Author Topic: Pegi rating changes  (Read 520 times)

Pegi rating changes
« on: January 08, 2022, 11:11:50 am »
I was going through the database filling out some listings for the Xbox 360 and noticed that Amped 3 had both a Pegi 7 and a Pegi 12 release cover (Seemingly for all or most European regions). Searching through the database, I can only see one other instance of this happening (Burnout Dominator). I was wondering if anyone had any information how/why 2 different Pegi variants exist (I'm assuming there must of been some regrading later?) and how common this actually is to happen.

dhaabi

Re: Pegi rating changes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 12:25:27 pm »
Updating the rating for a game is not a common occurrence, but it does happen from time to time. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (ESRB T, ESRB M) and Bubsy 3D (ESRB K-A, ESRB E) are other examples. The change regarding Bubsy 3D is more likely the case of the K-A rating being phased out of the ESRB as there are other examples of games rated K-A being reprinted with the E rating. Meanwhile, there is a lot of documentation regarding the updated ratings for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The reason for the change seems to be that the the original rating was decided upon without full understanding of the game's content and its context.

I imagine the reasons for updated ratings for Amped 3 and Burnout Dominator are similar to Oblivion or that the criteria for a PEGI 3 game changed during the time of these titles' releases.

tripredacus

Re: Pegi rating changes
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 10:13:33 am »
Take note that some items in the db are bad entries and have wrong rating or a pre-release/stock photo has a different rating than actually exist. So make sure that things exist before thinking there is a variation.

For why a game may exist with multiple ratings are one of two things:
1. There was a reprint and the game got re-rated.
2. The other rating is for a specific country. We already know that this type of thing exists with Portugal, so it may also be true for other countries.