Author Topic: Database search function improvement  (Read 600 times)

Warmsignal

Database search function improvement
« on: January 18, 2022, 11:04:50 pm »
Part of the reason why I stopped logging my games here, and didn't want to go back through a figure them all out is because the database search is too cumbersome, because it's too rigid and specific. Unless you type it exact charter for character the way that the title is entered into the database, you get 0 results, or irrelevant results. On top of that, what you've typed is then forgotten by the quick search bar. This makes it a struggle to add titles to collection or wishlist.

It took me 2 to 3 minutes to add Little Big Planet 3 to my collection, because I didn't know the title for my version had been entered as "LittleBigPlanet" all one word, and the database does not simply include all results that matches key words regardless of run-on. My result came up with a different edition of the game someone had entered WITH spaces. I was forced to then browse the entire PS4 library to find the version I actually wanted to add, because I couldn't figure out the riddle of how my search was wrong.

The database desperately needs to be able to show all results with matching key words and numbers regardless of being broken up between spaces, or weather special characters like colons, semi-colons, dashes, etc, are included in the search or not.

Take for example, another cataloging site that I use called RF Generation. Searching their database for "Little Big Planet 3" shows all results with "little", "big", and "planet" with the number "3" all somewhere in the title or edition of the item. This keeps my results relevant and they are the only ones given, despite having entered spaces that were not supposed to be there. The VG Collect database search should work like this. I should not be getting results for LittleBigPlanet 2 when I entered "3" as a key phrase or Stuart Little 3 when "Stuart" was not in my search. It should automatically exclude anything with a 2 or with Stuart, and anything that doesn't have little, big, or planet in the title with a 3.

I don't know if it's a specific kind of integrated site building software we are using to perform these searches, or if you guys designed the search somehow on your own. It really needs some help.

dhaabi

Re: Database search function improvement
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 11:32:30 am »
While the basic search behavior could be improved, there are also tools you can use in how you enter the items you're searching for beyond the preset tools available within the advanced search settings. I would recommend reading this topic.

Re: Database search function improvement
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 12:39:04 pm »
I have to agree that the search is tedious.  It is likely offputting for new users.  I end up looking through browse (https://vgcollect.com/browse/gb) clicking number by number to find a game or variant because it is easier.