tech marvel works WITHOUT a PS5, they better start shipping some consoles so that we can enjoy everything the future has to offer.
They are on track to have shipped 22.6 million PS5 consoles by the end of this March.

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:11:20 pm »
They are on track to have shipped 22.6 million PS5 consoles by the end of this March.

Apparently, only 12 of those to Japan (where I live) though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 08:24:17 pm by ferraroso »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 09:10:53 pm »
Neat. I might actually get one.

Though it’s hard to compete with wireless vr (quest 2).

The true 360 degree freedom trumps graphic fidelity for me.

telekill

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 10:05:03 pm »
The tech improvements seem great. What I'm not wanting to know is the cost. I'm betting $500 for the headset as I believe it comes with the new controllers as well. That means I won't be buying one until at least a couple years after launch and hopefully at a significant discount such as black Friday. Now it's a matter of what games are available for it and Horizon isn't going to cut it.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 10:45:40 pm »
The tech improvements seem great. What I'm not wanting to know is the cost. I'm betting $500 for the headset as I believe it comes with the new controllers as well. That means I won't be buying one until at least a couple years after launch and hopefully at a significant discount such as black Friday. Now it's a matter of what games are available for it and Horizon isn't going to cut it.
What games would you like to see?

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 11:16:31 pm »
Something I'd like to see is Resident Evil 8 getting the VR treatment like RE7 did.  That's not specifically a PSVR thing I want to happen being that I'm gonna stick with PC VR stuff, but RE7 had Sony money behind it to get VR in that and RE8 getting that added in afterwards would be cool.

telekill

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 10:03:15 am »

First and foremost, they need to significantly lower motion sickness while walking. I enjoyed the idea of the game Robinson the Journey... but couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without getting a severe headache. Eventually I just stopped after maybe a single hour's worth of play time completed. Even Astro gave me a headache but it was vastly improved over Robinson. For the first PSVR that left games like Star Trek Bridge Crew, Moss, and Audica. All fun in their own right but not the experiences I was hoping to see.

I think one thing they could have done really well with is bringing people together in the VR space. Think of something like PS3's Home... but in VR with various mini games to help create socialization. Games like board games, card games, pool and darts. Etc... I'm honestly surprised Nintendo hasn't jumped in the VR space, doing exactly what I described mixing VR with AR into an epic Pokémon card battle game.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:08:33 am by telekill »

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 10:06:14 pm »
I think one thing they could have done really well with is bringing people together in the VR space. Think of something like PS3's Home... but in VR with various mini games to help create socialization. Games like board games, card games, pool and darts. Etc... I'm honestly surprised Nintendo hasn't jumped in the VR space, doing exactly what I described mixing VR with AR into an epic Pokémon card battle game.
You're pretty much describing the free game Rec Room.